Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 5.10 Canyoneers? Likes, dislikes, advice

I called the BD store and they still have that sale going for the sizes left in-stock. Largest available was 12.5.

On that note, my last pair of the original Canyoneer's I bought size 14's to wear with neoprene socks and it was a good fit (I'm usually a 12). They officially fell the rest of the way apart last month so I'm going to pickup a pair of Canyoneer 2's. Is the sizing about the same? From what I've read most buy just one size over their usual shoe size but I don't think I could have fit into a 13 with my original pair. Maybe my neo socks are just too thick?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My experiance is that the sizing is not consistent between production runs of 5.10 Canyoneers.... in other words a size 9 is not always a size nine.

Your Mileage May Vary

If you had to make a generalization would you say that one size larger to accommodate the neo socks is usually fine or do a lot of people go two sizes larger?

It really depends on the neoprene socks. I always buy Neo socks with the shoes and consider them mated for life.

My shoes are currently one size larger and I wear them with what I'd call a thin neoprene sock.

FWIW: I've found a heavy wool sock is NOT as thick as a thin neoprene sock. If I'm shopping for 5.10 canyoneers and I don't have a neo sock to drag along I'll bring a heavy wool sock and make sure the shoe is not tight with those.

The only time I ever go up two shoe sizes is if I'm heading out to the bar and want to impress the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: I've found a heavy wool sock is NOT as thick as a thin neoprene sock. If I'm shopping for 5.10 canyoneers and I don't have a neo sock to drag along I'll bring a heavy wool sock and make sure the shoe is not tight with those.
    Try these:

http://www.sweatersintl.com/store/norsocks.html

I can wear my Canyoneers with these or with 5 mm neos. When guiding cold/wet canyons, I hike in with the wool and put on neos before hitting the water. They are the thickest wool socks I've ever seen, and work well with 5.10 Canyoneers. YMMV, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: The Canyoneer 2's were retailing for $129 but the price just jumped to $145. Five-Ten already has them marked $145 on their website but a lot of places still have the $129 price tag.
    FWIW - Backcountry.com at my request (I know the canyoneering/rock-climbing buyer for Backcountry) is now carrying the SAR edition of the Canyoneer2. In essence still same show, however it has more surface area for gripping, improved and higher ankle support, and not bright pee yellow. And the price is $139, compared to the Canyoneer2 at $129. But, if you have a Bro Code (which is easy enough to google) you can drop it down by 10-15%.

And a side-note: And by summer of next year (2012), they should be carrying most of Tom's inventory (and of course if Tom agrees to it next year)! The buyer recently made a huge purchase of Blue Water and Black Diamond before I had her check out Tom's stuff...so she is waiting for that that inventory to go away before she purchases some new stuff, and unfortunately that's not till next summer.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I have not worn them, but have heard that the SAR edition of the Canyoneer is very stiff-soled due to a plastic shank. If true, might not be the best for climbing/stemming (but prolly nice for hiking). Anyone out there w/experience in these?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    I have not worn them, but have heard that the SAR edition of the Canyoneer is very stiff-soled due to a plastic shank. If true, might not be the best for climbing/stemming (but prolly nice for hiking). Anyone out there w/experience in these?
    I have a pair, and think they are exactly the same. Feels the same, acts the same - however the ankle support definitely feels better. The canyoneer1/2 dig into my heels if I'm not wearing neoprene, and I walk way with blood blisters on the back of my heel. Not fun. So far, in wool, the SAR doesn't dig into my heel since they raised it a bit.

I've taken them through Heaps, Corral Hollow, Lodge, and Pinecreek, and have no complaints.

Although, getting a $10 pair from ZAC in "sufficient" shape has it's appeal too...I have 4 used pairs of those for loaners and work great.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Mountain Man
    On the other foot, I've been partial to La Sportiva. I did not like the original 5.10 Canyoneers 5 years ago, so I opted for the Exum Rivers. They lasted till this spring, in unholy beat up condition with basically a smooth tread and threads holding the sides together. I went La Sportiva again and got the Exum Pro (the River is discontinued). La Sportiva's "Frixion" rubber is probably not as sticky as the stealth rubber of the 5.10s, but the shoe is ungodly tough, very comfy, sticky enough in my use, and eminently great as an approach shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    La Sportiva's "Frixion" rubber is probably not as sticky as the stealth rubber of the 5.10s,
    The biggest difference I have seen been the Frixion rubber and Stealth rubber is that in extreme cold (below 25 degrees F), the stickiness of the frixion rubber disappears to a much great extent than the stealth rubber. And if it gets reallllly cold the frixion becomes like wearing horseshoes on slickrock. YMMV.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dsr70 View Post
    On the other foot, I've been partial to La Sportiva. I did not like the original 5.10 Canyoneers 5 years ago, so I opted for the Exum Rivers. They lasted till this spring, in unholy beat up condition with basically a smooth tread and threads holding the sides together. I went La Sportiva again and got the Exum Pro (the River is discontinued). La Sportiva's "Frixion" rubber is probably not as sticky as the stealth rubber of the 5.10s, but the shoe is ungodly tough, very comfy, sticky enough in my use, and eminently great as an approach shoe.
    Guiding, we have an upclimb we do pretty often. When wet or especially gritty, I take a sling from above, but usually I do it on my own. In Canyoneers and other 5.10 shoes, I am somewhere around 50 for 50 on the upclimb. On Sportiva shoes, Exum Rivers and other approach shoes, I am 3 for 5. So, no, not as sticky.

I found the Exum River got torn up really fast. The Cirque Pros I got a lot of use out of and enjoyed, for dry conditions.

Tom
    Last edited by ratagonia; 06-13-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Quote Originally Posted by snatch View Post
    5.10 canyoneers...where to begin.

2. Not enough cushion in the sole. My feet get bruised after long canyons.

5. Internal foot slide. After canyons w/ a lot of steep descents or downclimbs my big toe has ended up w/ blood blisters under the toe nail.

7. Stealth Rubber Sole. It is VERY, VERY sticky.

...other than that, the 5.10 canyoneers are great!
    I just got a pair of these and agree with the above. My solution was to pull out the insoles and replace with the orange Super Feet insoles. The shoes are just dandy now