Thread: Where Was This Photo Taken?

Where Was This Photo Taken?

And which arch is it? It's not Rainbow Arch is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's Corona Arch also known as 'Little Rainbow Bridge".

Nothing little about it.... its a great Moab hike, would be a primo girlfriend hike.

here is more info and a route description.
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/corona.htm

Hey Ice -

What makes it a primo girlfriend hike? And what would make a good boyfriend hike?

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    Hey Ice -

What makes it a primo girlfriend hike? And what would make a good boyfriend hike?

LJ
    i hate to say it here, with the great gals that are in the forum that do get out. (Love TreeHuggers pics of Sundance recently) But the fact is I've rarely been able to get a girlfriend/wife to hike more than 4mi. round trip or more than 1000' vertical gain.

It's not lack of ability most of the time as much as lack of interest. The lack of experience probably contributes too as they aren't as comfortable in the woods, all the lttle tricks of drinking appropriately, snacking as you hike, good boots with good socks, etc. that we've all learned over the years. I've tried to educate a few but there seemed to be an attitude of "I can't believe I'm listening to a guy on the subject of what to wear."

Trust me, the reason you gals on the forum can keep us guys in line is respect because most of the gals we know wouldn't be caught dead where there was no cell service.

So many of the short, close to the road, low effort hikes get the tag. No offense intended, you just don't know how cool you are.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by dbessee
    Trust me, the reason you gals on the forum can keep us guys in line is respect because most of the gals we know wouldn't be caught dead where there was no cell service.
    What he said....

Quote Originally Posted by dbessee
    So many of the short, close to the road, low effort hikes get the tag. No offense intended, you just don't know how cool you are.
    Yeah.... hiker/climber chicks rock

And just for the record.... these gentlemen would refer to Corona Arch as a boyfriend hike

matching outfits.... how gay is that?

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread, but how can these guys make us believe they are tough? See the hard look on their faces? It doesn't go well with the "pullover" shirts, or the "pulldown" speedos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread, but how can these guys make us believe they are tough? See the hard look on their faces? It doesn't go well with the "pullover" shirts, or the "pulldown" speedos.
    hi my kids are back
    they are delightful
    hei introduce them to me to me and i will write a TR if they are gays o not!!!
    they look so strongs not all beer belly like somebody else....
    about the guy that say about girls distance and vertical challange
    most of my girlfriends in their 50-60s can kick guy's butt doing backpacking mountaineering or backcountry ski
    i just think you are attracted by the girls that do not do that and spent more time to hairdresses makeup and similar things
    when i am going in a canyon i always listen a guy that say to bring wetsuit or what to wear ,when i go to parties i know what to wear but when i am in risk situation i always listen to whom is more experienced also if is a guy...

in utah girls are pretty active unless they are busy watching children meanwhile HUSBANDS ARE OUT HAVING FUN

join an outdoor group and you will quickly find the lady of your dreams....if you can keep up with her....

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    in utah girls are pretty active unless they are busy watching children meanwhile HUSBANDS ARE OUT HAVING FUN
    So, this isn't universal?

about the guy that say about girls distance and vertical challange
    most of my girlfriends in their 50-60s can kick guy's butt doing backpacking mountaineering or backcountry ski
    i just think you are attracted by the girls that do not do that and spent more time to hairdresses makeup and similar things
    when i am going in a canyon i always listen a guy that say to bring wetsuit or what to wear ,when i go to parties i know what to wear but when i am in risk situation i always listen to whom is more experienced also if is a guy...

join an outdoor group and you will quickly find the lady of your dreams....if you can keep up with her....

I didn't say they were vertically challenged or that they couldn't kick my but if they'd bothered to acquire even basic trail smarts. Many girls I know can kick my butt on a distance hike. Probably a combination of the fact that a woman has much more of her muscle mass in the lesg in proportion to her weight/height than a man does and the fact that my pack typically weight 2-3x what her's does... Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places but most of the girls I know who enjoy the outdoors are alreadey taken

Please don't assign that particular prejudice to me. I've had too much life experience to believe girls can't kick butt in the wilderness when they want to.

I'm joining CMC (CO Mountain Club) this month so maybe I'll have better luck there...

Keep safe and keep havin' fun out there...
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

I can't wait to go canyoneering with hesse.... because I going to tell her to wear a thong....

Welcome back hesse.... hope you had a fun trip.... we missed you around here

OK - I have to admit I knew what Ice was getting at. I've hiked a few hundred miles and have topped all sorts of peaks this summer while hiking with probably 15 different people and not one of them was another female. Some of their wives would have been able to do the hikes but yes they stayed home to watch the kids (mental note - don't have kids with an outdoorsy guy) while the husbands were out having fun.

I do think Hesse may be onto sometime though most of the outdoors guys I know have "can't we just stay home and paint our toenails" type girls. I have to say "well that would work but I'm missing like four toe nails right now".

Which does bring up a question I've been wondering about - missing toe nails on girls - big turnoff? Should I like have them all taken off and tatooed or something? I'm always in the process of lossing or growing back nails and I can be a bit self conscious about it but maybe outdoorsy guys don't care..........?

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    most of the outdoors guys I know have "can't we just stay home and paint our toenails" type girls.
    I think that is because "paint your toenail girls" out number outdoorsy girls about 100 to 1.

chiming in on the "granola woman" theme here...

i just wish there were more of them. my best friend is a granola woman and puts my paltry adventures to shame. of course, she is not raising a kid any more, which REALLY frees you up. but she goes constantly in many different ways. not always quietly or un-whinily, but she goes. that tom-girl attitude is a sexy one, whether they are outdoorsy or not, and does not preclude a more stereotypical womanly nature. missing toe nails, scratches, bruises, from hikes or climbs or skiing or rafting or whatever are just another type of turn on if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    that tom-girl attitude is a sexy one

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    missing toe nails, scratches, bruises, from hikes or climbs or skiing or rafting or whatever are just another type of turn on if you ask me.
    Funny story here.....

A friend of mine is married to a wonderful outdoorsy woman. She is on every trip and often has the sharp end of the rope..... anyhoo... she goes to work every Monday with a bunch of new scratches, bruises, cuts..... in other words she looks like the rest of us....

Now the good part of the story....

The paint your toes women in the office decide the reason for the scratches, bruises, cuts and missing toe nails is because her husband is beating her.... so they have an intervention.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    >>>I think that is because "paint your toenail girls" out number outdoorsy girls about 100 to 1 <<<

That's because the "paint your toenail" lingerie wearing kind of girls are what most men seem to want.........
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

I have to agree with Savanna. If I try I can clean up quite nicely and the hiker guys seem to swarm around. But when we get out hiking/climbing/skiing they seem to prefer to have just other guys around. I think it's nice when you can find a guy who wants to include a girl they are dating or married to in their outdoor activities but find that they would prefer I stay home and stay pretty while they do their "guy" things. Does that make sense? But on the other hand it is easy to find guys to do things with as friends. So, you guys just confuse me....

Hey goofball - if you get turned on by cuts and bruises - I'm your girl this week. Man I got beat up this weekend - can barely walk and have bruises bigger than my hand. Got to cross country ski, bike, hike, and ride this weekend! Priceless! You have to love Utah!

LJ

>>>So, you guys just confuse me....<<<

Doesn't matter what age you are, some things in life will never change, LJ.

DickHead
    I wish I had found an outdoorsy wife, but when I met my wife that wasn't important to me. I can't force her to change, but I can try and introduce her to activities that are outdoors but not too taxing for her.

Back in my 4x4 days, we were on a trip to Shiloh Ridge, in Texas. Its a large privately owned park. East Texas is known for thick, red clay-mud. The stuff is brutal, sticky, and stains everything it touches. One chap brought his wife along, who was wearing sandals, full makeup (looked like it had been applied with a shovel), jewelery, and her hair was done in full-on southern big-hair-style. Everyone else's wives/girl friends wore jeans or shorts and boots. Not one had applied very much makeup and I bet everyone had thier hair pulled into pony tails. Some women just aren't cut out for the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    I wish I had found an outdoorsy wife, but when I met my wife that wasn't important to me. I can't force her to change, but I can try and introduce her to activities that are outdoors but not too taxing for her.

Back in my 4x4 days, we were on a trip to Shiloh Ridge, in Texas. Its a large privately owned park. East Texas is known for thick, red clay-mud. The stuff is brutal, sticky, and stains everything it touches. One chap brought his wife along, who was wearing sandals, full makeup (looked like it had been applied with a shovel), jewelery, and her hair was done in full-on southern big-hair-style. Everyone else's wives/girl friends wore jeans or shorts and boots. Not one had applied very much makeup and I bet everyone had thier hair pulled into pony tails. Some women just aren't cut out for the outdoors.

I have this mental image of a sorority friend back at LSU. Hell or high water, that girl was "fully applied" at all times. We had a group that went out deep sea fishing in the Gulf of Mexico one weekend and she dressed like your friend's wife did. Damn near drowned when she went over the side of the boat because she kept tottering around in (yes) heels!! I was fortunate enough to have a Dad (who wanted sons, but got all girls) but he still brought us along on adventures. I grew up in the South, but we traveled west each summer, spending the majority of the time in the Zion area. Now, all of my immediate family and I live in Utah and we love it.

A couple of years ago my wife and I did a commercial river trip through Cataract Canyon with Western River Expeditions. At the launch dock everyone is wearing swimming suit, Teva's, hat, sun glasses and lots of sun block. Everyone's gear is in a duffle bag.

Except this one lady who shows up wearing a sun dress, heels, full make up, hair done up and carrying everything is a suit case.