Thread: spinning

spinning

My wife got us memberships at Gold's Gym for Christmas. I guess she wants us to work out together. Tonight I am taking my first spinning class. Has anyone taken one before? What should I expect?
    scars are tattoos with better stories

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DickHead

Re: spinning

Quote Originally Posted by david staub
    My wife got us memberships at Gold's Gym for Christmas. I guess she wants us to work out together. Tonight I am taking my first spinning class. Has anyone taken one before? What should I expect?
    Expect some slightly overweight housewife in ponytails to make you look like a freakin' 400lb couch potatoe! Suffer be thy name!

ouch!

I've never been but a lady friend of mine says that they keep you above a certain heart rate level depending on the stage of the workout and your maximum heart rate, essentially make you wish you were dead until your lactate threshold is significantly raised and your muscles adapt to this type of workout. So if you can make it through the first couple weeks you might start seeing the benefits of a higher lactate threshold, more endurance on real climbs, a better V02 Max, and you just might want to keep doing it.
    Mike

my plan is to only take one class a week. I want to get in better shape so that my ride from my home in Orem to my office at the point of the mountain will be a little easier on Fridays. We have casual Fridays (please don't show me Latesha again) so I can get away with riding here.

so I guess what you are telling me is that tomorrow I will feel like I have polio.

I've been looking for a spinning class as well. I know it would push me harder than I can push myself at home on my trainer.

Sombeech: The Gold's on 12th is where my friend goes.
    David: Let us know how it goes.

I thought about riding my trainer last Friday, but wow, I couldn't bear the thought of that though, so I just bundled up and did some street riding out in Plain City, and it was totally worth it.
    Mike

that is the preference.

this whole Gold's Gym thing is really not my preference. I really prefer running my dog (and they don't allow dogs on the treadmills - I already asked).

I guess I will just do the gym thing during the week and maybe be in better shape for the outside things I want to do on the weekend.

I will let you know how it went if I can crawl out of bed tomorrow.

David,
    Visualise if you will while spinning your heart out an intersection. This intersection is about a quarter mile away and you hear that familiar sound (Familiar in Chicago). The horn of an on coming train long enough to put you behind schedule by twenty minutes but slow enough for you to make it with time to spare. What do you do? YOU PUMP YOU SUCKER!! PUMP! PUMP!!
    You can see the train as you get closer. You can see your cut-off point and it still looks possible. Motorists are honking their horns and cheering you on. GO DAVID GO!! You make the left turn heading straight for the tracks now less then fifty yards away. You can feel the vibrations of the Iron Beast getting closer but you still pump harder. You know this route and are comfortable in this pressure situation. You pump and pump and as you feel the rumble of the tracks under your wheels and you have just ....BEAT THE TRAIN
    When the goin' get tough, put your shoulder to the wheel or just Beat the train
    www.Beatthetrain.com

www.myspace.com/Beatthetrain

JamisJockey was so right. When I walked into the class last night, there were three middle aged housewives there, two in pigtails.

The class was 45 minutes long and divided up into three sections. My goal was just to make it through the class. There was a lot of stand up pumping, form control, cornering, visualizing, and just plain killing.

I did make it through the class, but did not do everything the instructor had us do. I kept pedaling, but did not always stand and increase tension when she told us to. My goal next week is to do everything that she tells us in the first section and cruise the other two sections if I need to. Then increase a section a week until I can keep up with the others.

I do feel like I have polio this morning. What a kick in the head. But I should be able to better tackle the point of the mountain on my bike on Friday. This was one of the hardest workouts I have ever had in my life. I can't wait to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by BTTAndy
    David,
    Visualise if you will while spinning your heart out an intersection. This intersection is about a quarter mile away and you hear that familiar sound (Familiar in Chicago). The horn of an on coming train long enough to put you behind schedule by twenty minutes but slow enough for you to make it with time to spare. What do you do? YOU PUMP YOU SUCKER!! PUMP! PUMP!!
    You can see the train as you get closer. You can see your cut-off point and it still looks possible. Motorists are honking their horns and cheering you on. GO DAVID GO!! You make the left turn heading straight for the tracks now less then fifty yards away. You can feel the vibrations of the Iron Beast getting closer but you still pump harder. You know this route and are comfortable in this pressure situation. You pump and pump and as you feel the rumble of the tracks under your wheels and you have just ....BEAT THE TRAIN
    Do you have a model train set at home se
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

I have been doing this spinning class every Tuesday night this year. It really is starting to be fun.

Last Tuesday, after the first section, we took our pulse. I hit 180 and mentioned it to the instructor. she told me not to worry. That is only high for people over 40. I told her the I was actually over 50. The class started to applaud that an old man was actually doing it. It was kind of cool.

I slowed down in the second section and my pulse only hit 120. I pushed myself in the third section and my pulse only hit 140. So things are looking better. My goal by the end of this month is to do everything that the teacher says and not take it easy at all. I know that I will never be a Lance Armstrong, but maybe I can get to the point where I actually enjoy this a lot more and not hurt so much the next day.

There is a goog spin class at the Layton Golds, not filled with housewives but a younger crowd!! Thursday night at 6:30 if anyone is interested!!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    There is a goog spin class at the Layton Golds, not filled with housewives but a younger crowd!! Thursday night at 6:30 if anyone is interested!!!
    Can you pay for the class only, or do you have to join with the gym membership?

I can get you in free if you want to go to the class, let me know and you won't have to worry about paying for it. But generally you do have to have a membership of pay per visit.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    I can get you in free if you want to go to the class, let me know and you won't have to worry about paying for it. But generally you do have to have a membership of pay per visit.
    Really? I am interested. I used to say I need to lose 40 lbs. But now it's creeping closer to 50! My butt says no, but my bike and pride say yes.

I should really take you up on that.

Go for it. I have dropped 12 pounds so far this year and improved my heart rate dramatically. Don't be discouraged the first class. I thought I was going to die. It does get better.

let me know send me a pm and I will give you my info to call me or meet at gold gym in layton at 6:15 and you can come to the class, it kicks ass