Thread: The Haute Route

The Haute Route

Per Sombeech's request, here is some info on the Haute Route. I went last summer. Here is a brief write up of the trip:

PARIS AND THE ALPS, July/August, 2004

This was one of the most amazing and most difficult trips we have ever done. We started out in Paris to catch the end of the Tour de France, and, of course, to see Lance Armstrong win an unprecedented sixth Tour. We got into Paris early evening on Saturday, and then, bright and early Sunday morning we walked to the Champs Elysees. We were very fortunate to be able to stay with our good friends Rich and Laura on the Isle St. Louis, right in the middle of the Seine. Laura's mom co-owns an apartment there, what an excellent spot! We got down to the Champs Elysees early and was able to find a spot along the fence at about 10:00 am. Then... we sat, and sat, and waited for 8 hours before the riders of the Tour came storming by. It was amazing. Fortunately, where we were, the riders looped eight times, and then did a team ride at the end. Go Lance!!

Then , we left to catch a train to Chamonix at 5:00 am the following morning. Upon arriving in Chamonix we started our trek. For the next 12 days we climbed up and over 11 mountain passes, through charming little Swiss mountain towns, through pastures and meadows, across glaciers and through the most incredibly beautiful scenery you can ever, ever imagine. The entire trek was mind-blowing amazing. Although our bodies became fatigued, our minds were always in awe and drinking in the magnificent mountains, and this gave us energy.

Our favorite day on the trip was a trek from Cabane de Moiry to the Cabane Prafleuri. This day was the longest, and physically most difficut, yet the most fun and amazing. We crossed THREE mountain passes in one day. But, the terrain was so varied that one never tired of it. We went over grassy meadow passes, with views of the Grand Combin gracing our presence and Ibex climbing the rocky ridges above us. We then crossed over a rocky, craggy, scree strewn pass, and finally across the Grand Desert, a vast wasteland left by glaciers with a huge bowl of glaciated mountains all around it and icy blue silt ponds scattered through it. wow.

Our accomodations were primarily in mountain huts or in dotoirs. Dotoirs are like dormatory rooms, usually found above restaurants in the small villages. Often we were sleeping in group bunks, that was interesting! :-) Along the way we met lovely and wonderful people from all over the world, but our favorites were Hob and Deb, who happened to be from Connecticut! They were also doing the same trek as we, but with some variation. We often ended up at the same lodging and often were able to hike with them as well. They were kind, fun, and funny people, they are both teachers and have been doing long long treks and bicycle trips togther (usually months long) since the 70's when they met. We learned a lot about treking and about life and relationships from them. They were definately an inspiration.

We finally reached Zermatt. I'm not sure what we were expecting but it struck us as kind of a let down. It was a cute town, but very very touristy. I think we just weren't ready for so many people!! We really just wanted to go back to the mountains once we got there. But, we were tired, and it was nice to be still for awhile. :-) The Matterhorn greeted us in the morning and let us know we were finished with a touch of sadness and of pride for having accomplished such a goal. This was truly the trip of a lifetime and to be able to do this together was a dream come true.

You can view pics here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmilla.../ph//my_photos
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow those are amazing photos.....a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Thanks for the trip report! That is one amazing journey, and to see the Tour de France!

Looks like you got to see the Matterhorn? (is that how you spell it?)

Those are amazing pictures.

Thanks! Is was definately incredible - and a great experience to share with my husband. I'm glad you liked the write up and pics!!

Karen
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

OMG! What an amazing trip.

Thanks so much for sharing

Don

Thanks for reading! :-)

There is a route that is very similar that is done on skis - how cool would that be?? Maybe that will be a future trip!