Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans

New Orleans

Has everybody/anybody been keeping up with the flooding in New Orleans (Mississippi as well)? Just horrible stuff I tell ya. It is gonna take a good year or two to get everything back in order. It's like a free-for-all downtown with all the looting and all.

Answer me this, is looting justified for food and clothing when people have little or not access to it at home? After all, aren't all the goods gonna be thrown directly in the garbage anyways?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DickHead

Re: New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    Has everybody/anybody been keeping up with the flooding in New Orleans (Mississippi as well)? Just horrible stuff I tell ya. It is gonna take a good year or two to get everything back in order. It's like a free-for-all downtown with all the looting and all.

Answer me this, is looting justified for food and clothing when people have little or not access to it at home? After all, aren't all the goods gonna be thrown directly in the garbage anyways?
    I say, sort of. If you've got nothing left, and survivial is at stake, then take what you need. Food, water, clothing. However, be prepared to pay the consequences as a looter and thieve.

Taking non-survival related merchandise is unacceptable.

I'm watching a live feed right now of a freeway leading out of Nawlins. Its a steady stream of refugees leaving on foot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not under any circumstances try and take my food or water. I am heavily armed and prepared to defend whats mine. Luckily, we live in the kind of place that doesn't have that densely populated urban type mentality. We don't have millions of people crammed into projects, ghettos and low income apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey

I say, sort of. If you've got nothing left, and survivial is at stake, then take what you need. Food, water, clothing. However, be prepared to pay the consequences as a looter and thieve.

Taking non-survival related merchandise is unacceptable.

I'm watching a live feed right now of a freeway leading out of Nawlins. Its a steady stream of refugees leaving on foot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not under any circumstances try and take my food or water. I am heavily armed and prepared to defend whats mine. Luckily, we live in the kind of place that doesn't have that densely populated urban type mentality. We don't have millions of people crammed into projects, ghettos and low income apartments.

Sad stuff. Some people have no idea where their families are, if they are even alive. I agree with you about people taking non-survival related merchandise. Quite a few are robbing jewelry stores and the like. Like I said before, gonna take a looooooong time to dry those rugs!

Ya know, I am surprised that those levies are not even larger and more robust than they already are. I am taking built higher, and of pure rock/concrete, instead of an earthen dam. Not ridiculously high, but higher indeed. Also, you would assume that the facilities that manage the levies would have large blocks of something to put into a levie break such as this. Normally, it seems like this would be planned for, especially if a hurricane was headed straight for you.
    ~Jason

Superriffic S*

Ya know, I am surprised that those levies are not even larger and more robust than they already are. I am taking built higher, and of pure rock/concrete, instead of an earthen dam. Not ridiculously high, but higher indeed. Also, you would assume that the facilities that manage the levies would have large blocks of something to put into a levie break such as this. Normally, it seems like this would be planned for, especially if a hurricane was headed straight for you.
    I was watching Brit Hume last night on Fox News and he had some experts on the show. They were all talking about how the levee's that failed were only ever supposed to support a class three (3) Hurricane. The city planners had talked about upgrading the levee's for years to a class five (5) but never could justify spending the money.

Also, don't you think it odd that there were so many people still there in the city when the hurricane hit? What the hell is Doppler for if you aren't going to pay attention and get the hell out? Especially if you live in a city that is 30 feet below sea level. I would have been hoofin' it if I lived there and didn't have a means to travel any other way. I guess that is my own scardey cat way though. I am afraid of my own shadow sometimes and the thought of being on the coast as a hurricane is approaching... makes my spine quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Superriffic S*
    I was watching Brit Hume last night on Fox News and he had some experts on the show. They were all talking about how the levee's that failed were only ever supposed to support a class three (3) Hurricane. The city planners had talked about upgrading the levee's for years to a class five (5) but never could justify spending the money.

