Thread: Can o' Fix-A-Flat punctured in my Jeep.

Can o' Fix-A-Flat punctured in my Jeep.

I had a can of Fix-A-Flat under my driver seat and hubby adjusted the seat and I think punctured the can somehow.

Anyway, we didn't identify the source for 4 days. The checmical smell is so overwhelming, even with the can removed, that a 10 min. drive with all the windows down gives you an instant headachey buzz.

So what can I do? There's no foam or anything under the seat to remove. I've only got tonight to fix it.

We have to drive 1.5 hours to the airport tomorrow (7am) and we are going to be seriously hurting if we have to inhale that for that long!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Can o' Fix-A-Flat punctured in my Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    So what can I do? There's no foam or anything under the seat to remove. I've only got tonight to fix it.
    I'd think some of that foaming carpet cleaner and a stiff scrub brush would do the trick. If not, I'd remove the seat and set a space heater in there, aimed at the spot where the stuff is/was. Of course, you'd have to keep a constant watch on it just in case something is still flammable, but the heat should help evaporate any chemical residue left behind. That might be a little too risky for you, but that's what I'd do if it were my vehicle.

dumping baking powder on it can be helpful. Dump it on tonight and vacuum it up right before leaving for the airport. Good luck!
    scars are tattoos with better stories

Re: Can o' Fix-A-Flat punctured in my Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    I had a can of Fix-A-Flat under my driver seat and hubby adjusted the seat and I think punctured the can somehow.

Anyway, we didn't identify the source for 4 days. The checmical smell is so overwhelming, even with the can removed, that a 10 min. drive with all the windows down gives you an instant headachey buzz.

We have to drive 1.5 hours to the airport tomorrow (7am) and we are going to be seriously hurting if we have to inhale that for that long!
    IMO, I would not put a space heater anywhere near it. That fix-a-flat stuff is usually highly combustible. I would try using some carpet cleaner, or baking soda, and if it doesn't snow at night, you might want to try leaving the windows down. Try consulting a car detailing place, and see if they could help you out, or at least sell you something that might help. I think that for the most part, it will take time for the smell to dissipate.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

If it is still wet you could use a blow dryer? I would go to an autozone or checker and ask what they recommend. Talk to one of the old timer types. The old mechanic boys that work at these places usually have a few tricks up their sleeve. Worse case scenario is that you both get lit up on the way to the airport and then drink cocktails on the flight.

Well, the IQ must be down a good 15 points by now from those fumes! It's not wet or damp or can you even see anything on the upholstry. So I dumped a whole box of baking soda on it may that will absorb some odors.

I called the fix-a-flat peple and he said try Febreeze. He said the can might have frozen also, which is possible since the days' highs are 20 and below. I always want to carry a can of it because it's save my behind many times, up in the mountains too.

When you use tyhat stuff on a tire, is the tire good as new? I have a can in my car in the old emergency kit but haven't had to use it yet.

I did puncture a tire the other day on State. I heard a hissing sound and found this thing in my tire. Kinda sucks when you have low profile tires!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Let's Roll

Ben, that fix-o-flat is a lifesaver. Last time I had a very slow leak, and we camped up in the Wind Rivers for 3 days and came out to a completely flat tire. So I used a whole can of it (you're supposed to use all of it at once I believe) and the tire was fully inflated and go me out on very rough 19 miles of bumpy dirt road, then another 3 hours back to Logan without any problems. Then a few weeks later we had the slow leak fixed eventually, but that one can lasted quite a while.

Jeep still smells though, after sitting at the airport for 5 days with the windows cracked. I may have to get it detailed.