Thread: Wind Rivers Sept '05

Wind Rivers Sept '05

Well, it finally happened, after much anticipation and planning.

We (accadacca, Chivato, KillEmAll, and myself) left Wednesday night (14th), and came back Saturday night (17th). We stayed overnight near the trailhead, and hiked in Thursday. The temperatures were as expected, sometimes a little colder. I think we were equipped good though.

We started at Elkhart Park, followed the Pole Creek Trail for maybe 7 miles (?) and then bushwacked our way after the Sweeney Lakes for a couple of miles.

In general, we think we hiked in maybe 10 miles, 2 of which were pure trailblazing as we searched for a hidden spot. We dropped camp at what we thought was the right spot, but found out we were a mile off!

Friday, we found the original destination, but only had daypacks on. (Good thing, 'cause we were freakin' mountain men with the terrain we were crossing)

We fished about 5 lakes, including some no-names. On saturday, we hiked back up to Middle Sweeney Lake, to give us a better location to hike out of in case the snow storm hit... and it did hit. We ended up staying just part of the day at Middle Sweeney Lake, and hiked out after the SECOND snow storm passed.

The trip didn't go as planned, but we still had a great time , and know exactly what to plan for next time.

I won't bore you with a lot of reading, so be sure to read the captions on each picture for further detail
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Trail conditions...

They were alright for the most part. Much like the Uintas. I hate stepping around rocks though, it takes a lot of my energy.

We would pass ice puddles as well, and a few muddy spots.

The first lake that we see is Miller Lake, also the first one we fish at.

We only fished for maybe half an hour. We still had some hiking to do.

Lakes Lakes Lakes.

I'll let accadacca tell you his fish story.

His fish smothers mine!

OK, here's the last of my pics.

I will add a few. Sorry if they are duplicates......Sombeech pretty much covered it. Anyhow..........I will also tell my fish story in the fishing section.

DickHead
    Damn that's awesome.
    Just freaking awesome.
    Someone should have kept the rack

That is the right camp site. Glad to see you guys found it.

Quote Originally Posted by McGillagorilla
    That is the right camp site. Glad to see you guys found it.
    Cool. Yeah, that looked like a great spot.

By the way, welcome to the site, McGillagorilla! You'll have to come with us next time. (We won't give away the location so it won't get crowded) Even if they knew where it was, good luck getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    Someone should have kept the rack
    Yeah, everybody mentions that, and to take the ivories too. Truth is, we were desperate to get rid of any weight we could. You should have seen all the food we burned the last day.

Most excellent writeup! What a trip is must have been. I'm definitely in for next time.

Oh, and NICE FISH!!!!!! Much better than the Uinta minisized trout. That mack must have been a kick in the pants to bring in.

AWESOME!!!!

Holy fish, Batman!!! That fish came out of that little lake? That is amazing. The weather looks pretty good in those photos, minus the white outs!

Glad you guys had a great time! Lots of bushwacking!

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    That mack must have been a kick in the pants to bring in.
    You know what? It wasn't too bad of a fighter. It was just like hauling in a log that swam a bit. It was like "OK, I'm comin' in." It did take 3 of us to throw it on shore though.

I spent the end of the week at work just daydreaming of what I was missing! And here it is! This looks so awsome! Good job reporting too!
    Thanks

No wonder you all were so excited about getting on the trail. I'm trying to think of the right adjective to describe my thoughts after viewing your pics. Only one I can come up with is just "jealous." You kids do what the rest of us day dream about. Veeery nice TR. Beautiful Fish.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Kick-ass trip, and that fish. . . mmm mmm I bet that was delicious. Wind rivers look a lot like central idaho stuff. Great jorb.

Price
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

I just can't believe you took frying pans up. That is crazy...a little heavy duty tin foil and seasonings is all you need and then you just through the tin foil in a trash bag and haul it out. A lot lighter than a frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by buoysniper View Post
    I just can't believe you took frying pans up. That is crazy...a little heavy duty tin foil and seasonings is all you need and then you just through the tin foil in a trash bag and haul it out. A lot lighter than a frying pan.
    Yeah, this was our first time, the second time we learned a little:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...e-July-2006-TR