Thread: Radios & Jeeps

Radios & Jeeps

Anyone have good/bad/crazy experiences installing radio gear in a CJ?

I'm an amatuer radio guy and I do a lot of ARES (Amatuer Radio Emergency Service) work. Since my new vehicle is going to be a CJ I'm looking at options to install radios without killing the electrical and without having them out in the weather.

Points of special interst on this CJ:
    - Looks like the standard alternator - will probably upgrade it.
    - Has an Optima - Will high draw do bad things to it?
    - Radios will be in the tuff box, just control heads on the dash.

Any advice and stories welcome.

Thanks,
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have a littel expierence with Cj's and radios, not amatuer radio but with cd players and Car audio. I had an 84 cj 7 and if i had to do it again, I would mount every thing in Tuff boxs or some other type of location. I would not mount anything in the dash. From the expierence I had with the jeep is that is that when every it rained the dash always leaked no matter what I did (ruined 4 cd players). that is my 2 cents about the subject.
    SUWA Hates you, JUST SAY NO TO SUWA
    "Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared". Jack Handy

Thanks, I was toying with the idea of soft-mounting the control heads (velcro) so I could drop 'em in the Tuff Box when I wasn't using them. I had shelved this as probably not worth the effort but if the dash is prone to leakage then I will plan for it.

Good data to have!
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats