Thread: Backpacks

Backpacks

I am looking at getting me a high quality back pack this spring. I have a buddy that swears by Dana Designs. I have looked at them and they are nice. I'm looking at the arc-flex design in the 5800.

I have had several other cheaper packs in the past but none seam to fit or carry the load very well.

Just wondering if a $400.00 pack is worth it or not?

What is everyone else carrying?

One of the Uintah Lakes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Some on here (Sombeech) will tell you to go to Walmart. I got a really expensive pack in high school (93) and it has been on countless trips. I like to buy the really good stuff and keep it for a long time. Just the way I am.....

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Some on here (Sombeech) will tell you to go to Walmart.
    Naahhh. I'm a big Walmart fan, but for important stuff like backpacks, you've just got to go to a professional source.

Not to say that Gart Bros is the professional source, but I've got a Jansport backpack. I forget the cargo space, but it's pretty big. I always carry way to much on my back, just because I can fit it in there.

I think it was around $300

If you're going to use it a lot, it's worth the investment. I got my North Face backpack about 10 years ago for about $300, and it's been the best investment ever. Here's a couple of pics from our last trip with my trusty backpack - 13 days in the Alps.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I've got an Osprey Aether 75. Plenty of space for a weekend or a week if you pack right, carry is comfortable, but i don't have that much experience with the pack yet, just got it this summer. Price is around $240
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Awesome! How many times have you been there?

How long did you stay?

Did they fulfill your expectations? You should do a trip report!

This was the first time. It was the trip of a lifetime - amazing. We flew into Paris, saw the last day of the Tour on the Champs Elysee (sp?) and then took the train to Chamonix, began our trek the next day and 13 days later ended up in Zermatt. It's called the Haute Route, we read about it in Backpacker Magazine and thought "We gotta do that!" We stayed in mountain huts and little dorm rooms above restaurants and bars in tiny little mountain towns. We didnt need to carry tents, but carried clothes, medical and emergency equipment, food, water, and other miscellaneous things. We hiked over 11 mountain passes!! Exhausting and envigorating at the same time.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

That's really cool. You should start another thread, and post all of your pics on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    It was the trip of a lifetime - amazing.

Is anyone using an Osprey pack? I was looking at them this evening. I they looked to be a very good pack. About the same price as the Dana Design. Just curious as to load distribution and comfort?

It would be nice to have a try before you buy it place, wouldn't it?

I've got an Osprey Aether, bought it at kirkams (7200 S. State) You can try it down there, load it up, walk around, you know the deal. Its a nice pack and works pretty well for 30-40 pound loads, which is all i've really tried with it. From what i've seen, the pack seems to be pretty top notch quality, plus osprey has awesome customer support, i've emailed them with a couple questions and they always respond within a day with a ton of helpfull information.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Crazy horse, Kirkhams is on about 3150 S. or so. Sportsmans in on 7200S and about 300 West. At least the last time I checked.

right...my bad...i was a bit tired last night when i posted that

I realize the thread is a bit stale but I've got an Osprey Atmos 50 that rocks for a short trip pack and high volume daypack (climbing, SAR).

For the longer stuff I use my trusty Lowe Contour IV (90L+15) which is a workhorse and comfy with the loads I carry while backpacking with an 11-year-old.

Don
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by dbessee
    I realize the thread is a bit stale...
    Hey, don't worry about ressurections. Thanks for the info!

if you go to kirkman check also rec outlet stuff
    sometime they have overstock or old series packs and price usually are good
    you can copy some names and brand and check in review in google like backpacker magazine or stuff like that
    it will make a difference if you want do a long backpack and you are looking for being really light
    but if you want something that last and is well built there are tons over there
    danadesign is pretty much appreciate there is arkterix (not sure spelling right)
    or tons of other brand
    if you are not planning serious expedition 300 $ for a pack that perhaps critters will chew an hole on it to me sound a little too much

Backpack Choice

I've found the Granite Gear Virga or Golite Jam (both about 21-ozs and close to 3000 cubes) is fine for what I need. More than 3000-cubes and there's the temptation to fill the space. The Aether 45 is also nice but a tad heavy.

Including pack, tent, bag, mat etc (for up to 2-weeks), base weight is under 12-lbs. Food is 1.5-lbs a day (I weigh 170-lbs) and generally average 18-miles a day.

Carrying 20-22 lbs, depending on distance to resupply (water is carried on the hipbelt so it doesn't add weight to the shoulders - the day's food and other essentials are carried in pants cargo pockets) allows me to wear trail runners whenever less than half the day is spent on snow and/or ice.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse
    I've got an Osprey Aether, bought it at kirkams (7200 S. State) You can try it down there, load it up, walk around, you know the deal. Its a nice pack and works pretty well for 30-40 pound loads, which is all i've really tried with it. From what i've seen, the pack seems to be pretty top notch quality, plus osprey has awesome customer support, i've emailed them with a couple questions and they always respond within a day with a ton of helpfull information.

I've got an Osprey also. It's the best pack I've ever worn. I also got mine at kirkhams- on sale. I finally had a fiece of plastic sheeeting- something that supported the belt- tear. That's the only part I've had to replace in 4 or 5 years. I called osprey and told them what happened- they said "No prob" and send me a free replacement- no charge for shipping and a bunch of Osprey stickers.
    We love the things we love for what they are
    -Robert Frost

I hear good things about the Osprey packs. I just bought a Vortex and love it. Are the Osprey's that much better than the Vortex?
    Peter

Anyone have a Dana Designs Racer X for canyoneering? I am thinking of buyng, but I am not sure of the quality.
    Reedus