Thread: Why haven't I been excercising?

DickHead

Why haven't I been excercising?

I'm about 90% with the framing. Some sofits remain, I need to produce a doorway into the west room (through a load bearing wall), and I need to frame the laundry room (SW corner). I also need to make sure I have all the proper surfaces for drywall attachment.
    So far I've done it all myself. The electrical will be with the help of an electrician at a discounted rate with my sweat labor. The HVAC will be a contractor. I'll be doing the insulation, and will insulate the interior walls as well as the ceiling to help reduce noise throughout the house. Drywall and tape/mud....yea I ain't doin' that shit.

Ready for some pics?

Here's the basic plan. I modified the location of the door to the room on the right, and changed the closet to a small walk in. This produced an odd shaped room, 19'x8'9".....with a 4'10"x6' closet. This makes a really odd shape, but it is a 5th bedroom or bonus room, however you want to look at it. It'll be a spare bedroom for us, and probably a workout room. Its large enough it could be a bunkroom for big parties or visitors with kids. I envision a teenager having thier bed at one end, and thier study area or video equipment at the other.
    I changed the location of the door into the closet on the room to the left due to some sofit clearance issues. Closet interior is 4' wide, 13'10" long. The other room is 18'x13'10". Its going to serve us as an office for the wife's business, and another spare bedroom. The location of the daylight windows, and the ridiculous location of the HVAC and Water heater dictated alot of how the floor was designed.
    Here's some framing shots:

OSB sofiting, and the wall dividing the furnace and closet from the bedroom.

West end of the odd shaped room. The closet entrance and the location for the room entrance will be to the left.

Closet in that room.

East side room.

Huge walk in closet, and another view of the odd shape room.

I'm taking suggestions on ways to provide decent sound-dampening between the rooms, and between floors.
    Fun fun fun.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice work Bob Vila. Looks good so far....well like stud walls. Now you are going to have to give us a progress report as you go.

Looks good! I ain't too far behind you, Jamis. Now that I'm outta school, I'll start cruisin'.

Where's the home theater? Priotities man!

Since I'm in the a/v home theater business I can suggest a few sound isolation ideas. You can definately spend alot of money doing this but if you're like me I don't have any money.

1. You'll want to insulate each wall and ceiling cavity, it sounds like you are already planning on doing this.
    2. Double or even triple up on the sheet rock layers.
    3. Get some vinyl sheeting and staple it to the walls before you put up the sheet rock, do both sides of the walls and the ceiling. If you don't want to or can't afford that much vinyl cut it up into strips and sandwich it between two layers of sheet rock. The thicker the vinyl the better.
    4. Sound isolation clips. These suckers are great but they are pricey. They accomplish the "room in a room" concept. If you go this route you also loose square footage.

Good luck getting your project done.

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    Where's the home theater?
    YOWZA! Really? I want to put a home theater in also, but I dunno about making those extra steps. I might just deal with what I have.

I'm going to network my basement for playing XBOX tournaments, and also run speaker wire everywhere.

Is there a way I can run speaker wire, without committing to a sound system? Like for an optional use at a later time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    Where's the home theater?
    YOWZA! Really? I want to put a home theater in also, but I dunno about making those extra steps. I might just deal with what I have.

I'm going to network my basement for playing XBOX tournaments, and also run speaker wire everywhere.

Is there a way I can run speaker wire, without committing to a sound system? Like for an optional use at a later time?
    You don't have to take any extra steps if you don't want. The stuff I described is for sound isolation, keeping sound in a room, and keeping sound out of a room. Acousitcs is a completely different thing. Treating a room for acoustics can be quite simple, taking 4x8 sheets of rigid fiberglass and wrapping it in your favorite fabric will do wonders, placement is a little tricky but something anyone could do.

The networking idea will be sweet, all you need is CAT5.

Wiring up your place is a great idea. It's fairly in-expensive so if you never put any speaks in it's no big deal. The key to wiring up for the future is to mark where you buried the wire in the wall/ceiling. I recommend 14-4 or 16-4 run to a keypad location (even if you never put a keypad in) then extend that 4 conductor wire to the first speaker, then jumper a 14-2/16-2 to the second speaker.

DickHead
    Where's your home theatre
    I'm just not into home electronics. Also,
    We don't anticpate being in this house more then another year.
    A) we needed the space
    B) We wanted to build equity and sell-ability
    C) Budget, budget, budget.

I'm just going to insulate between the 'office' and the other room(s) and the ceiling. That should help reduce sound transfer through the house. Good for while we're in it, and should be a good selling point. I also might run wires for a home theatre in the 'office', and put caps in the drywall for future access.

DickHead
    Got the doorway into the 5th bedroom done tonight. Spent over an hour this morning just trying to build a false wall...then it was 1/2 inch too long then it was 1" too short....

Double jack studs just to be sure, same width as all the other doors in the basement.
    HVAC and Drywall guys coming tomorrow to do estimates.

Hammergate hates tools, I've been working out like a fiend since XMas in an attempt to burn out all my alcohol poisoning and to say I started for reasons other than a New Years resolution.

Props on the home remodel. I ripped out about a 30 yard section of my lawn to do a garden when we first moved in. What a back breaker, I told my wife that even though Hammergate was 27 that was all I was doing for a lifetime.... You deserve a medal.

DickHead

Entryway through the load bearing wall. Some framing done in the laundry room but I have some sofits to create in there to pull that together.

DickHead
    The saga continues.....
    Laundry room is framed. Fireblocking is mostly in and most of my outlet boxes are hung. Fixed some small mistakes and hung some more sofits around stuff that sticks out. HVAC guy was out yesterday, hung 4 runs and a cold air return for $400.
    Today I'm going to finish hanging boxes, drill holes for wiring, and gotta go to lowes for supplies for the electrician (friend of a friend dealie).

Question for you tech geeks. I want to run network cable in one of the rooms. I just want to be able to hard network a couple computers, or have that be a selling point down the road. What do I need?

Uhhhh....Cat 5...

Of course I don't use that shiz anymore. Wireless is the only way to fly. It goes like this...plug the Comcast into the cable modem, then plug into your router. 2-4mb is waiting...

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Uhhhh....Cat 5...

Of course I don't use that shiz anymore. Wireless is the only way to fly. It goes like this...plug the Comcast into the cable modem, then plug into your router. 2-4mb is waiting...
    I acutally do have a wireless network. Is that enough for network gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Uhhhh....Cat 5...

Hmmmm......I would think so with Comcasts speeds. Although I am not a gamer.

Even the slower wireless networks (11Mbps) are much faster than any residential internet connection, so I don't think you'd be limited in any way by using wireless. As long as you've got good signal strength and quality where you have your computer set up, you should be good to go.

I would think that if you could use a wireless internet connection to do gaming online, then it should be good for networking some XBOXes together for a little tourney in your home.

That's what I'm designing my basement to do. XBOX nite!!

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I would think that if you could use a wireless internet connection to do gaming online, then it should be good for networking some XBOXes together for a little tourney in your home.

That's what I'm designing my basement to do. XBOX nite!!
    I'm not into the Xbox thing. I've never been able to get the freaking controllers on a game station down-pat. I prefer PC gaming.