Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.10 Canyoneers? Likes, dislikes, advice

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    I don't know why they get a bad rap with some people, I thought they were worth every penny. I do agree they are pretty ugly though.
    The bad rap comes from some fall apart really fast and some don't. And its really just the luck of the draw to see if you get a good pair or not. It dose help the life if you shoe goo all the seams and where the stealth rubber bonds to the shoe. The shoe goo looks ugly, but really extends the life of the shoe...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The 5-10 Canyoneering shoes do not come in women's sizes. The toe box is too wide and by the end of a long slog the lack of support takes its toll and my feet just plain ache. I wear my Montrail approach shoes and the sticky rubber works fine.

Carol

Hansen's Mountaineering (aka High Adventure Sports) at about 1900 N State St. in Orem is closing out their stock of Canyoneers for 59 dollars. Unfortunately it looked like the only sizes they have are between 7 and 8.5. If you are small footed, you may want to call and check if they have your size because this is a great deal.

I hear Five-Ten will have Canyoneers for sale in May.

Some are saying these are the new style Canyoneer 2, some are saying these are part of a production run of the old style to help cover the shortage until the Canyoneer 2 is released in 2007.

Anyhoo.... looks like you will be able to buy Five-Ten Canyoneers soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    Hansen's Mountaineering (aka High Adventure Sports) at about 1900 N State St. in Orem is closing out their stock of Canyoneers for 59 dollars. Unfortunately it looked like the only sizes they have are between 7 and 8.5. If you are small footed, you may want to call and check if they have your size because this is a great deal.

hey thanks for the tip...my wife just stopped by and kicked me up a spare pair!

she also said that the sales person said that they were expecting the "new" shoe from 5.10 but couldn't say when.
    i wonder if these are the ones that shane is refering to?

@ $60 a pair, i'll buy all the have....

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    hey thanks for the tip...my wife just stopped by and kicked me up a spare pair!

she also said that the sales person said that they were expecting the "new" shoe from 5.10 but couldn't say when.
    i wonder if these are the ones that shane is refering to?

@ $60 a pair, i'll buy all the have....
    Sometimes I curse my Size 10 feet and size large body. I never have luck finding any shoes at close-out prices or being the only bidder on wetsuits, jackets, etc. on Ebay!

RRRRrrrr

F'n 5.10's....
    so my wife brought me home a 8.5 which is what my other pair is...
    and they are sized about 2 sizes small... man they need to get their shit together. she said they had 4 pair left (2-7's, 1-8, and the 8.5 she got me, which is now going back)

the size inconsistency is my biggest complaint about these shoes!

If it's an issue of a mis-marked size, can't you send them back to 5.10 to get a "true" 8.5?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    the size inconsistency is my biggest complaint about these shoes!
    I'll ROGER that......

I am also worried about the little straps. Mine over the years have taken a beating but have held up better than the sole. Also, any drains? Where are the drains? I am easily entertained by water squirting out the sides of my shoes when I step out of the water. I need drains.

Scott Card
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Also, any drains? Where are the drains? I am easily entertained by water squirting out the sides of my shoes when I step out of the water. I need drains.

The first time I used a pair of Canyoneers I spent most the day watching the water squirt out the cute little drains..... squirting water makes slogging fun

Latest update on the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2.

Good News: It appears the rumored shippment will be the Canyoneer 2's. Or second generation shoes.

Bad News: It appears the shippment has been pushed back until mid July. And don't be surprised if it slips back further.

Five Ten Canyoneer 2 appears for sale at Mountain Gear

https://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...tem/203517/N/0

-Rob

5.10 canyoneers...where to begin.

1. No ankle support. I've rolled my ankles countless times

2. Not enough cushion in the sole. My feet get bruised after long canyons.

3. Plastic straps? Who the hell came up w/ these? I've had them break during a canyon. Luckily we had a zip tie in the canyon.

4. Fit. They're so difficult to get on my feet that I've actually needed to clip a biner onto the heel strap so i can pull hard enough.

5. Internal foot slide. After canyons w/ a lot of steep descents or downclimbs my big toe has ended up w/ blood blisters under the toe nail.

6. Water drainage. The metal screens that keep sand and small pebbles out while draining the water from the inside have fallen out on ever pair of 5.10's that I've seen.

7. Stealth Rubber Sole. It is VERY, VERY sticky. However, I've seen the entire sole peeling off of the shoe on several pairs. Super glue is a temporary fix.

...other than that, the 5.10 canyoneers are great!
    I can't wait to try this years Portivas.

Quote Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
    Five Ten Canyoneer 2 appears for sale at Mountain Gear
    BLUE!?!?!

Interesting..... after everything you hear about the new shoe and the first time you know they eliminated the bumble-bee effect is when it goes on sale. I preferred the subdued yellow they were hyping over the baby blue.

I'm curious if they are actually for sale. Mountain Gear is kinda famous for offering items that are not yet available (mostly because there catalog has a long lead time)). Last year you could actually order a copy of the mysterious and long await ACA canyoneering manual, which was never delivered.

If someone oders a pair let us know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by snatch
    I can't wait to try this years Portivas.
    what are Portivas? can you show us an image?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    what are Portivas? can you show us an image?
    I'm guessing he is talking Sportiva's..... just a guess

La Sportiva - Exum River
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960

thanks ice .... makes sense, just never thought to abbreviate it like that.

Something seems hoaky here. Did they totally bag the new design all together? Based on the photo on page one of this thread, it appears so, IF the Mountain Gear thing is real. I for one still like my 5-10's and hope the corporate boys get it together soon. I kind of wish they would put me in charge. Heads would roll. They must be losing a ton of money on this shoe as well as others. I see fewer and fewer 5-10 products on the shelf here locally.
    Life is Good

Just a quick update on the Five-Ten Canyoneer 2. Latest word is they will be released late Spring of 2007.

The Canyoneer 2 is supposed to replace the current Canyoneer and was orginally slated for an early 2006 release. The release date keeps sliding so we can only hope the Spring 2007 date actually happens.

I believe one big problem is if Five-Ten misses a production run they have to reschedule. The Canyoneers are only produced during small production runs.