Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 5.10 Canyoneers? Likes, dislikes, advice

Well I got my 10.5 size and it seems too big, so I am buying 9.5 to compare the two. If anyone cares to look at them or try the size on, let me know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kazak, if you plan to wear neoprene socks make sure you try on the shoe while wearing said socks. It makes a big differance. Also, you can adjust shoe size some what depending on the thickness of neoprene's you plan to wear.

Once I find a sock and shoe size that work well together I usually buy a couple pair of neo's, because you will wear out several pairs of neo's over the life of the shoe and finding the right combination is not always easy.

anyhoo.... that's my 2 cents.

I now have 9.5 and 10.5 Canyoneer 2 shoes in my house, going to send the wrong size back in a few days. If anyone wants to try out the size, please PM me. I live in East Millcreek (east side of the SLC valley)

FYI, I just came back from Canyons Sports place in Ogden on Riverdale and they have 5.10 Canyoneer in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    FYI, I just came back from Canyons Sports place in Ogden on Riverdale and they have 5.10 Canyoneer in stock.
    Are they still going for $90?

Ummm, can't remember, but I thought they were more like 95 bucks or something in that nature. Under a hundred.

Bump..... My buddy, Spiderman Steve, gave really good reviews of the new and improved shoe after doing several Powell canyons in several days. He had no lamination problems after stemming, swimming, hiking, scraping ....etc. No drains popped out nothing like the last shoe. I am off to get a pair, but where? Any other reviews out there?
    Life is Good

I went down to hidden splendor the 16th with the new canyoneer2. We went through segers hole and then through little wild horse on the 17th. The shoes performed excellent. we made it 3/4 the way through segers and it started to rain really hard. We ended up climbing up on a ledge out of the water course and waited for the rain to stop. I was quit scared but after that 10 mile treck the shoes are still looking good. here are some pics we took

Short Update:

A bunch of the folks I canyoneer with have been using the new Five-Ten Canyoneer 2 for over one month. My first impressions are....

This shoe appears to be a major improvement over the old style Canyoneers. My current take is if you liked the old style you will really like the new style. If you did not like the old style you may or may not like the new style.

From what I have experienced and witnessed to date, and considering all other canyoneering shoes currently available..... If I were going down today to buy a new canyoneering shoe for myself it would be the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2.

That statement might change with time, more testing or a new shoe being introduced.....

YMMV

Zion Adventure Company has the Canyoneer 2 on sale for $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I liked it when they had the used Canyoneers for 10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by snatch
    5.10 canyoneers...where to begin.

1. No ankle support. I've rolled my ankles countless times

2. Not enough cushion in the sole. My feet get bruised after long canyons.

3. Plastic straps? Who the hell came up w/ these? I've had them break during a canyon. Luckily we had a zip tie in the canyon.
    Agree with all of the above. 2nd or third time out, one of the plastic buckes broke. Used a rivet to secure it back onto the shoe for the next time out. Eventually had to rivet the other as well.

4. Fit. They're so difficult to get on my feet that I've actually needed to clip a biner onto the heel strap so i can pull hard enough.
    Yup. They get particularly stiff any time it's cold out. I would get muscle cramps in my calves just trying to get the darn things on. I solved the problem by cutting some relief into the shoe with a pair of scissors.

5. Internal foot slide. After canyons w/ a lot of steep descents or downclimbs my big toe has ended up w/ blood blisters under the toe nail.

6. Water drainage. The metal screens that keep sand and small pebbles out while draining the water from the inside have fallen out on ever pair of 5.10's that I've seen.
    Mine were a bit big on me and they gave me blisters at first. I solved that problem by wearing two pair of socks. But the drain holes fell out, the side seams got tears in them and the insoles became delaminated. All of the above after less than a dozen canyons. Which in turn, allowed little rocks and debris in. Who the heck wants to be taking their shoes off every 15 minutes to empty trash?

7. Stealth Rubber Sole. It is VERY, VERY sticky. However, I've seen the entire sole peeling off of the shoe on several pairs. Super glue is a temporary fix.
    Loved the sticky rubber at first. I wore those crappy 5.10 canyoneers until the end & got a good two years out of them at least. They pretty much disintegrated off my feet last trip, so I went looking for a replacement shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Here's some reviews on the 5.10 Insight. It sounds like a good shoe
    http://tinyurl.com/9a4h3
    I just bought a pair of the insights and like them so far! With the exception, of having bought them a half size too big. I still need to wear two pair of socks.

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

The new canyoneers are great. I have had no problem with them in 3 canyons. My feet are 13's so I had to buy 14's. There are no half size for big feet. I found the 13's were too small and hurt my feet. They are sticky, no lamination problems and drain well. I like the neo cuff. My foot is narrow and frankly I wish they had one or two more holes in the buckle to really tighten the thing up. Other than that, best shoe (imho) on the market for canyoneering. My canyoneering partner has beat them up in many, many canyons and they still look great. He used to hate the old shoe but seems to really like the new one. Also, I have had no ankle problems or problems with the buckle.
    Life is Good

I took my canyoneer 2 through about 8 canyons now and beat them up as a newbie suppose to I like them so far and every time I think I have blisters at the end of the trip, I surprise myself as I take my boots off. So far so good, I am surprisingly happy with the shoes and how they fit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Now they are down to $60, with tax and shipping to SLC my total was about $74, not bad. They still seem to have most sizes in stock. I think you have to call to order them.

Eric.

The 5.10's work great for hanging Christmas lights. I have steep pitch on my roof. I put on my tennis shoes and slipped and slid and scared the crud out of me, so I put on some cheep hiking boots which also slipped and slid. So finally the light bulb went on and I put on my canyoneer 2's and up on the roof I went. Stuck like glue. I did however lasso my daughters bed and anchored on a pine tree on the opposite side of my house so as to appease my wife. It was a fun time last night in the wind and the dark with my head lamp on, my harness cinched up, my shunt locked off and my trusty 5.10's sticking to the roof. I wonder what the neighbors thought?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Now they are down to $60, with tax and shipping to SLC my total was about $74, not bad. They still seem to have most sizes in stock. I think you have to call to order them.
    ZAC
    435-772-0990

Black Diamond in SLC has the 5.10 Canyoneer 2 on sale for $89. Shoes are located downstairs and they had most sizes last week when I stopped and bought the hot young stripper wife a pair.

sonofa! I just bought mine two weeks ago.
    On a thread related note: buy insoles to replace the crap ones it comes with.

FWIW: The Canyoneer 2's were retailing for $129 but the price just jumped to $145. Five-Ten already has them marked $145 on their website but a lot of places still have the $129 price tag, which makes the $89 shoes at Black Diamond a pretty good deal if you are wanting a pair.