Thread: Question from the non-expert fisherman

Question from the non-expert fisherman

Okay, I mostly have fished with bait in my lifetime--ocassionally with spinners. I learned fly fishing a couple of years ago, then while casting, the tip of my fly rod flew into the Gunnison River in Colorado and I've never replaced it. Anyway, I've been mostly a fly by the seat of the pants kind of fisherman my entire life, but I'd like to know this--when fishing with a spinner, is it best to use a swivel, then a couple of feet of line and then the spinner? Or is it best to tie the spinner on with no swivel? Or how would you suggest that I haven't asked about?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, coming from a non-expert, the way i like to tie my spinners is just the way you mentioned, but with a small weight attached, so that it stays just a foot or so under the surface of the water.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Well, coming from a non-expert, the way i like to tie my spinners is just the way you mentioned, but with a small weight attached, so that it stays just a foot or so under the surface of the water.
    So do you use a swivel? And where do you attache the weight?

DickHead
    For me, the best way to use a spinner (Ie, roostertail) is to tie it directly to the line with a fishermans knot. If you need extra weight because its a small spinner, tie a square knot in the line above the -spinner (about 12"-18" up), and place the appropriate split shots above the knot. This keeps them from slipping down.
    The problem with attaching a swivel is that it will allow the spinner to spin on its axis. This reduces the action and effectiveness of it. Also, this means you've added two more knots to the equation: One for the swivel, one for the leader loop. In my experience (I've been an avid fisherman since I was about 6, fishing salt water and freshwater), knots are the biggest weakness. I've caught large fish (Cobia, Redfish, Snapper, Largemouth Bass, Stripers) on lures tied directly to 8lb line.

A trout, spinner, and 4lb line is a recipe for a good time.

DickHead
    Oh, yea:
    My favorite roostertail is a brown bodied one with a gold blade. Kicks butt with Rainbow's and Browns.
    Panter Martins rock, too.

Thanks--I've fished a lot and usually catch a lot of fish--but I never actually know the accepted methods for fishing various kinds of artificials like lures, plugs, spinners etc. Thanks for the good tip on adding weight with the use of a square knot. With those lightweight spinners I always have a difficult time getting them out very far in the water, and since I mostly fish from shore, that presents a big problem at times. I've always wondered whether or not adding something else to the line besides the spinner itself would scare the fish off. It seem like that hasn't been your experience.

Good info here and I will just add a little. It really depends on what your using exactly. I use swivels on everything without leader. I really like to use a variety of lures. If I use a swivel hook I can switch and use something else with ease. I prefer using heavy lures that will sink. I also like using rapalas. I use a swivel hook with these as well but it is actually recommended that you don't. I guess I am just lazy.

Try the holographic panther martin spinners. Caught a 20 inch 3lb brown on the logan the other day on one of those.
    I went down to the sporting goods store and got a new rod and reel for my wife.....pretty good trade, don't ya think?

Thanks for the tips. Saturday we were catching grayling on just about anything we threw out there, but the most success seemed to come on inch long wet flies (any black one worked), fished on a spin rod with a bubble.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Lehi
    Try the holographic panther martin spinners. Caught a 20 inch 3lb brown on the logan the other day on one of those.
    Nice!! Did you snap a shot? That's a great fish for the Logan river.