Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arch Database

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    What is the name of the arch thats east of provo on the map "All Utah Re.jpg"?
    Looks to me like Diamond Fork Arch:

http://users.sisna.com/archman/DiamondFork.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been to all those arches except the last one of the photos you posted. Which one is that by chance?

The one with the Wagoneer in front of it is Whispering Cave. I can't say I knew it was an arch (unless there is another one visible in the photo). Definately many more arches in Dinosaur National Monument (mostly small) aren't on the map. I guess I can start keeping track of them and send them to you. Here is another on in Dinosaur, but I already sent this one in:

I have seen other ones scattered throughout the area (Buckwater Draw, Carcass Canyon, etc), but they are all fairly small. Here is an example. What we call Carcass Canyon has the one below (notice the rope in the pic):

I see they have the locally famous Rifle Arch marked on the map (near Rifle CO), but if you are curious, there's another locally famous arch near Meeker on the same highway. Unfortunately, it's on private land, but luckily can be seen easily from the highway.

The closest arch to Salt Lake City (that I know of) is the one in Mountain Dell Canyon (Storm Window is closer for some people in SLC). Used to be a nice hike, but I heard the trail is overgrown now.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

A couple of my favorites

Here's a couple of my favorite, out of the way arches. I have no idea if these have names.

This one is in the Babylon area of Leeds, just above the Virgin River. High enough to ride a horse thru.

This one is in Tanyaland, off Hancock Rd, by Coral Pink Dand Dunes:

I really enjoy all the arch pictures, thanks.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

If you have arches and would like to get them into the World Arch Database you can send your information to the folks at this site:

http://www.stonecanyonadventures.com/

If you have arches and would like to get them into the World Arch Database you can send your information to the folks at this site:
    How big would they have to be? I assume anything under 20-30 feet, is "just a window"?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Actually, they are collecting data on anything 3 ft and bigger. Although these types of formations might not be spectacular they are still considered to be arches or bridges and should be documented.

The database tries to include for every one of these arches GPS coordinates, a picture, a general description of location, and other information such as history, discoverer, best time to photograph the arch, and its photograph potential.

However, the creators of the database will accept and include as much or as little information as you have and try and fill in the blanks later.

Bogley BigShot

Re: A couple of my favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    This one is in Tanyaland, off Hancock Rd, by Coral Pink Dand Dunes:

I really enjoy all the arch pictures, thanks.

Win

Where!?!?!?!?!?! Exact directions please!

Tanya, I think it's .8 of a mile off 89 on the right side. You'll see this formation and it's about 300 ft behind it.

I'll be out there on Sunday with the 4WD club from Kanab and try to get you the Lat/Lon. The fellow in the arch picture is my best friend from NJ. He went down the hill to pee and found the arch. I later told a ranger at
    Coral Pink about it and he'd never heard of it. He later thanked me and had last years Christmas card with his family taken there. Pretty cool.

I might need to register it and call it McNally's Arch after my friend!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Bogley BigShot
    Yes! You found it, name it. Keep the pee part out of it though! I would love the coordinates!

If you are curious, now days, it is considered very bad practice to name any geographic feature after a person until they are deceased. Names for the living are not accepted by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, but I assume the Arch data base might not follow this rule and probably isn't as strict?

PS, looks like a cool arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    but I assume the Arch data base might not follow this rule and probably isn't as strict?
    Best as I can tell the arch database in managed by a group of arch enthusiasts for their enjoyment/amusment. They don't seem to be hung up on many of the naming rules that accompany other sports/hobbies/USGS/yada yada...... I find it a refreshing approach.

Anyhoo..... whenever I submit an arch or bridge to the NBAS I include any known name or any name my group has been using. To date they have always included the names I have presented in their database.

The NBAS currently have two arches in their database that include my kids nicknames..... the kids love it.... and I could really careless if it's considered bad form by some government organization.... YMMV.

Maybe I will name my next major discovery "Ice's Big Ol' Frickin' Arch"

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    If you are curious, now days, it is considered very bad practice to name any geographic feature after a person until they are deceased. Names for the living are not accepted by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, but I assume the Arch data base might not follow this rule and probably isn't as strict?

PS, looks like a cool arch.
    I've never liked naming things in nature after a person. I like the name to reflect the area. Old-timers came up with great names - if you can find what the locals call it. There is this cool arch at the Wave and a woman named it after herself. Its sort of okay though since her name is Melody. I thought it was named for the wind blowing through it or something until it was pointed out to me it was the woman who found it.

I've never liked naming things in nature after a person. I like the name to reflect the area. Old-timers came up with great names - if you can find what the locals call it. There is this cool arch at the Wave and a woman named it after herself. Its sort of okay though since her name is Melody.
    I tend to agree. Sometimes someone

I like the idea of naming natural features after the area. I know my friend could care less about an arch named after him.

What about an official Forum arch. This one is close to the hiway and easily accesible. People can go by when they're in the area and take a picture with it.

I say we adopt it and have a naming contest. I'll even donate a
    prize.

Your thoughts.

Win

I would definitely encourage anyone who knows about these wonderful arches to submit the information to the world arch database. The database is to some arch hunters what climb-utah is to some canyoneers.

When we first got the database we were amazed at how many arches there were in our area that we didn't know about. I am quickly coming to realize that there are many, many more out there that are undocumented. I would love to be able to visit some of your favorites.

Here is are pictures of the first two arches we found that were completely new to us. They were only about 15 minutes away, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    I like the idea of naming natural features after the area. I know my friend could care less about an arch named after him.

What about an official Forum arch. This one is close to the hiway and easily accesible. People can go by when they're in the area and take a picture with it.

I say we adopt it and have a naming contest. I'll even donate a
    prize.

Your thoughts.

Win

Games! I LOVE games. :)!!! (quit laughing everyone --- some of us like to play.... )

I need a bit more info. Its at the dunes or close? What is it on or near? Can you point to it on a map!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    I would definitely encourage anyone who knows about these wonderful arches to submit the information to the world arch database. The database is to some arch hunters what climb-utah is to some canyoneers.

When we first got the database we were amazed at how many arches there were in our area that we didn't know about. I am quickly coming to realize that there are many, many more out there that are undocumented. I would love to be able to visit some of your favorites.

Here is are pictures of the first two arches we found that were completely new to us. They were only about 15 minutes away, too.

What awesome arches!!!! --- Yeah... Shane is Mr. Canyoneer --- that's because he is so agreeable and colorful.

When I name things like arches or climbing/canyoneering routes it usually has some meaning related to the discovery of the item, or events leading to the discovery or something that happened related to the trip or......

But just about everything I have ever named has a good story to go along with the name.

Often I poll the group I'm with for good names..... usually someone has a great suggestion.

When I name things like arches or climbing/canyoneering routes it usually has some meaning related to the discovery of the item, or events leading to the discovery or something that happened related to the trip or......
    Yes, that's much different then just tagging someone's name on it.

Call it uutah.com arch. It sounds natural right?
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.