Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Database

Arch Database

I bought the Stone Canyon database containing all the worlds arches:
    http://www.stonecanyonadventures.com/AANPAbout.htm

The program contains a fantastic wealth of information and is well worth the coin just for the database. Biggest problem with the program is it is extremely amateur. Its put together like some 16 y/o kids basement website. But all the arches contain a picture, location, lat/lon, history....

I'm still playing with the program but to really make it worth while you also need good mapping software, the know-how to use it and lots of spare time.

But if you heard of an obscure arch and want to know where it is this is your program.

Ice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Below are some questions I answered in anther forum that I thought I would also post here....

***Awesome! Does it really have "all" of them?***

Nope, I know of a bunch of arches and bridges that are not recorded. But they give you the information on how to record them and send them in. Best of all you get to name the unrecorded arches you send in.

***Like all the Zion arches?***

The database contains a fantastic amount of info, but it does not contain everything. But it does contain almost everything that you would consider worth hiking to in Utah. So far I have mostly been messing with the Arches NP database, which coatians more then 2000 entries just for the park.

One problem I am finding is the database contains almost TO MANY entry's. To be an arch you must be able to pass a 3' disk through the opening. So every little crack in the rock is entered as an arch. Fortunately one of the search options lets you eliminate openings of less then whatever you enter.

I'm still just learning to mess around with the program. The database is outstanding, the program that interfaces with the database is very poor. But for the amount of info available in the database I consider it a very inexpensive program. Since the entire program is based on HTML and each arch is registered as its own HTML page I might try writing my own HTML based searchable interface.

Folks who think they are getting ripped off by spending $25 for a guidebook or website access will consider the Arch database a rip-off also. Folks who appreciate what an actual bargain an accurate database is will really appreciate the arch program, even with its many flaws. YMMV....

Ice

I have to concur. The databases (Arches and World), despite their failings, are well worth the money. Arch-hunting has become one of my family's favorite pasttimes. We decided that since our county has nearly 400 arches, it seemed like a good hobby to take up.

Yup, we live in a great county, eh?

Welcome to UUtah!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I have found one little trick that really helps me use the Arch database. I exported all the GPS waypoints out of the Arch database and imported them into my mapping program called Topo! Utah. I can use the map inside Topo to see where every recorded arch is located with just a quick glance. I have set up a separate map for each state I visit.

I'm sure you could do the same thing with any descent mapping program.

And welcome to the forum

That's exactly what I did. I've got POI files for San Juan County Arches, Grand County Arches, Arizona Arches, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are some wonderful arches near Grand Junction that I hope to visit at some point.

A quick question: I'm trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle and it appears to me that you, IceAxe, are the Shane from Climb-Utah? Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    I'm trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle and it appears to me that you, IceAxe, are the Shane from Climb-Utah? Is that right?

Bogley BigShot
    I have to concur. The databases (Arches and World), despite their failings, are well worth the money. Arch-hunting has become one of my family's favorite pasttimes. We decided that since our county has nearly 400 arches, it seemed like a good hobby to take up.

Welcome to the group! What arches have you found in the Zion and GSENM area?

We haven't made it West of San Juan County yet. There is still so much to explore here. We've explored Grand Gulch, Canyonlands, and South of Moab. I drool over the number of arches in GS and hope to start visiting some of the soon.

Bogley BigShot
    We haven't made it West of San Juan County yet. There is still so much to explore here. We've explored Grand Gulch, Canyonlands, and South of Moab. I drool over the number of arches in GS and hope to start visiting some of the soon.
    Let me know when you do. Here is what I have for Zion. Does anyone know of more?

Kolob Arch, two along the Bridge Mountain Trail, Two Pines Arch, Hidden Canyon Arch, Jug Handle Arch, Checkerboard Arch, Hidden Arch and Pico Rosado Arch . There are also some arches in the slot canyons including: The Subway, Fat Man's Misery, Spry Canyon, Pine Creek Canyon, Englestead Hollow, Imlay Canyon, Heaps Canyon and Eye of the Needle. Remote area include arches such as Hammerhead Arch and Elephant Arch.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zgeology3.htm

Not sure if this is related to the thread, but I was just goofing on Google Earth and found the following:

Delicate Arch: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=18...04973&t=h&om=1

Corona Arch:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1...2,0.004973&t=h

Okay, here are some great sites for the arch hunters out there.

Later tonight when I get home I will post some pictures of the World Arch Database coupled with NG Topo to give everyone an idea of just how many of these natural beauties there are in Utah.

For now, check these sites out:

http://www.utaharches.com/index.html
    http://users.sisna.com/archman/index.html
    http://www.naturalarches.org/
    http://www.stonecanyonadventures.com/wadabout.htm

This is actually a sublink on the NABS site but it specifically mentions the NEW 200+ arch that was written up at summitpost http://www.naturalarches.org/big9.htm.

Here is my first attempt in attaching an image.

This is an image of the locations of all of the arches in the southern half of Arches National Park. The locations come from the Arches NP Database from Stone Canyon (mentioned above). I imported the locations in National Geographic Utah State Topo!

To qualify as an arch the formation has to be 3 feet wide at some point so many of these formations are unexciting. Nevertheless, it is amazing to realize how many arches are being missed by the visitors to the park.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Okay, it looks like the image attachment worked, so here are some more. These are maps showing the arches in following areas:

1) San Juan County/Grand Gulch/Navajo Reservation
    2) Moab (minus ANP) and SRR
    3) GSEMN Area
    4) Northern Half of Arches NP

Anyone know a list of arches in Dinosaur National Monument? I know several of many sizes, but have never seen a list (I have only ever reported two). Is it on the database?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

One more: All Utah except Arches NP

Here is what I've found in the database for arches in Dinosaur NM. All the arches are on the Colorado side. Two are unnamed (so you may be able to name them). One (Outlaw Arch) is huge, very hard to get to, and very recently "discovered".

Info about Outlaw Arch can be found at summitpost or here:

http://www.naturalarches.org/big9.htm

The pictures (except for Outlaw) are all from the DB.

and you know, the man who discovered/named outlaw arch frequents this forum too

... mr patterson

but i am sure you realized that.

welcome to the forum by the way

I, in fact, did not know that Mr. Patterson was "that" Mr. Patterson. Where is the emoticon for "Boy, do I feel stupid!"

I think it says something good about Scott's personality that he didn't immediately respond to my post with something like "duh" or "uh, yeah, I already know about Outlaw".

Congratulations to him and a heartfelt .

What is the name of the arch thats east of provo on the map "All Utah Re.jpg"?