Thread: Back East

Back East

Howdy folks,

I've been lurking a bit, but after a prods from a couple of folks, I decided it's time to introduce myself. So...

I'm Reid. 50 years old from proper (so I'm the black sheep) Scots/English and Lebanese families. Fancy explaining that in the South! Married 28 years - Mary and I have two great daughters. Jessica, who's 20 and a sophomore at Appalachian State University majoring in forensics, and Kathryn, 17 and a junior in high school here in Chapel Hill, NC.

I've was a Psychiatric Nurse / Nurse Practitioner for 21 years before I got the chance of a lifetime to switch to Nursing Informatics, even though I didn't have the educational background or experience. Now I'm a Clinical Systems Analyst in Information Services at UNC (GO HEELS!) Hospitals and spend my work life building clinical systems (currently Order Entry for our Children's Hospital) for doctors and nurses to use.

So, why am I on uutah.com? Because I've been in an intensifying love affair with the Colorado Plateau since my first visit in the mid 80's. A life-long outdoor enthusiast - my mom was one of those uncommon 50's-60'a moms who took the whole family camping for a month every summer. Water skiing by the age of 4 (in my tennis shoes plus my older brother's tennis shoes so the ski's wouldn't fall off). Cross country hiking by the age of 8. Hiking solo anywhere I could (which means NC, VA, FLA - where there was family - until well into adulthood) since 13. Since then Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Arizona - and still NC & VA. Never got into climbing, though I've topped a number of passes at 11-12,000 feet. Was totally enthralled with high altitude hiking until I discovered canyons.

On the plateau I've hiked, 4-wheeled (gently), and done a bit of white-water. For years I've been disappointed with canyon rims as a barrier - until this summer. Got my first taste of technical canyoneering on two guided trips in June. Then in October, while doing volunteer work with Best Friends in Kanab, I did Canyoneering one day basic with Zion Adventure. Water Canyon was a blast! Gotta say that the puzzle (I don't care for problems) nature of Canyons is what I find attractive, in addition to the awesome beauty of them. So now, I'm looking for every opportunity to get back out there as often and for as long as possible.

While canyons have become a strong, if infrequently satisfied addiction, one of the high points of my life was my birthday present from my wife this year. Well, not exactly a present, more like a gift certificate. I'm eligible for full retirement from the hospitals in a little under four years. And when that happens, she's given me a year on the plateau to crawl into every hole that looks interesting! Don't y'all think I'm counting the days?

Oh well, more than enough about me. Howdy to the folks I've met - more on line, a few in person on my last trip out. I may not get there physically often as I'd like, but I'll be spending time getting to know folks here hoping I'll have a crew of folks to meet and play with when I'm next out that way. Next on my itinerary is canyoneering 3-day with either ACA or Zion Adventure, so I can claim to have at least a reasonable skill-set for a noob.

Happy Trails,
    Reid
    May all your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous -
    leading to the most amazing view...
    where something strange, more beautiful and more full of wonder
    than your deepest dreams awaits.
    Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you'll have some good stories to tell.

Welcome

Have to say I like the term "puzzle" better then "problems" for canyoneering obstacles. Heck.... I like it so much I'll probably steal it from you

Welcome to uutah.com Reid. Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

Howdy guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to being here. I may be quiet for long periods, mostly 'cause it's difficult to have something worth saying from back East on lots of common topics.

Happy Trails,
    Reid
    May all your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous -
    leading to the most amazing view...
    where something strange, more beautiful and more full of wonder
    than your deepest dreams awaits.
    Edward Abbey

Re: Back East

Quote Originally Posted by Red Deer
    a year on the plateau to crawl into every hole that looks interesting!
    Now THAT is a plan.