Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rattlesnake Bite

Does this mean that the "strike" is an auto-reaction for the snake or that it's brain is in the back half?
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maybe it was a male snake.... we all know where men keep their brains

so what would you do if you were bit by one

Quote Originally Posted by shphilby
    Pee all over my boots....

Quote Originally Posted by shphilby
    My advice is to forget every bit of 'folk wisdom' you've ever heard about rattler bites, and use the Sawyer extraction kit:

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/sawyer...ctor/index.htm

Supposedly, it actually extracts SOME venom without causing further harm, if you use it within THREE minutes.

So that means when a bite happens, you should immediately dig the Sawyer kit out, and use it. Not spend precious minutes chasing down the snake, trying a cell call, discussing first aid with your pals, or looking for a shady place to rest, but use the kit, NOW.

Once you use the kit, standard snakebite rules apply, stay calm, elevate the limb above the heart, and don't let anyone talk you into using a freaking tourniquet.

If bitten, it is possible that the snake injected little or no venom. (Dry Strike).

Dont cut and suck on the bite site, as this may cause venom to enter your system as well

rinse the bite with plenty of water (do not put ointment on area) put restriction bandage above site (not too tight- you want to restrict blood flow, not stop it) and keep it below the heart level.

The most important thing is keep calm. You dont want the victim's heart rate to go up, and spread any venom faster.

I hate rattlers. I about stepped on two different ones near the Mt. Olympus trailhead last summer. It scared the crap out of me. Check out this link for a pic of one caught near Mt. Olympus. I think these guys were crazy for messing with it, but oh well.

http://www.summitpost.org/image/1490...use-right.html

Something I found in my e-mail today:

Utah Rattlesnake

THEY GROW 'EM BIG IN Tooele County UTAH

This snake was recently found at the old Wendover Military Base in Wendover, Utah Tooele County.

A reminder that these creatures are actually out there and no matter what you believe, sometimes they should get not only prescriptive rights to be there but the full right of way!

9 feet, 1 inch - 97 lbs.

If you have to kill the snake utilize it!!

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE

1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks

1/2 cup flour

1/4 cup cornmeal

1/4 cup cracker crumbs

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)

1 teaspoon salt

dash pepper

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks. Then coat them with dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 400 degree oil until brown.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Holy crap! Thats a big snake.

Mama mia! mama, mama.....

snake!!!

Rattlesnake is pretty damn tasty...not as good as guine pig, but dang near!

that things as big as a thanksgiving day turkey.

f...
    "Always looking for another adventure"

wtf!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    That made me sick this early in the morning!
    Chere'

Wow.... this thread is a blast from the past. It was interesting to read again because snakes scare the snot out of me....

The pic was staged. Yes, it is a rattler, but if you do a search, it's pretty easy to stage a photo like that.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    The pic was staged. Yes, it is a rattler, but if you do a search, it's pretty easy to stage a photo like that.
    Staged or not-still scary as hell. Where I live in northern New Mexico is primo rattler territory. 15 years ago, i walked at dusk off-trail to the rim of a small side-canyon of White Rock Canyon to check out a view where 5 small ravines converge within about 100 yards. Stomped my feet heavily through waist high grass, as I knew this was primo time of day for snakes. Get to rim of canyon, look down at the 5 ravines, then for some reason look down at my feet and spot a coiled rattler less than boot length away from my foot. Fortunately, it was more interested in a chipmunk dinner than in biting me. What was really scary about that day is that it remains easily the most careful I have ever been concerning snakes and I still ended up in this situation. Since then, I have invested in a pair of Snake-Guardz but gotta admit I seldom wear them.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    And I love this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by someone
    My advice is to forget every bit of 'folk wisdom' you've ever heard about rattler bites, and use the Sawyer extraction kit:

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/sawyer...ctor/index.htm

Supposedly, it actually extracts SOME venom without causing further harm, if you use it within THREE minutes.
    ... because, the Sawyer Extractor is a folk-wisdom kinda thing. Ha ha ha.

Tom