Thread: You're a big kitty.....yes you are.....

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

You're a big kitty.....yes you are.....

There had been talk that there was a mountain lion prowling around our area of South Mountain. I live by the golf course where the deer like to come down and munch, so it would make sense. I also thought I heard it late one night while I was sitting on my balcony. The sound I heard made my pet cat go flying inside and she wouldn't come back out.

Here is what my neighbor's surveillance camera caught a couple of nights ago......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

gulp kind of scary kitty cat
    be carefull girl

I've seen cougar tracks lots of times hiking up Corner Canyon. I know at least one cougar lives in the rocks next to the Storm Window arch.

Storm Window
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/stormwin.htm

Actually seeing a cougar is anther story. I've only seen two cougers in the wild when I was not hunting them. When you hunt cougers you do it at night and call them in.

DickHead
    My what a big kitty.

ummm.. yeahhhh...

Has anyone seen a cougar's eyes at night? Are they green?

The reason I'm asking is the wife and I were doing a night hike up on the BST near Corner Canyon in October, and about 75 yards uphill of us through the bushes I spied a pair of eyes looking at us. I had my headlamp on so it wasn't incredibly bright, but enough to see the glow of the eyes looking at us.

Normally that wouldn't bother me but for some reason this time it really freaked me out. Mostly because they didn't flinch, they didn't move... just stared. I didn't want to be read about in the paper the next day so we hightailed it outta there pretty quick-like

Deer's eyes shine white, so I know it wasn't that.

Anybody else have this experience or am I just delusional?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    Has anyone seen a cougar's eyes at night? Are they green?
    I'll guess a coyote. They have a greenish gold color at night and there are a bunch coyotes in the Corner Canyon area. Cougars have yellowish eyes at night.

Nice kitty!

Thanks for sharing.......those are some enormous teeth.

Reminds me of a great Boulder story.

A friend of mine used to work at NCAR in Boulder. NCAR is right up at the Flatirons on the west side of town, much further west and you need to use the Yosemite Decimal system to rate your hike...

He comes out of work at 6PM or so in the summer and sees about 150lbs of mountain lion sunning itself on the hood of his car. Goes back inside and calls the wife: "Honey, I'm gonna be late and you'll never believe why..."

Turns out she did end up believing as they took a camera out and shot some pics but she argued with him until the darkroom was done with the film.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Now lets talk about your neighbors security camera...... tell me where its at and I'll give him a Paris Hilton type show while wearing a gorrilla mask.... only we'll call the show "The One Man Band".

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Now lets talk about your neighbors security camera...... tell me where its at and I'll give him a Paris Hilton type show while wearing a gorrilla mask.... only we'll call the show "The One Man Band".
    Another good avatat idea for you Iceaxe!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbessee
    Reminds me of a great Boulder story.

A friend of mine used to work at NCAR in Boulder. NCAR is right up at the Flatirons on the west side of town, much further west and you need to use the Yosemite Decimal system to rate your hike...

He comes out of work at 6PM or so in the summer and sees about 150lbs of mountain lion sunning itself on the hood of his car. Goes back inside and calls the wife: "Honey, I'm gonna be late and you'll never believe why..."

Turns out she did end up believing as they took a camera out and shot some pics but she argued with him until the darkroom was done with the film.
    I'd love to see a photo of that! Did they just shoo the cat away, or did the Wildlife dept come out? From what I gather from the neighbors here, the plan is for the Wildlife dept to capture the animal and release it in another area. Some just want to see the animal put down, but I think that's just wrong. It's done no harm. It's a shame that they are indeed wild creatures, because I would love to be able to approach one and see it up close. I'm a cat lover (ok.....no cheap shots now!) but I'd hate to scoop a litter box for one that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

And this would be different from your normal attire and behavior in some manner?

I don't even want to ask what instrument you'll be playing in your One Man Band......

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    I'd love to see a photo of that! Did they just shoo the cat away, or did the Wildlife dept come out? From what I gather from the neighbors here, the plan is for the Wildlife dept to capture the animal and release it in another area. Some just want to see the animal put down, but I think that's just wrong. It's done no harm. It's a shame that they are indeed wild creatures, because I would love to be able to approach one and see it up close. I'm a cat lover (ok.....no cheap shots now!) but I'd hate to scoop a litter box for one that size.
    Nobody came out. This was prior to Boulder growing so much and it was basically just a college town and the NCAR guys a bunch of long-hair research types. They called the county but said that noone was in danger and just waited until it got started by the car of an arriving night-shift guy and left on it's own. Nobody was crazy enough to get close to it as they do get their backs up if they feel threatened and as noted in replies above, they have good dental work....
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats