Thread: Snowshoeing W/ kids?

Snowshoeing W/ kids?

hey gang,

i'm looking for some suggestions on areas we can snowshoe w/ kids, or more to the point , where my wife and i can snowshoe and drag each of out kids behind us in small sleds...
    i've heard Mt Dell golfcourse is a good spot, any comments?
    any other options close to town (ie sugarhouse).

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How old are your kids? If they are over 2, there are snowshoes made for them.

Upper Millcreek, Dog Lake from Big Cottonwood, or Donut Falls would be good.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Donut Falls is primo with kids.

http://climb-utah.com/WM/donut.htm

kids are 2 and 4.

4 year old has his own shoes, 2 year old does not.
    but i'm counting on my 4 year old to poop out long before we stop.
    so i'm looking for something relatively flat.

didn't the Donut Falls trail get closed by the property owners last summer due to vandalism?
    i was thinking Mill D to Dog Lake might be a little steep for my 4 year old w/ snowshoes on... maybe will give it a try.

My wife is taking her 4th grade class on a snowshoeing field trip up at the Spruces campground in Big Cottonwood. I guess they are getting a tour by the forest service or something, and overall it sounds pretty kid friendly.

She said it was pretty flat for the most part, and it had to be for even most 10 year olds in the class to enjoy it.

Have fun. Do your kids have those little snowshoes that are in the shape of dinosaur or bird tracks? I wish they made those for adults.

Also, there is a trail that we've done a few times as a moonlight social snowshoe (translated: non strenuous) up Emigration canyon.
    As you approach the big hairpin turn near the top of the canyon, veer left toward the subdivisions up there. Then stay right when the road forks again and at the very end of the driveway there are a few obvious parking spots. There is a nice packed trail with a gradual incline that runs next to the stream for a ways.

we make a big loop out of it by branching off the main trail and making our own, but the main trail would be great for kids.

have fun!

LOL...OH Dinosaur of course!

my kid about lost it when he saw them..

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    LOL...OH Dinosaur of course!

my kid about lost it when he saw them..
    Nice! actually I retract the wish for dinosaur prints in favor of Sasquatch tracks! It'd be fun to hear the news reports of large un-identified mammal tracks spotted in the canyons

My kids have the Big Foot snowshoes. They never get tired wearing those things cause they think its sucha good joke.

Last time I went to Donut Falls their was a sign mentioning something about trail closed..... but I didn't see it

I wasn't the only one who can't read that was at the falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    Also, there is a trail that we've done a few times as a moonlight social snowshoe (translated: non strenuous) up Emigration canyon.
    As you approach the big hairpin turn near the top of the canyon, veer left toward the subdivisions up there. Then stay right when the road forks again and at the very end of the driveway there are a few obvious parking spots. There is a nice packed trail with a gradual incline that runs next to the stream for a ways.
    are you talking about the exit to Kilyon canyon? trail head is right by that BnB

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    are you talking about the exit to Kilyon canyon? trail head is right by that BnB
    Yeah I think you may be right. I don't know that area very well but when we were making plans for the snowshoe they did mention Kilyon canyon.

I just did a quick mapquest search and the road we parked on is in fact called Kilyon Canyon lane. you must be right then.

Have fun. Do your kids have those little snowshoes that are in the shape of dinosaur or bird tracks? My kids have the Big Foot snowshoes.
    All those snowshoes above suck big time, at least if they are made by Redfeather. I (mistakingly) bought several pairs when they were on sale. They are made for walking around the yard and around the park, and NOT for real hiking or mountaineering. Worthless pieces of junk. They don't even have crampons for climbing steep hills/moun tains.

I bought some EMS and they work much better.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thursday's (1/19) Tribune has an Outdoor section and always has a hike/snowshoe of the week in it. This weeks is a family centered snowshoe on Beaver Creek Trail in the Wasatch/Cache Natl Forest (Uinta area). The picture has a 4 year old snowshoeing. It's 12 miles round trip, but obviously, you can do as much of that as you want. It's allows groomed for skiers on Thursdays, snowshoers keep to the side and dont tread on the groomed part. You'd probably be able to pull a sled for your little one easily.... and its beautiful out there. If you can get a Trib, check it out, it sounds perfect for what you're looking for.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost