Thread: Hackberry Canyon

Hackberry Canyon

After my failed attempt at the Zion Narrows, I'm ready to get out there and try my next misadventure. My friends, a couple of nephews and I are going to do Hackberry Canyon via the Round Valley Draw the weekend of Oct 7-9. Should be fun. I was up late last night uploading waypoints into my GPS. Here is the beta:
    Utah Trails-Hackberry Canyon
    (Also featured in last month's Backpacker magazine.)

Roads out there can be blocked for months because of storms, check current road conditions for Cottonwood Canyon Road here:
    Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Road Conditions

I have only been to that part of the Grand Staircase once before during the Olympics. We tried to do Round Valley but was turned back when it snowed 6 inches the night before. I am excited to get a chance to do it again.

If anyone wants to hang out with some foul mouth people and do a great Southern Utah over-nighter, then please come along. We do not discriminate.

James

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That should be cool. Good luck. Hope everything goes as planned (or better).

Looking forward to a TR when you return. This canyon has been on my to-do list for a long time.

Well we made it. Full TR and pics to come later. Short version is it was a lot longer than I imaged. But more beautiful than I imagined. I am very sore after the 20 mile trek.

James

Everything go well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Everything go well?
    Everything went fine. Good weather, no injuries or incidents. The problem was I vastly underestimated the time it would take me to do the route. Due to a bum leg I hike extremely sloooooow. I usually take time estimates and multiply them by X1.5 to get my times. But this time it took me better than double. As a result we were hiking until 6:30pm yesterday and then had to collect the shuttle, drive back to SLC and then I took my nephew home at the top of Emigration Canyon. Needless to say I am very tired today. But aside from that it was a good trip.

James

Test Post

Still trying to figure out the whole picture thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DickHead
    Very cool looking, any more pics?

I always advocate a person cruise at thier own pace. Getting out of your comfort zone defintely takes the fun out of it.

Whats the bum leg from?

That looks like a really cool slot opening up there. Did you get into it at all?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Finally the TR

Trip Report- Hackberry Canyon

Beta:
    Utah Trails-Hackberry Canyon

Current Road Conditons:
    Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Road Conditions

We were on the road by 3:30 Friday after some traffic and some wandering around for a campsite made it to the trailhead of the Round Valley Draw at 10:00pm. Found a great little place to bed down just up from the Round Valley Seep. Leonard, my nephew Eric and I started out at 10:00am Saturday morning wile Cody and Brad set the shuttle. After a short walk you reach the head of the Round Valley Draw and your greeted with a 15ft downclimb. I have been out of canyoneering practice and feared getting down there and finding worse. While I sat there thinking about what to do a group of three sixty-year-old men from Vermont came by with there tour guide from Bryce Canyon. With a little coaching from their guide the three men made there way down the downclimb. I couldn

more pics

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    Whats the bum leg from?
    A spine injury causes me to walk with a limp.

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    Whats the bum leg from?
    A spine injury causes me to walk with a limp.
    Ouch.

Great pics!

Nice pics man. Thanks. That looks like a cool little canyon to do (even one I could get through)

Sweet canyon! I've heard rumors about Hackberry, and always wondered what it was like. Thnx for the fresh beta!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.