Thread: Happy birthday uutah.com & welcome climb-utah.com

Happy birthday uutah.com & welcome climb-utah.com

Our anniversary: On this date, one year ago, uutah.com was born. The old timers will remember the original style and humble beginnings. It was a goal of mine to create an easy medium to stay in touch with friends and meet new ones. To have a place to plan outdoor activities and share tales of adventures had in the wild. A web forum was the ultimate tool to share photos, upload video, and most importantly, tell a story. It has developed into a great place, with some great users, great photos, video and trip reports. The goals have all been met in the first year.

The announcement: The future is bright for uutah.com. On this day, our one year anniversary, we are announcing the merger of www.climb-utah.com with www.uutah.com. Climb Utah is a well known Utah outdoor website. Specializing in Canyoneering & Mountaineering activities. Home of the most accurate route descriptions and detailed maps available.

What does this mean: Climb Utah users have been using a Yahoo message board to communicate amongst members since 2001. There are nearly 2000 registered members in this group. They have many active, knowledgeable, and friendly outdoor lovers. Let

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been a member of Climb-Utah for two years now. It's well worth the measly annual fee. Shane's maps are idiot-proof, and the canyoneering routes are all well described.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Looks like I'll have a new major hobby this next year now that school's out.

Welcome, Climb-Utah! I'm excited about canyoneering this next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Shane is idiot-proof

Very cool. I've visited climb-ut a few times before I found this site. Hopefully this next year my damn house building disaster will be out of the way and I can participate in a few climbs.

Yeah baby.... taking the training wheels off and moving up to the Big Boy forum

This reminds me of the first Thanksgiving I no longer had to eat at the kiddie table.

Bogley BigShot
    Oh my uutah.com guys!!!!!

Do you know what you have done!!!!!

~laughing~ You put Shane in a command chair!?!?!?!?!

(just kidding)

http://www.zionnational-park.com

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Do you know what you have done!!!!!
    Not really?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Do you know what you have done!!!!! ~laughing~ You put Shane in a command chair!?!?!?!?!
    Actually my only job around this joint is to entertain the troops and myself. The nuts and bolts belong to others.... Life is good.....

If you are having trouble understanding my new role around here visualize the Wal-Mart greeter and you will have a clear picture.

Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    If you are having trouble understanding my new role around here visualize the Wal-Mart greeter and you will have a clear picture.

Ice

As you login he says, "Welcome to uutah.com".

OK... For the ladies in attendance l'm redefining my position slightly.... think of me as a "Roadie" for the band and ya got to pay up big time if ya want a backstage pass.

OK... For the ladies in attendance l'm redefining my position slightly.... think of me as a "Roadie" for the band and ya got to pay up big time if ya want a backstage pass.

Hey, I need a roadie. Do you have a sister?

Two very colorful and famous enities coming together, great!
    I've visited and used Climb-Utah off/on for a couple years now for our hikes. Great place to find Mom & Pop hikes when you have little ones with you. And at the other end of the spectrum, I never joined because it seemed to be far too tecniqual (?) for us. But as we get out more, the easier it has become. I'm very glad to see them connect up with uutah. Could be a marriage made in heaven... Let's hope it doesn't go the way of most celebrity marriages.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Walkers
    I've visited and used Climb-Utah off/on for a couple years now for our hikes. Great place to find Mom & Pop hikes when you have little ones with you. And at the other end of the spectrum, I never joined because it seemed to be far too tecniqual (?) for us.

I try and keep about 75% of the Climb-Utah.com website free, and use the coin from the other 25% to pay the bills.

But if you like the Utah outdoors I'll get ya signed up sooner or later

In other words.... luke, come to the dark side.

Ice

I try and keep about 75% of the Climb-Utah.com website free, and use the coin from the other 25% to pay the bills.

But if you like the Utah outdoors I'll get ya signed up sooner or later

In other words.... luke, come to the dark side.

Ice
    I'm often misunderstood, I'm not worried about the $$. Your "Cirlce Of Friends" is too advance at dangling from ropes, I'd feel like the old "Soap on a Rope" (remember that) and more like "Dope On A Rope"

Hoping that after my wife gets done with school in April we can find someone somewhere that teaches the ropes. She has done one rappel, terrified the shit out of her, and she wants more.. (does that make sense?). The check is in the mail (PayPal). Thanks for the many visits to you site, hoping for many more in the future.

Coming to you from the "Dark Side"

Windwalker
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Walkers

Hoping that after my wife gets done with school in April we can find someone somewhere that teaches the ropes. She has done one rappel, terrified the Sh*t out of her, and she wants more.. (does that make sense?). The check is in the mail (PayPal). Thanks for the many visits to you site, hoping for many more in the future.

Coming to you from the "Dark Side"

Windwalker
    I took the ACA's courses and even though some people complain about Rich's lack of organization he is a really great teacher and in my opinion it was the best $260 I ever spent. Many other canyoneering "schools" are more expensive and I honestly doubt they would teach you any better. You can always do the hook up with people and learn from them for free, but just remember some people will claim to be experts, but they learned from their friend who learned from a former climber, who learned from his dogs cousin etc... you see what I'm getting at. If you have the cash it's nice to take a class from a respectable organization and know you are learning from people who have really done their homework. Just my opinion.

Eric.

PS Shane's site is well worth the $$ especially if you are planning to get into the tech canyons. Once you start you'll never get enough!

Ice
    I know you are trying to market your site, and I know marketing involves a little bit or lying...errrr stretching the truth. But here is my count for you routes based off your "Updates" section for the last year.

If you only count routes and not stories, 58% of the routes updated are under the "Circle of Friends". If you exclude the free routes updated that are just old free routes revisited then you talking new routes. Of these new routes added to climb-utah.com 76% are in the Circle of Friends. In fact the last new free route added was the Spiral Jetty last May.

Now all that being said, Climb-Utah.com is the best guides for hikes in Utah. Better than any other book or website I have ever found (take that Tom Jones ). But the best stuff that you can't find in another source will cost you $25/year. This not free good stuff is the majority of the site IMO.

All that being said will one of you out there email me you username and password and save me the $25.

James

Oh well... gotta pay the bills somehow....

And when I say over 75% of my website is free I count all webpages as ONE.

But I'll make a deal with anyone who is interested.... you send me ONE good canyoneering route that I don't already know about and I'll pay YOU $25..... or sign you up for a free year.... your choice.

giddy up... sounds like a real bargin to me....