Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Nerd Convert

Computer Nerd Convert

Greetings all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Really love the website and the wealth of info provided. I just moved to utah (St. George) from San Diego recently (April 05). Moved out here mainly for the wife to be closer to her mom, and the fact that we could actually afford a house out here for half the amount we were paying on just rent back in SD, hehe. So financially and domestically Utah makes a lot more sense.

This might sound weird, but I've never been into outdoor activities. Living in San Diego, we have these beautiful beaches. but unlike everyone else, I never would enjoy them. I would always be concerned about getting mugged by a crack addict, stepping on a syringe in the sand, worrying about my car getting broken into, etc. Crap like that was always happening around me.

So anyways, I moved out here and a strange thing happened. I would take the dogs out for a walk after work and not have to bring pepper spray. I took the loaded weapon out of the nightstand and packed it away (my next door neighbor was raped in the middle of the night in 03, no way I'm letting that happen to my wife). I basically realized once it was gone how much fear my wife and I were living in. Once we both "relaxed" and started looking around nature snuck in hooked us.

Probably too much background, sorry. So when we got out here we started noticing these beautiful rock formations. I started taking the dogs on walks to the higher places nearby and looking around. That was my intro to hiking. Then we (me and the wifey) went up to Zion, I cannot even use words to even describe the beauty in that place. We initially just drove through, then we started hiking to the easy places Like first mile of Temple of Zinewaba (sp?), Emerald Pools, lower, middle, and finally upper. Then we graduated to Hidden Canyon.

If any of you have been to hidden canyon, you will know that there is a spot where the actual trail ends and you can keep walking up the dry riverbed. We tried it (we called it offroading) and loved it! Then we went past this freestanding arch and the trail started getting rocky. this was our intro to rock climbing (scrambling). A couple hours later we arrive at this amazing waterfall where the water would freeze on it's way down and land in a huge pool of ice cubes! I've never seen anything like it in my life. our next goal was to get to the top of it. We started climbing but realized it was beyond our current skill level once we got to the middle portion. That and we were getting fatigued and scratched being such noobs. After that we tried a couple local places like Red Cliffs and Snow Canyon. In Snow Canyon I saw something something that hooked me even worse.

My wife and I were hiking Snow Canyon one day and we saw a sign that said "lave tubes". We went to check it out and saw the opening to a really cool looking cave. Sadly, this is where my wife chickened out. She wasn't down with getting that dirty. I think she might also be claustrophobic, not sure. But my brother is coming out to visit this weekend and is very exited. I go out and buy us 2 headlamps and 4 flashlights (2 for each), a rope, and that's about it. We both agree that if it even looks mildly dangerous we'll just find something else to do. We enter our first cave.

The opening to the lava tubes in Snow Canyon are really cool. Sadly they just don't go in that far. the first opening we went into was huge, but it ended about 50 feet down. There was a small crevice that it appeared people were crawling into, but not having helmets or any previous experience we both agreed to pass on anything remotely dangerous. Our $10 LED lights weren't really doing a good job of illumination also. So we started back out. On our way out just before crawling up the 10 foot overhang/exit, we discovered another tunnel leading to the south we had previously missed. we gave that a go and were pleasantly surprised as it led to several lower chambers. Once we got out of the sunlight areas and total blackness, our $10 LED headlamps also started working perfect! We ended up spending an hour or so exploring the lava tubes, saw some bats and had a total blast.

Later that night we were re-living our adventures over dinner at my mother in laws house, and she mentions an article she read in St. George magazine about the "Bloomington Caves". She finds the article, and low and behold it has directions on how to get there. We plan a trip for the next day. The next morning, we wake up early and start heading out. Not being a nature dude, my car is a Honda Civic hatchback. The article says it's a dirt road but this ends up being the dirt road from hell. It is washed out in so many places I get stuck several times. We end up putting rocks in several ditches but arrive there in an hour instead of planned 10 mins being only 4 miles. But we're there at least and ready to rock! We park the car and begin looking for the entrance of the cave.

Now keep in mind this is our 2nd cave experience. We read that this is Utah's 4th largest cave and we are looking for an entrance similar to the lava tubes. The directions in the magazine are perfect but neglected to mention the entrance is a hole 2 feet wide by one foot high. And on top of that it's at a right angle, so unless you put your head in there you would never even know it was a hole in the first place. The only reason we even found it was I looked at a rock and said to my bro "Look - some jackass spread drywall mud all over that rock, why do people like to make messes everywhere?" He said "maybe he thinks he's a drywall mud artist, haha" Then as I looked at the base of the rock I noticed it was very worn down. So my bro gets of his hands and knees, takes look inside, and then disappears in to the mountain. We must have walked by that spot like 10-15 times and felt like total fools for not checking it out, but then it make the "discovery" so much cooler. We didn't feel bad for long though.

