Thread: Snowshoeing Checklist

Snowshoeing Checklist

I haven't been Snowshoeing since I was in the Boy Scouts. What should I pack for a regular day hike?

How many miles for a beginner? And how much more time would it take than a regular hiking pace?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice to see so many recognizable handles on this site! I bought snowshoes last winter and had a blast on the days I couldn't bike. I mostly went up AF canyon since it's close to home. I only did the 2-3 hour hikes, not all day. I took my smaller camelbak with me but wished I had something bigger like the Hawg. I liked to overdress and shed clothes if needed. I always took snacks, firestarter, whistle, knife, emergency blanket, small flashlight. I would guess I normally hiked 5-6 miles. Hiking speed depends on terrain conditions. Trekking on packed roadway you can travel pretty fast, but I liked to get off into the powder (and bought longer snowshoes for that purpose) which is much slower. I hiked many of the trails I biked during the summer and it's interesting how different things look in the winter. Hope this helps.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Nice to see so many recognizable handles on this site!
    What's up, tallsteve? Welcome to the site! Yeah, we've got a few familiar "faces" here that are on UMB also.

Hey thanks for the tips. I went up to Weber State to check on some rental prices and availability, but they were closed.

Maybe I'll hit the Ogden Bonneville Shoreline Trail if it gets some deep snow on it, that way I'm familiar with my first trail.

Donut Falls up Big Cottonwood Canyon is one of my favorite snowshoe hikes. Here is a route description if you need it.

http://climb-utah.com/WM/donut.htm

Below is a picture of the falls in winter. Its really a cool place, pretty short and easy to get to. I take my kids all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the trail info, Iceaxe. That web site states that the falls are on private property, but, I'm guessing people hike it anyway? I'd like to try that one sometime.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    That web site states that the falls are on private property, but, I'm guessing people hike it anyway?
    Huh, I heard about that earlier in the year. Then I heard it was resolved? I think it was rockgremlin that mentioned this?

DickHead
    I'm still a beginner, but here is what I carry.
    Wearing:
    Waterproof insulated boots
    Wool socks with poly liners
    Waterproof pants
    Gaiters
    Fleece tights
    Expedition weight top
    Fleece pullover
    Wind/waterproof jacket (bought for cycling), or ski jacket shell
    Ear warmers
    MP3 player

Camelbak with gatorade/water mix
    In camelbak:
    Whistle
    Waterproof matches
    Poncho or emergency blanket
    First aid kit
    Maglite or headlamp
    Balaclava
    2 granola bars
    Canteen cup and heating tablets

Probably overkill, but I'm like that.

I'm going to try and hit Yellow Fork this week, I'll report on the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    I'm going to try and hit Yellow Fork this week, I'll report on the conditions.
    Cool!

I've been snowshoeing for about 10 all told and my 11-year old is going into his 6th winter of it.

What to carry is really what works for you but some of my essentials are:

-Sportsman's blanket w/50' paracord - emergency shelter.
    -First-aid kit - I built my own to fit the most common stuff I run into
    -Extra layers for stopping in.
    -Map & Compass - the batteries in a GPS can go south in the cold but if my compass quits pointing north there are bigger problems than me being lost in the woods...
    -MSR Pocket Rocket - You have to have hot chocolate!! besides it's good for melting snow for extra water if needed.
    -Light of some kind as it gets dark sooner in the winter
    -Sunglasses as snowblindness is something you never want to experience.
    -Extra socks!
    -Extra snacks as you burn more calories staying warm

This is far from complete and I tailor my list to where I'm going and who I'm going with but it should get you started.

Enjoy!

Don

Re: Snowshoeing Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I haven't been Snowshoeing since I was in the Boy Scouts. What should I pack for a regular day hike?

How many miles for a beginner? And how much more time would it take than a regular hiking pace?
    in wmc we divide the level in ntd mod sds ext
    so there are stuff for beginner and advanced
    folks are old (over 40)
    but very safe
    is a good place for people that never been out and want be out of avalanche risk
    by the way wmc is wasatch mountain club

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Donut Falls up Big Cottonwood Canyon is one of my favorite snowshoe hikes. Here is a route description if you need it.

http://climb-utah.com/WM/donut.htm

Below is a picture of the falls in winter. Its really a cool place, pretty short and easy to get to. I take my kids all the time.
    never been there
    tell your brother to move his ass and invite me there
    c'mon
    please please

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    tell your brother to move his ass and invite me there
    c'mon
    He's in NY for the week. Said he would visit the group out when he gets back in town.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

[quote="hesse15[/quote] in wmc we divide the level in ntd mod sds ext
    so there are stuff for beginner and advanced folks are old (over 40)
    but very safe is a good place for people that never been out and want be out of avalanche risk by the way wmc is wasatch mountain club <<<<<

Hey! Since when did being over 40 mean you were old? We're just getting our second wind to do things the right way for the next half of our life after learning (hopefully) from the mistakes made during the first half! A particular plus about being 40 or older is that we got to grow up in an era with the very BEST music! Last time I checked, the Stones just did a sold out concert tour and those boys are all over 60!!! Trust me when I tell you that 40 doesn't look (or feel) so old anymore once you get there.

Savanna
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

[quote=savanna3313]
    Quote Originally Posted by "hesse15[/quote
    in wmc we divide the level in ntd mod sds ext
    so there are stuff for beginner and advanced folks are old (over 40)
    but very safe is a good place for people that never been out and want be out of avalanche risk by the way wmc is wasatch mountain club <<<<<

Hey! Since when did being over 40 mean you were old? We're just getting our second wind to do things the right way for the next half of our life after learning (hopefully) from the mistakes made during the first half! A particular plus about being 40 or older is that we got to grow up in an era with the very BEST music! Last time I checked, the Stones just did a sold out concert tour and those boys are all over 60!!! Trust me when I tell you that 40 doesn't look (or feel) so old anymore once you get there.

Savanna

you right
    give me 6 more year and i will think that over 40 are not old anymore!!!!
    i am still recovering to accept the fact that I am not in my twenty anymore!!!!
    yes but Duran duran now they just look like a bunch of old fart guys
    and I was so in love with them!!!!
    being serious is a nice group to do snowshoes and they kick ass!!!

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    you right give me 6 more year and i will think that over 40 are not old anymore!!!! i am still recovering to accept the fact that I am not in my twenty anymore!!!! <<<<

No lie.....20 seemed like yesterday. Time goes by quickly, so just do the best you can, and have all the fun you can while it's passing!! I have found that life definitely gets more interesting the older I get.....

Savanna
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

40 better not be old or I'm in trouble!

Becuase we get off the beaten path quite a bit when snowshoeing we're getting beacons for Xmas. Already been to several classes and looking at Av rescue as a possibility this winter. We'll have to see as I'll be doing ice rescue too and time is limited.

One really nice thing about snowshoeing/nordic ski is that you *don't* have to stick to the trails if you don't weant to. Because the snow will all melt in the spring anyway you don't have to as concerned about the "travel on durable surfaces" part of LNT. That doesn't mean damage is impossible so use common sense, but the possibilities for routes are greater in the winter!

Stay dry and stay safe out there!

Don