Thread: Neon Canyon

Neon Canyon

So, I am still not very good at taking good pictures on canyoneering trips, but here is this times attempt at it. A couple of friends, and I went to Escalante this last weekend, only two of us had done Peak-a-boo and Spooky, so we had to take the others there. That was friday, we got down there about 2 and were hiking by 3, the weather was so nice. We even went up Brimstone to the water, but all this was a warmup for the following day.

We drove out to Egypt and got there about 8. The times I have been there before, there have never been another car there, I guess the secret is out. Saturday morning we got up to a beautiful sunrise, slept in a little more and then took our time getting ready. About 9:30 we left the trailhead, with totally clear skies and nice temps. We took the direct route heading straight towards the mouth of Neon and about noon we dropped off into the escalante. We left some stuff in the mouth of Neon and started up the side of the canyon. Because clouds were gathering and only some of us had wetsuits we decided to drop in above the last 3 repels. The water not too bad, and only forced a swim in about 3 places. I was very surprised to see the keeper full of water, and it may have even filled with sand... for now... The repel out the golden Cathedral was awesome and there was only a little bit of green sludge on the pool below. By this time the sky was completely overcast and so we got out of there pretty quick. It rained on us 3 times before we got to the car, but it still was only mildly cold. About 8 we pulled into the big restaurant in Torrey, I don't remember the name of it, but food always tastes good after a long day hiking. The food took a little longer to get then expected and so we didn't get home until 1 AM, but the trip was great overall, I just wish I could spend more time in Escalante.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That looks awesome. Did you wear wetsuits? did you need them? I'd like to do neon this coming weekend.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Thanks for the TR! Neon is awesome!

This is nice!

Question: You see that little hole just above the hole you're rapping through? Is it possible to climb up and rap down through the upper hole? Is there an anchor there?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

WOW!!! You da man........

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    That looks awesome. Did you wear wetsuits? did you need them? I'd like to do neon this coming weekend.
    Three of five of us wore shorty wetsuits. Wetsuits made it not bad at all. The other two did just fine, although we were only in the swimming/repelling part of the canyon for about an hour. The water was not near as cold as we expected and with some dry clothes at the end, it really wasn't a problem. I would guess that the air temp was around 70 and it was overcast.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Question: You see that little hole just above the hole you're rapping through? Is it possible to climb up and rap down through the upper hole? Is there an anchor there?
    I have wondered the same thing about finding a bolt in the upper hole. From the start of the rap that we did, it would be really tricky to get up to that other hole, not impossible I would think, but a lot of exposure. I didn't check it out too close, I was trying to get those without wetsuits through so they would not get any colder.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffchuck2000
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I have wondered the same thing about finding a bolt in the upper hole. From the start of the rap that we did, it would be really tricky to get up to that other hole, not impossible I would think, but a lot of exposure. I didn't check it out too close, I was trying to get those without wetsuits through so they would not get any colder.
    When I did Neon I could see rope pull marks in the rocks at the upper hole and the upper pour-off. (the Golden Cathedral is a triple dry fall. Or a dry fall with two eroded out potholes behind it.) That tells me that someone has raped down them before. I didn't scope out the scrambles to the top of the rappels, I was too scared thinking about the big drop to look around.

James

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    On 4th of July Weekend there was a lot more water than it sounds like there is right now, and supposedly the water was low then-- we were swimming pretty much non-stop from the final drop-in place to the golden cathedral. The air was hot, but the water was cold.

We probably did about 4 times more of Neon canyon than what people typically do and found it to be worth our time. I put on my wetsuit after a couple potholes and we would have been pretty frozen without them.

Eric and Josh and I's full TR (including SF Choprock) can be found here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/22908

I can repost it here if anyone thats not a yahoo member wants to read it.

The climb to get up and into the second hole would be scary and exposed and have major penalty points but i guess people have done it. I've wondered about setting up a simul-rap on it. That would make for some nice pictures.

I'm off to North Wash. Have a good weekend everyone. I know I will