The Bloomington cave is simply amazing! It goes on and on. We were initially very concerned we might get lost, but someone had gone in there before us and marked the ceiling with these bright green tags and named nearly every single room. They had also assigned room numbers in descending orde,r so to go back you simply had to find room #1 again, making it very easy to navigate. Several other people had already gone in and spray painted arrows on the main trails, making it even easier to find our way. Despite a recent cleanup, there was also an extreme amount of graffiti in the cave, so getting lost is nearly impossible. We climbed down until we got tired, ate lunch, then left the way we came in. We would like to have spent more time in there, but I told my wife I would be back by a certain time, and if we weren't then "something was wrong". We had lost 2 hours trying to find the place also. But there would always be more trips now that we had located it.

I've since gone back 3 times. Once more with my bro when he came out for Christmas which was awesome. And another time with a friend that turned out cool too. But I made the mistake of inviting some co-workers once that didn't turn out so well. One member of our group brought what must have been like 30 lbs of water. And he got tired about 45 mins into it and we had to turn back. Then after we got out, no one wanted to go back in, lol. Oh well.

So that's me in a nutshell. My name is Jacob but I tend to go by Deathcricket. It's my nickname from when I used to play this video game called starcraft back in the 90's and it kind of stuck with me. I got a handheld GPS for Christmas (garmen Legend) and am very interested in trying out Geocaching but have not yet. Want to do some serious rock climbing with ropes and all that, but have not tried also. My next purchase will probably be some of the slick little special shoes i see all the rock climbers wearing. Then when the weather gets warmer I'll head out to the local hotspots and ask if i can tag along to learn and see if it's right for me. I also purchased a mountain bike and have been riding it to work to build up my stamina, well not this last month, it's been pretty darn cold in the mornings.

Very glad to be in Utah, where everyone is nice. Hope to meet some of you on the trails or whatever. One last bit of personal info. My wife and I have been trying to have a child for 5 years now. We found out recently that she is 9 weeks, woohoo! Might have to curb the extremer stuff for a bit, but that's ok. those rocks will be there when we're ready.

Late

Jacob
    -Deathcricket-

P.S Here's a pic of me and the wifey at Weeping rock. If you see us on the trails, say HI!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey deathcricket! That's a great intro! Welcome to the forum, bud. A few of us will be in St George next month hitting some sweet bike trails.

Those lava caves are pretty cool. In fact, here's accadacca's Trip Report on them:
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

and

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142

Well, it really sounds like you're getting excited about what Utah has to offer. I think you've come to the right place. We'll all have plenty to talk about.

Welcome again!

Welcome to Utah and welcome to the site. I love it when people move to Utah and complain that there isn't enough to do here? You've luckily started noticing right off the bat just how much there really is to do here! Good luck with starting your rock climbing hobby, it's a lot of fun. You will probably also want to consider canyoneering, Zion is one of the best spots in the world for "dry" canyoneering, and the perfect place to learn the sport. You thought Hidden Canyon was great (and it is) wait till you rappel into the cathedral in Pine Creek canyon... talk about amazing! I have a website with photos and videos of some of my trips. Browse the trip reports in the Canyoneering section too. Just a suggestion, it really is a LOT of fun. Here's my site:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/

(Canyons on there that are in Zion include: Kolob, Englestead, Heaps (crappy pictures), Imlay, Pine Creek, Echo, Keyhole, Das Boot, and Subway)

Also check out Iceaxe's site if you haven't already:

http://climb-utah.com/

Another good site for canyoneering and hiking maintained by Tom Jones, who pops his head in here every now and then is here:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/

How was my sales pitch? Convincing? Feel free to ask for trip suggestions and/or partners for climbing, canyoneering, caving, hiking, or whatever, I'm sure we all get down that way at least a few times a year.

Eric.

Hey Jacob,

You have moved to a great part of the state for outdoor activities. Several of us do a lot of mountain biking down that way and canyoneering, etc, etc, etc.. I love your username "Deathcricket" great! See you around.

