Thread: Neon Canyon

Neon Canyon

OK, I think I am finally all caught up on my canyon photo TR's. The latest addition is Neon Canyon. Enjoy.

Photo TR:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/12/neon-canyon.html

Gallery with additional photos and no commentary:

http://shaggy125.zoto.com/galleries/neon

Merry Christmas everyone, it's time to head to the mountains for some fun in the snow, then it's off to visit family, then freezefest (that ice cube should have a smile), see you all when I get back.

Eric.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very nice
    I want to go canyoneering!!!

Wait wait it's still ice climbing season...

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Wait wait it's still ice climbing season...
    Not if this warm weather keeps up

After eating we headed down canyon toward the main branch of Neon. In order to get in we needed to pull out the rope. I set myself up as the human anchor and let Josh and Ben down, then I downclimbed with some help from Ben and Josh from the bottom. Once in the main drainage, we didn't waste any time and things got fun right off the bat.
    Downclimbs and elevator moves galore brought us to a single bolt station into a shallow slot section. We pulled out the rope and down we went.

Nice pictures and report. I believe you were operating off of my beta, shared with Benny, on the approach. Nice job finding it. Those walk around potholes up high are something. The first narrows you folks are wading and swimming in we call the Tribourgh Bridges section. When water is medium to low, one can crawl or swim through 3 natural bridges. That pothole lip looks like it could be trouble but in fact has a bedrock bottom and can't get deeper. Looks like you caught the whole canyon in fairly wet condition, which is best. Smart doing Neon, before doing Chop. It wouldn't be fair to Neon, which is a fine canyon, after doing a Chop 1st.
    Nice work
    Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    Nice pictures and report.
    Thanks. Josh took all the pictures as my camera got wet and I didn't dare turn it on. Luckily it worked the next day and I was able to snap some shots in Choprock.

I believe you were operating off of my beta, shared with Benny, on the approach. Nice job finding it.
    Yes we were, thank you very much for giving it to us! It made for a much more worthwhile day. If you hadn't given it to us we probably would have slept in, had to do the approach to the shorter version in the heat of the day, and still got back to camp around 3:00 p.m. Now that would have been boring!

The first narrows you folks are wading and swimming in we call the Tribourgh Bridges section. When water is medium to low, one can crawl or swim through 3 natural bridges. That pothole lip looks like it could be trouble but in fact has a bedrock bottom and can't get deeper.
    Yes, that was one of our favorite spots. We saw the bridges since Ben knew to look out for them (thanks again to you ), very cool place!

Looks like you caught the whole canyon in fairly wet condition, which is best. Smart doing Neon, before doing Chop. It wouldn't be fair to Neon, which is a fine canyon, after doing a Chop 1st.
    Nice work
    Ram
    Yea it seemed pretty full of water. I can't imagine it being quite as good without all the water. The original plan was to do Choprock first then Neon since it was shorter and we wanted to head home after . Once again your infinite wisdom helped us change that too. With doing the longer version both days were long, and saving Choprock for last was the best way to do it. Neon was great, but Choprock was unbelievable. Really looking forward to finally meeting you in person next week. The weather for freezefest looks awesome so far, your New Years Black Hole might not be as big of a stunt this year, the way this weather trend is going, it could be 60 degrees.

Eric.

PS I went a little nuts with the little smiley guys.

Great trip report and pics.

Looks like you folks had a great time!

Too bad I'm at work or I'd start packing the car...

Have a great Xmas out in Utah. I'm gonna get the skinny skis out for the Front Range here in Colo this coming week. The kid is out of school and I have the week free
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats