Thread: just another newby

just another newby

Good morning and happy December.

I'm David and a newby to the group.

Originally I am from Detroit, born and raised in the city. Graduated from Cooley High School more years ago than I care to admit. Left right after I graduated to play baseball. Never really looked back.

My brother has a website and group in Detroit called Beat the Train in Detroit. He is an avid urban bicyclist and I have been lucky enough to get him out here a couple of times to do Slick Rock in Moab.

I am not a Slick Rock fan. The last time I was there I ran into too many motorcycles. So down there, I prefer Gemini Bridges and Mill Canyon.

A few years ago a friend took me snowshoeing for the first time in my life. I fell in love with it. Immediately bought my own pair and go every chance I get. I enjoy going with friends but really prefer going with just my dog. Lucy is a black lab and according to Backpacker magazine, black labs are the best trail dogs. I have found that to be true with her.

I took some friends snowshoeing last week. They were all new and several were severly out of shape. So once I got home I had to take my dog for a run just to get some exercise.

I'm planning a snowshoeing/backpacking trip at the end of this year. I have about twenty people coming with me, including my teenage daughter. She is amazing. She has backpacked the Havasupai with me and is an avid climber. She did a 10 in Alaska with me last summer. Finally I have a child that will bike, hike, kayak, snowshoe, and climb with me.

That is me. Graduated from BYU and University of Phoenix. I am never happy with an outing unless I am exhausted, sweaty, and have a new scar to brag about.
    scars are tattoos with better stories

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good to have you aboard David. Sounds like quite the backpacking trip you have planned. I hope to have as much fun with my kids in the outdoors as you do. I have a 3 year old boy and another boy in the oven. Welcome.

start 'em young. The coolest thing I have ever seen was a guy backpacking his three year old down the Havasupai.

My granddaughter (yes I am that old) is three years old and hiked up to Delicate Arch this past fall. She was slow, but she did the whole thing carrying her own camelback.

They are tougher than we give them credit for.

Welcome!!

Yeah, my nephew was rock climbing at 2. Did a pretty decent job too.

I took my dad to the Cirque of the Towers last summer and we passed a couple along the trail, the guy had a giant pack, looked like he was carrying gear for both him and his wife. When the wife passed we noticed she was not carrying gear on her back, she had a kid that had to be under 1 year old hanging out in his/her kid pack thing, talk about starting them young! I can see myself doing something like that someday.

Eric.

Aha! Found a pic of my nephew on his first rock climb, in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Gotta love the Lizard harness

Jeff- that is phenomenal. There really isn't any reason that our kids should stop us from doing the things we love. We stop resenting them and they start loving the things that we do.

Welcome, david!

Havasupai is great, isn't it?

Havasupai is the best. Absolutely right. I will be going back there towards the end of June. Next weeK I will bring the phone number in and post it so that people can know who to call to make reservations. Billy is the guy in the office and reservations cannot be made until the 10th of January. Unless prices have changed, it costs $20 per person to get into the park and $10 per person per night. That really is a little pricey, but is so worth it. DO NOT rely on buying food or supplies in the village. The restaurant is humorous. The only time I ate there, they didn't have the first five things I wanted. One day they will have salad but no salad dressing. The next day they will have salad dressing but no salad. And the cost is really high and the food is really greasey. Next week I will post all of their information.

Quote Originally Posted by david staub
    Havasupai is the best. Absolutely right. I will be going back there towards the end of June. Next weeK I will bring the phone number in and post it so that people can know who to call to make reservations.
    Actually, I've got it in the trip report. It has the link to the tribe's website.

Here it is: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961

Quote Originally Posted by david staub
    Havasupai is the best. Absolutely right. I will be going back there towards the end of June. Next weeK I will bring the phone number in and post it so that people can know who to call to make reservations.
    Actually, I've got it in the trip report. It has the link to the tribe's website.

Here it is: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961