DickHead
    Welcome to Utah.
    There are so many hobbies here available that it can cause pure overload. I'm pretty set with cycling and fishing. I also have a small gun collection and shoot when I can, but the expense makes it a back-burner hobby.
    Don't get complacent. Its a helluva lot safer than Kalifornistan, but there still is crime, rape, murder and theft. Its just not as prevalent here. I'm 100% sure that part of the reason is the liberal issuance of Concealed Carry Permits.

Welcome to the forum

Nice intro.....

Ahhhh,, Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Being a complete newb, I'll probably not have much info to contribute until I get some expo under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Hey deathcricket! That's a great intro! Welcome to the forum, bud. A few of us will be in St George next month hitting some sweet bike trails.

Those lava caves are pretty cool. In fact, here's accadacca's Trip Report on them:
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

and

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142

Well, it really sounds like you're getting excited about what Utah has to offer. I think you've come to the right place. We'll all have plenty to talk about.

Welcome again!
    Cool TR! How did I miss that one? I find it funny that he mentions he walked through 3 miles of sand to 3 ponds, then hiked another mile up the canyon, then walked back had lunch, then went into the caves. I did that exact same walk he's talking about, but yeah, it took me pretty much all day and walking through that sand literally killed me! Then did I go to the caves? Hell no, I went home and soaked my aching feet! I'm getting better, but will take nice hard rocks anyday. :P

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Welcome to Utah and welcome to the site. I love it when people move to Utah and complain that there isn't enough to do here? You've luckily started noticing right off the bat just how much there really is to do here! Good luck with starting your rock climbing hobby, it's a lot of fun. You will probably also want to consider canyoneering, Zion is one of the best spots in the world for "dry" canyoneering, and the perfect place to learn the sport. You thought Hidden Canyon was great (and it is) wait till you rappel into the cathedral in Pine Creek canyon... talk about amazing! I have a website with photos and videos of some of my trips. Browse the trip reports in the Canyoneering section too. Just a suggestion, it really is a LOT of fun. Here's my site:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/

(Canyons on there that are in Zion include: Kolob, Englestead, Heaps (crappy pictures), Imlay, Pine Creek, Echo, Keyhole, Das Boot, and Subway)

Also check out Iceaxe's site if you haven't already:

http://climb-utah.com/

Another good site for canyoneering and hiking maintained by Tom Jones, who pops his head in here every now and then is here:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/

How was my sales pitch? Convincing? Feel free to ask for trip suggestions and/or partners for climbing, canyoneering, caving, hiking, or whatever, I'm sure we all get down that way at least a few times a year.

Eric.
    Oh very nice links and great advertising. Going to take me a bit to absorb all the info contained but thanks for the nice read. I really agree that I will like canyoneering, I've also scouted out the kolab area and have seen this Subway trail you speak of. Definately going to have to put that on this insanely long list already. :)

I'm probably going to hold off for a bit on asking for partners though. I'm no where near the experience level I wish to be and would not want to hold any of you "experienced" people back. By the end of this year I should be there though i'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Hey Jacob,

You have moved to a great part of the state for outdoor activities. Several of us do a lot of mountain biking down that way and canyoneering, etc, etc, etc.. I love your username "Deathcricket" great! See you around.
    Thanks! Loved your TR on the Lava caves (see above) and will try and put together one myself next time I head out to the Bloomingotn Cave to share with this fine community.

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    Welcome to Utah.
    There are so many hobbies here available that it can cause pure overload. I'm pretty set with cycling and fishing. I also have a small gun collection and shoot when I can, but the expense makes it a back-burner hobby.
    Don't get complacent. Its a helluva lot safer than Kalifornistan, but there still is crime, rape, murder and theft. Its just not as prevalent here. I'm 100% sure that part of the reason is the liberal issuance of Concealed Carry Permits.
    Agreed. There are bad sections in every city I'm sure. And I'm not sure I'll ever completely let my guard down having grown up in a big city. But being here in Utah just feels so damn comfortable. Can't say it any better than that.

Now I have to learn how to fish? Ohhh will the new hobbies ever end?

Nice to meet you too Iceaxe!

Oh also just noticed the pics didn't upload for some reason in my first post. Will try again.

This is me and the wifey at weeping rock in Zion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket

And here is me at Emeral Pools. Hopefully this time it works.

[/url]
    haha, here's a picture of Ben (rock_ski_cowboy) at Emerald Pools (this is what you have to look forward to if you really get crazy, about 450 feet above the pools!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh lol. I remember looking up at that very crack and thinking how cool it would be to repell down into the water. Nice pic!

Hey deathcricket -

Welcome! Nice to have someone else from the Southwestern part of the state on the board.

