Thread: Echo and Behunin Canyons, Zion

Echo and Behunin Canyons, Zion

Well, I'll keep this pretty short. Summers and I did Echo on Friday, and bought 10 permits to do Pine Crack with a big group that Sam was supposed to bring down. Well, Sam's group decided not to come, so Summers and I did Behunin on Saturday.

Echo took us about 4 hours, I think. You must wear full wetsuits this time of year.(really anytime of year in Echo it's a good idea.) That water is cold. The water was not very high. The log soup that we had to swim through on Memorial Day was a lot lower, but there is still enough water that you have to swim . . . often. All of the anchors are good in this canyon. The hike is hard, but not horrible.

Behunin was great. It took us about 6.5 hours. We were careful and didn't ever get our feet wet. I don't know why Shane doesn't really like this canyon. Well, that's not true. I know why he doesn't like it, but I disagree. Whatever. The raps are all huge and fun. The narrow sections, if there really are any aren't all that impressive, but they work. Summers said he liked it almost as much as Mystery. All of the anchors and bolts are good enough for now. They'll probably need some work next year. The anchors for the last rappel are great.

Fun times. Here are the pictures.

Echo:

Entrance hike to Echo. I love this little place.

Cold water.

This one should be a contender for the image bar.

Yup snuck one in again.

Behunin:

Summers on Scout Lookout

Yeah, they're bolts. So what?

Summers

These were probably the worst bolts in the canyon. Pretty loose.

This is the rappel off those bolts in the previous picture.

Last Rap. The sky got washed out in this picture. I'll fix it in PS and repost it.

Summers on the last rappel.

Why do they build so many damned Carins???? I'm so confused. I have no idea which way to go. (We knocked them all over, and then went stealing candy from little kids.)
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: TR - Echo and Behunin Canyons, Zion

Quote Originally Posted by price1869

Entrance hike to Echo. I love this little place.

That is a pretty sweet entrance. Is it natural?

Yup snuck one in again.
    You should grow that goatee out.

Interesting combo platter.

Echo.... the most underrated of the Zion canyons.

Behunin.... the most overrated of the Zion Canyons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech

That is a pretty sweet entrance. Is it natural?

You should grow that goatee out.
    a. No, it was blasted out in the Depression days I suppose. It's just a part of the East Rim trail.

b. My facial hair looks like I do a small amount of chemotherapy on the side. I let it go for about a month at a time, but a beard is way beyond my reach.

b. My facial hair looks like I do a small amount of chemotherapy on the side. I let it go for about a month at a time, but a beard is way beyond my reach.
    Don't worry, mine used to be like that too. I had to have peach fuzz on my face for about 3 months, then it finally thickenned up.

Be carefull though, once you grow it in you'll never want to shave it off. It will make your face look fat.

Or it could be the Big Macs I'm eating.

Nice TR. I really want to do Behunin - mainly because I love rappelling, and Behunin has many fairly large raps. That and I know Shane hates it.

Nice work on knocking over the cairn-garden.

BTW, I read an article in GQ about 5 years ago stating that the Goatee was officially OUT. That was 5 YEARS AGO PEOPLE!! It was popular in the early 90's, now it's just annoying. Welcome to 2005, shave that ugly thing off!!

The only people who look good with a goatee are Satan and Fu Manchu.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

You read GQ, thats so out. Men's Health came in like 5 years ago. jk

yeah, i like the scruffy look for a while. But really, you should be finding me your single girlfriends and asking them what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    The only people who look good with a goatee are Satan and Fu Manchu.
    But a lot of people in Hollywood like Satan, so that's a contradiction.

Superriffic S*
    I haven't ever been a fan of chin pubes. But, maybe my opinion doesn't count because I am married...? Believe me if you are married and anjoy all the "benefits" of being married you'll definately want to shave those chin pubes before your wedding night, unless you marry a prude, in which case... keep um' Just food for thought.

Echo...The hike is hard, but not horrible.
    I don't get it, the Echo hike is on a partly paved NPS trail? Do you mean the vertical gain makes it hard?

Why do they build so many damned Carins???? I'm so confused. I have no idea which way to go. (We knocked them all over, and then went stealing candy from little kids.)
    Where were these carin? What do they mark?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Superriffic S*
    I haven't ever been a fan of chin pubes. But, maybe my opinion doesn't count because I am married...? Believe me if you are married and enjoy all the "benefits" of being married you'll definitely want to shave those chin pubes before your wedding night, unless you marry a prude, in which case... keep um' Just food for thought.
    I have read this like four times and I just don't get the sexual innuendo. Please explain for the slow ones like me.

Seems to have worked the other way around for me... after five years of marriage (with a goatee) my wife hated to kiss me after I started shaving it off this last year.

James

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I 'spose. I love your signature btw.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I love your signature btw.
    I was gonna say the same thing. Is that a real quote? I like how he calls 'em hippies, but it probably would have been more like drunken sh!t kickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    I love your signature btw.
    I was gonna say the same thing. Is that a real quote? I like how he calls 'em hippies, but it probably would have been more like drunken sh!t kickers.
    Yeah it is a real quote. See my TR on Range Creek Canyon in the Hiking section for more explaination.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Superriffic S*
    I haven't ever been a fan of chin pubes.
    Don't say that around the Ogden boys, we'll kick some hairless arse.

Except in dodgeball.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Yeah it is a real quote. See my TR on Range Creek Canyon in the Hiking section for more explaination.
    I couldn't find the Range Creek TR. I've been wanting to go there, since it's only 30 miles from Price (as the crow flies, anyway), but I've been too lazy to get the permit or whatever else it takes to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I couldn't find the Range Creek TR. I've been wanting to go there, since it's only 30 miles from Price (as the crow flies, anyway), but I've been too lazy to get the permit or whatever else it takes to get in.
    Sorry about the mix up, check sometime Tuesday morning. (I am still writing it )

James