Thread: What brought YOU to Utah?

What brought YOU to Utah?

Putting together a photo album last night from our first year here, I was thinking about how many people we've met in our short time in UT, and also that it's interesting that 90% of them are not from here!

Q: if you grew up in a different part of the country, why are you living in UT now and where did you come from?

My wife and I landed here on a lark during job searches starting last year. We we were looking for somewhere to live "out west" to experience mountain biking in real mountains, etc... Michigan is absolutely a great place to be, but it's uhhhhhh.... vertically challenged shall I say? :)

Tammy is a teacher so we looked at the ever growing Las Vegas, places in CO, and AZ and one day I said hey how about Salt Lake? I'd been hearing so many good things about this place from TreeHugger (karen). So Tam interviewed here and ended up with a much better gig than in those other states anyway! Turns out, in my opinion we couldn't have asked for a better environment for the outdoorsy lifestyle we love

I stayed in MI for 6 months to sell the house, then moved here in Feb and found a great job too, and now every day is like a vacation. Where else can you snowboard and bike in the same day, and be 3 hours from the awesome slot canyons and slickrock down south? (or go snowshoeing in the mtns the day before halloween like last Sunday!)

Utah rocks. For those who grew up here and have never lived anywhere else, you don't realize how lucky you are haha..

anyway, what's your story?
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I moved here because my ex-wife was from here, I stayed here after we got divorced and have been here ever since. I lived in New Hampshire for 18 years and then Virginia for four yeard. I do not think I will be leaving here anytime soon since I really do enjoy being here. I love the wide open space and we do have some really nice roads for road biking.

I was in CO for a backpacking trip the year before I graduated from college. All I knew from then on is that I was going to live out West sooner or later.

So I finish college in Indiana, then I sign up to do an SCA internship (Student Conservation Association), they have tons of internships dealing with natural resource mgmt, archeology, biology, all sort of things with environement and land. It's a great deal, plus $ for paying off loans.

So the one in Utah was the only one that took me. I applied to others and got some phone interviews. I didn't even have Utah on my radar! It was based out of Duchesne, I lived in Hanna and Roosevelt.

So I graduate, move to Utah all in a week. I meet my husband the very first day I arrive in Utah (also a transplant). He was a wilderness ranger (High Uintas) and I was their GIS intern. We had the same bunk house, we were an "item" after 3 days. That was all in 1999.

He said he wanted to stay in Utah so he can go to school and he almost had residency at the time. So I stuck with him and that's how we ended up in Logan.

every day is like a vacation
    Woah. I was saying this my first year here too!

DickHead
    Work. The clock is ticking, might as well announce it here. I'm slated to move to VA in '08.

Looks like some good snowboard threads coming up this winter!!

Sorry for the reply, I'm from here.

BUT, I've been out of state many times on business, and pleasure. I lived in London, England for a couple of years.

One thing that reminds me how fortunate I am to live here is, I've got all my pictures on screensaver, and when I would take my laptop on business trips, I'd leave to go get a snack or something, and when I came back, everybody would be fascinated with my screensaver. They'd be saying stuff like "Aw, it's just not fair" as they were salivating over the red rock pictures I had.

DickHead
    To expound on my previous post:
    I was in a shitty little town in Texas. Nothing to do, and bored out of my skull at work. I was trying desperately to get out of there. Got offered transfer here for a considerable pay raise. Defintely worked out to my benefit.
    Its been fun, but I put in for and have been accepted for another promotion, this one is in Virginia. Moving date, however, isn't until Jan '08.

Re: What brought YOU to Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker

Utah rocks. For those who grew up here and have never lived anywhere else, you don't realize how lucky you are haha..

anyway, what's your story?
    Ian
    Ian,

I think you named most of the reasons we've never moved away from Utah. I can account for six years that I was not here in Utah, those because of God and Country. But even then God and Country considered Utah my home address.

Jump on the wheeler and in five minutes we're on dirt at the mouth of a local canyon. In ten more minutes we're on Forest Service, twenty minutes way from the skyline drive. Some of the best hunting in the state. And it's just not that far from the San Rafael Sell or the West Desert. I just doesn't get much better than that.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Chris and I often wonder if we'll remain in Utah. We keep saying only for 5-10 years. It's been 6 years so far for me, longer for him. I just don't know where else you can go where the housing is cheap, the forest access is easy, the scenery is grand, and life is leisurely all without living in a big city.

I'd imagine we'll be sticking around even longer that we first imagined now that he got offered a job, which will wait for him until after his schooling (2 more semesters). We've never had 2 full incomes before, we won't know what to do with ourselves!

What brought me here?

Women of Swedish decent....

Re: What brought me here?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleDelux
    Women of Swedish decent....
    I'm completely obssessed with one in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleDelux
    I'm completely obssessed with one in particular.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

I found its best to always have a back-up.... and a fer sur....

Lets see... thats the standard, the back-up and the fer sur.... yup... three... sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

I found its best to always have a back-up.... and a fer sur....

Lets see... thats the standard, the back-up and the fer sur.... yup... three... sounds good to me
    Not me, I'm so flipped out on this Swedish blonde girl I've con'd into liking me. I could hang out with her for a lifetime. I'd do anything for her.

<wwaaaphisssh!>Triple<wwaaaphisssh!>Triple<wwaaaph isssh!>