Also, don't you think it odd that there were so many people still there in the city when the hurricane hit? What the hell is Doppler for if you aren't going to pay attention and get the hell out? Especially if you live in a city that is 30 feet below sea level. I would have been hoofin' it if I lived there and didn't have a means to travel any other way. I guess that is my own scardey cat way though. I am afraid of my own shadow sometimes and the thought of being on the coast as a hurricane is approaching... makes my spine quiver.
    I know, those people should have been long gone. I guess it is their right to stay, however unwise that decision may be. I wonder if this is justification enough to build a better bathtub (as in how New Orleans sits below a river and a lake)??? You may say "hell ya," but many towns on the Mississippi failed to make the necessary improvements (increasing levee size) because they believed it took away from the character of their towns. Yeah, so lets just keep using our tax dollars to bail them out each time it floods.
    ~Jason

Crikey, every article I read tell about the situation getting worse and worse. They are living in pure chaos. I cannot even fathom this.

[quote][i]
    Zuschlag added that when another evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner overnight, the pilot reported that 100 people were on the landing pad, and some of them had guns.

Never build a city below sea level, on the coast. If you can't stop that, you can still choose to NOT live there.

The Netherlands are going to get screwed some day.

Call 908-0680 or 877-908-0680 to donate to the Red Cross.

If you haven't donated give them a call, it's quick and easy, I've called twice.

I was contemplating donating until I saw a few video's on MSN and CNN, after one video I had to call. These people need our help!

Superriffic S*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Never build a city below sea level, on the coast. If you can't stop that, you can still choose to NOT live there.

The Netherlands are going to get screwed some day.
    Here, Here!!!

How does that song go... the wise man built his house upon the... what? I don't think it was water.

I think God is chastising them for all of the drugs, debauchery and wanton naughtiness that happens during Mardi Gras.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Superriffic S*
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I think God is chastising them for all of the drugs, debauchery and wanton naughtiness that happens during Mardi Gras.
    Yep... and I think Vegas is next in line.

DickHead
    Who is this mythical being you speak of?

Here, hold this lightning rod for a sec, and I'm gonna run over here and hide under this rubber coated bomb shelter...

RG, now tell us how you really feel!

I don't know you well enough yet or your humor, so is that how you feel or are you joking?

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    I don't know you well enough yet or your humor, so is that how you feel or are you joking?
    I thought by including these: , that you would know I was joking!

Always take my posts with a grain of salt...I'm rarely serious.

OK, phew!

...I'm rarely serious
    Sounds like my husband!

A lady at my work has a house in New Orleans, and one in Biloxi, that she owns and rents out. She doesn't know the condition of either of them, or the tenants that inhabit them.

I know everybody always asks why this wasn't done, and why that wasn't done, after a disaster strikes, but I really firmly believe (as I stated before) that if your city sits resides in a depression, sided by lakes and rivers on each side, and continues to sink each year, make damn sure that you have the best protection necessary in putting up levees and damns, because although the money spent to upgrade them will be high, it sure as hell beats what is going on now. Now it is gonna cost 50+ billion to fix it all after everything is over.

Here's a two questions for all:

If you choose to stay behind after a major disaster warning (such as a hurricane) and are given ample opportunity to evacuate, should anybody be held responsible to save your ass? Kinda like if you hike into the rocky mtns, get lost, and call for help, what about that? I'm just talking about personal responsibility is all. Not some elderly people who can't evacuate without help, or help themselves.

If you think so, then can the people who stayed behind be held responsible for breaking into stores when they had opportunites to buy goods, or evacuate earlier?
    ~Jason

DickHead
    Here, hold this lightning rod for a sec, and I'm gonna run over here and hide under this rubber coated bomb shelter...
    Your mythical god means nothing to me.

Here's a two questions for all:

If you choose to stay behind after a major disaster warning (such as a hurricane) and are given ample opportunity to evacuate, should anybody be held responsible to save your ass? Kinda like if you hike into the rocky mtns, get lost, and call for help, what about that? I'm just talking about personal responsibility is all. Not some elderly people who can't evacuate without help, or help themselves.

If you think so, then can the people who stayed behind be held responsible for breaking into stores when they had opportunites to buy goods, or evacuate earlier?
    Ya, I agree. I think if you're gonna thumb your nose at the warning call, you should be prepared to provide the necessities of life to yourself and your own when your city is leveled. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. How is it the President's fault, or Congress' fault, or the National Guards' fault for what happened to New Orleans?! How is it now the Federal Gov't's (and therefore the taxpayer's) responsibility to provide food, water and shelter to the stranded citizens of New Orleans, when they themselves CHOSE to ignore the warnings to get out!!!!!!