Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moab Alternative

Moab Alternative

After living & working in Moab for a summer, plus countless trips down there, I hate to say it, especially to you guys, but I'm kind of tired of going there. So I've taken some time out to go on a trip in 2 weeks and I'm looking for a new place to go. St. George is at the top of my list since it'll be warmer & I know there's a good biking scene down there. I've seen a couple TR's for rides down there, but wanted to get some suggestions on what you guys think the top 3 rides are down there, and suggestions on where to camp. Or if you know of a place a little further down the road in NV, CA, or AZ with some good rides, I'm open to suggestions.
    Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My top three and there are two others (Hurricane Rim, Little Creek Mtn) that I need to ride. They may make the list.

#1 Gooseberry Mesa
    #2 JEM Trail
    #3 Green Valley Loop

Go to Fruita!! (CO) It's awesome.

Only another hour from the I70/191 junction.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

If St. George and Fruita, CO are on the list, I'd go with Fruita also. Have you been there mroy?

I though it was another 30 minutes from the Moab junction.

I've never even heard of Fruita, but I checked it out for a minute & it looks like it has some good options. I'll check it out more tonight. What are your favorite trails there?
    Mike

Fruita is amazing. You should defintely go there!

http://www.otesports.com/shop/category.cfm?cid=2&sid=2

I would consider buying this book and their map to get orientated with the area.

We camped at the Colorado River - Fruita State Park (there's an Island C.G. also) right across from town. It's very nice with hot showers (5 stars in the realm of state campgrounds) and easy access, yet tucked away from town. You can camp in the Bookcliffs, but you need a fire pan and groover.

There's 3 main areas we visited:

1. Bookcliffs - north of town (good trails there Zippety Do Da, Western Zip, Chutes and Ladders, Prime Cut, Joe's Ridge)

2. Kokopelli's area - (Mack's Ridge, Horsetheif Bench, Mary's Loop)

3. Loma exit - dang I can't remember some names...

Anyway, lots and lots of riding all pretty much concentrated at 3 big trailheads. There's other areas too for riding, but these were the main 3 we rode.

I've been hearing a lot about Fruita lately. Sounds like we'd better check it out next year.

We're heading to St George sometime soon... But then again we could switch to Fruita...

So tell us, who of y'all has been to Fruita?

What it's going to come down to is weather. Fruita averages highs of 58 & St. George averages 71 for the time I'll be on my trip. If it warms up for that weekend, I'll definitely go to Fruita, otherwise I'm going to stick with St. George for this trip, and head to Fruita in April or May.

So, for you guys who go to St George, where do you usually camp at? Or do you just stay in hotels?
    Mike

58 is perfect for riding! A little chilly at night but that's what ya have a campfire and a warm sleeping bag for!

I agree with everything Shan said. Those are the main areas.

There are some Fruita pics posted on the Utah Mountain Biking site (UtahMountainBiking.com) in their general forum if you want to check it out. I have a couple, too, I'll post here when I get home.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    So, for you guys who go to St George, where do you usually camp at? Or do you just stay in hotels?
    My grandparents have a Condo down there. Yeah, I've got the hookups!!

It works out pretty well, too. It's right there in the middle of St George. I like camping, but nothing beats coming back from a ride, hopping in the shower, and heading down to Mesquite for a Crab Buffet!!!

Friday Night

Saturday Night

This is another bonus over the other destinations, but seriously, I'm going to look into Fruita for next year.

58 is a pretty good riding temp, but with days as short as they are now, it won't be 58 for very long & with lows in the 20's the mornings would suck. I'll definitely get down to Fruita next year though.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    My grandparents have a Condo down there.
    Yeah, that's gotta be nice.
    Mike

I always camp it! Went down to St. George the week before Christmas last year and camped. Just wear/bring alot of down clothing and wood for a fire. By the time we cook some breakfast, fix a hot drink to sip on, pack the car with bikes and get to the trailhead, it's sunny/warm enough to change into bike clothes at the TH.

Here's my fave campground. This is across from Leeds, exit 23 if you're heading south I believe. Prospector Trail and Church Rocks can be ridden right from you tent! There's a hose there too if you get mud on your bike.

http://www.redcliffsdesertreserve.com/

Snow Canyon State Park is another place too.

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/park_...ge.php?id=scsp

Thanks Shan, they look like great places.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    That's pretty cool. We'll have to check it out.

I know this is a Utah site but, another great place to ride - and it is virtually untouched , is the Green River, Wyoming area - southwest wyoming from I 80 south along the Flaming Gorge to Manila, Ut & then up into the uintahs. I have personally been working on over 200 miles of rideable stuff & some not so rideable...awesome freeride stuff! Check out my website at http://balder.prohosting.com/greyhair for trails & despriptions & pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    I know this is a Utah site but, another great place to ride...
    Yeah, although it's a Utah based site, I think it's good to know about all activities that are easily accessible for us in Utah, or those of us who were once in Utah.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out -- when do you think the best times of the year are for riding out there?
    Mike

Green Rivers' elevation is 6100 feet so naturally it's cooler here. This time of year you just have to be a die hard rider sometimes. Today I ride..tomorrow it might be snowing. April to October is my best guess for all around riding. I am ready to put my order in for the studded Nokians

Green River is in the middle of high arid desert area - lots of sagebrush, cactus & if youre lucky juniper. Trails here usually start out life as game trails...deer & antelope mostly, along with sheep & cow.Rock shelfs are everywhere if you like to bomb downhill & drop big. SO, make a road trip loop through Green River south on highway 530 to Manila, Ut then south over the uintah mountains & drop to Vernal, Ut ...a non-stop bikepark for nearly 200 miles.