I'm in Zion everyday so if you need hiking suggestions or just a weather in the canyon update let me know. Lots of hikers / bikers / skiers etc. in the area of all skill levels so don't worry about slowing people down just post what you are interested in doing and have fun with new friends.

Great name - now you need a way cool avatar!

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    now you need a way cool avatar!
    Yeah.... I got one of a guy in a red helmet you can have.... I'm not really using it now..... Its LJ's favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    now you need a way cool avatar!
    Yeah.... I got one of a guy in a red helmet you can have.... I'm not really using it now..... Its LJ's favorite
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!!

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    I'm probably going to hold off for a bit on asking for partners though. I'm no where near the experience level I wish to be and would not want to hold any of you "experienced" people back. By the end of this year I should be there though i'm thinking.
    We love running newbies into the ground! Come on, we're almost to the end, it's just around the next corner I swear

Eric.

DeathCricket,

Nice story, my father in law lives in Bloomington so we take the our two boys down there every other month. I'm trying to get my wife to move down there so we can have a closer jump off to the plateau. I like SLC alot and she is protesting about the heat (its a dry heat) but I'd really, really like to get down there sometime soon. Too much fun at your doorstep right there..

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate
    DeathCricket,
    she is protesting about the heat (its a dry heat)
    Cedar City has normals close to SLC because of the elevation it's at, Summers don't have many days in the 100's and in Winter it can snow like a mo-fo. A bonus in winter is St. George and its 50-60 degree temps are only 45 min away . I'll probably end up in Cedar City one of these days.

Eric.

Hey deathcricket -

Welcome! Nice to have someone else from the Southwestern part of the state on the board.

I'm in Zion everyday so if you need hiking suggestions or just a weather in the canyon update let me know. Lots of hikers / bikers / skiers etc. in the area of all skill levels so don't worry about slowing people down just post what you are interested in doing and have fun with new friends.

Great name - now you need a way cool avatar!

LJ
    Oh hey LJ, nice to meet you too. That would be great to have someone in the area for tips and info, sounds good. I am curious if ya have a sec. I was under the impression that Zion got a bit colder, or is it still too early in the season? It would be totally cool to see some snow up there but no luck as of 2 weekends ago. I've seen postcards that seem to indicate the area does get snowfall, but am at a loss as to what time of year it occurs.

Hmm gotta pic an Avatar eh? And you say pic something with a red hat? I'll do my best (just kidding) hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Hehe, red hats are super sexy but that's one inside joke I'll pass on for now. :P

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    We love running newbies into the ground! Come on, we're almost to the end, it's just around the next corner I swear

Eric.
    No pain no gain! Alright, alright, if anyone is nearby and has room in their group, AND doesn't mind showing some newb the ropes, count me in. Hiking, Caving, climbing, canyoneering, whatever. I'm pretty much liking every outdoor sport Utah has to offer so far. I'm also a quick learner!

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate
    DeathCricket,

Nice story, my father in law lives in Bloomington so we take the our two boys down there every other month. I'm trying to get my wife to move down there so we can have a closer jump off to the plateau. I like SLC alot and she is protesting about the heat (its a dry heat) but I'd really, really like to get down there sometime soon. Too much fun at your doorstep right there..
    Nice! yeah i was a little shocked how hot it got this summer. And people tell me that it was a "mild" one, haha. Couple days there I just sat in the pool all day. But it was only 2 months and then the weather turned back to beautiful. Now it's a bit on the chilly side, but so nice to have a change of seasons to be honest.

Shaggy125 has a good point though, if you're worried about the heat, Cedar city would be a nice alt choice and still really close to your plateau jump. Only thing that would bug me is the snow stays a bit long for my tastes. I drove up there in late April a couple of times to check the place out and they still had snow. Also the housing pricing in St. George started rising pretty steep since i got here. Good for me but not maybe for someone moving in.

Late

-Deathcricket-
    Jacob

Hey DC -

We had snow up there yesterday. It was beautiful! We do get snow periodically in the main canyon but it seems to melt in a day or so. I've been able to cross country ski like only twice in the time that I have been here. Up in the Kolob area there is snow for most of the winter (was hiking up there this weekend and had to navigate a bit of it) and the east side will get some that stays around also. I'm on vacation this week but I'll pop you a note the next time we have some up there. It's funny how it can be so much warmer in St. George with sunn skies while it is snowing up in the park.

LJ

And pray to whatever your deity is that you never have to see the red helmet guy. Oh the horror - It burns!!

Red helmet guy welcomes you.....