Thread: Moab Hiking/Basic Canyoneering

Moab Hiking/Basic Canyoneering

Starting to plan a trip down in the Moab area for March (I know jumping the gun on this one), we don't get out camping/hiking in the winter, March is our first attempt to get out and I'm always anxious to shake the cabin fever off.

I'd like to get some good hiking and basic canyoneering in while we are down there. We've done some of the regular stuff down there like Arches NP, Corona, Tower, and some exploring in Onion Creek. I'd like to stay out of the park and don't mind driving an hour or so outside of Moab. I'd consider myself a "hardcore" adventurer and we can handle 2II-2III stuff.

If you'd like to share a few suggestions I'd appreciate it. Native American stuff would be cool also.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Moonshine Wash
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/moonshine.htm

and

Horseshoe Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/horseshoe.htm

are some of my favorite hikes.

That looks like some good stuff, thank's guys for your information and help.

If you could guess a travel time to Horseshoe Canyon from MOAB, what would it be?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    If you could guess a travel time to Horseshoe Canyon from MOAB, what would it be?
    What kind of vehicle will you be driving? From Moab to Green River would be just under an hour. From Green River to Horseshoe Canyon on the dirt road should be about 2 hours, for a total of about 3 hours. If you're driving a passenger car, I would add at least 30 or 45 minutes to the dirt road driving.

The dirt road south from Green River can be pretty rough. I drove the other dirt road, coming in from Highway 24, last weekend, and it was in excellent shape all the way to the Horseshoe Canyon turnoff, but after that it got pretty rough. Here is what the road looked like last Sunday, but if all that snow has melted and the road has received a lot of traffic, it might be messy. Of course, taking this route will add about 35 highway miles to the drive, but it would remove about 10 dirt road miles. It probably evens out when you consider the condition of the dirt road is better this way.

WOW!! Thanks for the tips!!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.