Thread: Kayaking-northslope Uintas

Kayaking-northslope Uintas

There are some great spots up there, but access is limited. Most folks go in on the Sheep Creek Geological Loop, headed for Spirit Lake, forestry road 221. The following spots are all on side roads off 221.

Browne Lake looks great, I didn't launch, there is a campground at this lake, if you're into that. The fishing here is supposed to be great, it is managed solely as a fishery, along with-

Sheep Creek Lake- Lovely spot, there is dispersed camping near the launch, easy access. I launched once, it is worth a look, and I'm sure the fishing is great for anyone who has any idea of what they're doing, which leaves me out.

Long Park reservoir- man made, and managed for irrigation, the level here fluctuates greatly, but in spite of that I think it's a beautiful lake, and there is a spot you can park and camp right at the waters edge, but having that spot to yourself may be tough. Pit toilets and full launch ramp.

Without leading you by the hand to my secret spot, I will say that if you want to camp from your yak or canoe, Long Park is nice. Head for the far shore...

Spirit Lake- just gorgeous, no launch ramp that I saw, and no power boats. This is the crown jewel of the north slope, as far as what can be accessed by vehicle. Popular with paddlers, I still had it to myself in the mornings.

A perfect little lake, ringed by peaks, and crowded with lush forest, Spirit Lake is breathtaking.

There is a lodge at Spirit, and a large forestry campground. I wished I had a big hammock, so I could've camped directly at the lakes edge.

As you head in on 221 there is camping all over the place, on the road and off, with many side roads, a little imagination will keep you out of the fee campgrounds.

The last easy to reach lake off 221 is Beaver Meadow reservoir, I didn't launch, this spot is less attractive, bare slopes and the earthen dam dominates the whole lake.

This is the end of the road for most folks, but if your ready for some brutal 4x4 road, you can continue on to Hoop Lake, which is very nice, with both a campground and dispersed camping at lakeside. Somewhat crowded, it lots to be very popular with local, Wyoming fishermen.

I didn't launch at Hoop, but I will go back off-season, mid-week, and try again, it looks worth it.

About that 4x4 road: It's a road, not a Jeep trail, I was fine in a long bed 4x4 truck, but it is pretty rough, with a couple of creek crossings. Maybe the right 2x4 could get through, I don't know. Exposed rock, sharp rock, loose scree, some steeper grades.

I averaged something like 1 1/2mph over the 4-5 miles from Beaver to Hoop, both times I traveled that road.

Hoop is easier from the Wyoming side, and if you came through from Beaver you will want to leave by the easier Wyoming route, unless you REALLY liked that road from Beaver.

Hidden gem: About halfway from Beaver to Hoop is a creek crossing at Burnt Fork Creek, stop and explore, up river or down. It doesn't look like much at first...

This is the coolest little section of creek ever, it splits a zillion times, flowing at all different levels, there are dams, snags, tunnels, pools, little falls. whirlpools, quicksand, sunny sandy beaches, springs, and it goes on and on, or at least it seems to.

A great spot to splash about, explore and play, without actually covering any distance. I bet I spent an hour going upstream 100 yards.

Not a hike or anything, more like what our Aussie pals would call a 'walkabout'.

I am not giving much fishing info because this is the kayak section, and maybe such info should be in the fishing section, I never want to break a rule.

Either that, or there is not much to tell, because I suck out loud at fishing, and couldn't catch fish at a hatchery if I used dynamite.

We all know it's that second thingy.

I am a beginner fishing type dude, and there is no point in me singing you a long, sad song about snags, wounds, near misses, got aways, running OUT of tackle from losing so much, and something not fish for dinner.

I didn't have great luck fishing the north slope, but I had some great times, can't wait to go back.

GO KAYAK! You can't say I didn't tell ya'.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

After more trips to this area, I'm starting to think no one really goes up to the northeast slope of the Uintas, mostly Wyoming and Vernal locals.

Anyways, I wrote the above with no pics, so here's a couple...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I'd love to spend a week paddeling between lakes and camping on the shores. I never thought that there were areas where the rivers were big enough to navigate with a canoe or kayak in the uintas.Thanks for the great post.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

Quote Originally Posted by vamedtech
    I'd love to spend a week paddeling between lakes and camping on the shores. I never thought that there were areas where the rivers were big enough to navigate with a canoe or kayak in the uintas.Thanks for the great post.
    Sorry if I gave the impression the lakes are linked by rivers, that's not the case, you will have to drive from one lake to another, don't let that stop you, it's great up there, totally worth your time. If driving 2wd, come in from the Sheep Creek side.

Thanks for responding to this thread, I wondered if anyone saw it here in flatwater, did you notice the dates?

I will take a zillion pics this summer, promise, and add them to this thread.

After more trips to this area, I'm starting to think no one really goes up to the northeast slope of the Uintas, mostly Wyoming and Vernal locals.
    Not to get too far off topic, I do fairly often, but for the hiking and caving. Even recognise where you took those photos, exept the second one.

Anyway, here are some webpages I created on the area:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/r...eidy-Peak.html

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/r...ake-Peak-.html

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/r...peta-peak.html

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range...rn-uintas.html

Yes, not too many people go up there to the NE Uintas except to fish, and most of them are locals (except for Flaming Gorge and Spirit Lake).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.