Thread: Mt. Nebo

Mt. Nebo

For years I have talked about going to hike Nebo and never gotten around to it, I have hiked all the other major peaks in Utah valley multiple times, but never been to Nebo. Well yesterday it was time, come to find out one of my wife's friends has been wanting to hike it for a while too, but never had anyone to go with, so she came along too. We didn't get an early start, I have a 7 am class and so sleeping in days are sacred. About 11 we got to the north peak trailhead. I had seen some info on this route, but not much. After looking at the peak though this seemed like the best alternative. The trail leaves from just north of the monument trailhead and for about a mile and a half just skirts the red dirt basin, it was so pretty, the leaves are just starting to change and there are still a ton of wildflowers out. Until we got past north peak there was only one steep part, and we were up on the main ridge in less than an hour. From there we made our way to the saddle between north peak and Nebo. This must be a pretty used route because the trail was pretty good the whole way. When you come around and look at the peak you can't help but get a little feeling of dispair, the ridgeline looks straight up after the saddle and I head a little bit of murmmuring from the girls, but in another hour from the saddle we were up. You have to go to a smaller peak before the final push to the top, and there is a bit of exposure up the final leg, but the views are so awsome it distracts from how steep the mountain was. Almost 4 hours up, but we did stop a lot and ate a lot of currents on the way up, they were good. The GPS said 4.25 miles from the trialhead, and I havent yet checked the elevation change. It only took 2 and a half hours to get back down, and most of it is too steep to run. The two of us who had hiked timp thought it was a better hike, and all we saw were 2 hunters and four virginians training for Mt. Witney. Since we were half way over the loop already we went down to Nephi, had some pizza and came home. It was an awsome hike, highly reccommended, and hopefully I can do it again soon, it made me want to do the 29 county highspots in utah.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool TR! Thanks for the info. Speaking of high points, I've been eyeing Twin Peaks lately. Have you done that one? Any advice?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Looks like a nice view from the top. Good jorb.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Cool TR! Thanks for the info. Speaking of high points, I've been eyeing Twin Peaks lately. Have you done that one? Any advice?
    Shouldn't this be in the High Peaking Section?

Are you talking about the AF twins? I assume you are since you said high points. I did it back in 2001. We came up from white pine drainage, not a route I would recommend unless you want to spend a night in the upper parts of white pine.

For the best backcountry route rally your 4X4 or quad up Mary Ellen gulch in upper American Fork canyon. Or if you don't have the means or will to off road (it

Yeah, I guess I should have realized that this could go in the high peaking section, This hike actually inspired us to do the 26 highest peaks. When I found a list and printed them out I discovered that I have been to 3 already, Kings, Twin Peaks and Nebo, but I have been within hiking distance of about 12 others, just never knew they were the high points of their counties. I will post how we got to twins in that section. Yeah the Nebo hike was awsome, I would reccomend it to anyone!