Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moab Slickrock bike trail

Moab Slickrock bike trail

Well, somebody's got to post about it. This is arguably the most famous mtn bike trail in the world, and we've got to put some pictures up about it.

Here's a couple of mine. Show us your Slickrock pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We did this trail last year and for us it wasn't that fun. It was hot, and it seemed like the trail went super steep up or super steep down. When we finished, we were just glad made it and didn't get hurt. We did more walking that I prefer when it comes to riding.

How have other people's experiences been with this trail?

Eddy

That sucks man. I've done it a couple of times, and I enjoyed it.

The time of day/year can have a big effect on the experience. I usually hit it in the Spring.

It's been a few years, but I think it's 13 miles round trip? If you've got the right tires for slickrock, that can make a big difference. I did some walking too, on the steep climbs, but I enjoyed it.

This is my favorite trail of all time. I Rode it the first time in 1991 with a no suspension Diamondback Sorento. I probably rode Slickrock with that bike 20 times in seven years(I can't believe that bike didn't rattle apart), since then I have been to moab a few times every year (last weekend was the latest) and almost always make time for slickrock. I have taken the trail many times on a dirtbike as well but I still love to pedal it!

I hit this trail every year in April & the weather is absolutely perfect each time. My best ride on Slickrock was when I had slicks on my bike. The ride was super smooth & the tires stuck to the rock like glue on the climbs.

The full size topo & elevation profile is here: http://www.mikepearce.us/Moab_05/large/slickrock.gif
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    Someone managed to run over a lizard
    Poor bastage......

Awesome! Great photos! You know I've never ridden in Moab? Maybe for Thanksgiving...

Ok I have to ask. How do you ride in a cotton Tshrit and jeans shorts? I mean, don't you get drenched with sweat and jeans, they have to be uncomfortable! I'm not saying you need to wear full on spandex lycra, but there are better sweat wicking-athletic materials out there, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    Ok I have to ask. How do you ride in a cotton Tshrit and jeans shorts? I mean, don't you get drenched with sweat and jeans, they have to be uncomfortable! I'm not saying you need to wear full on spandex lycra, but there are better sweat wicking-athletic materials out there, no?
    I think that may have been the maiden voyage of the Klein and Sombeech. Plus we are old school. When I started riding this is what you wore. Isn't vintage coming back in style anyway. Who are those skinny guys.........

Yeah, denim shorts & t-shirts were all the rage down there back in the day. I must confess that my first ride on Slickrock was like that, and on a steel clunker to boot, that was back in 94. I'm glad mtn biking apparel & rides have come of age.

Sombeech posted a pic of that little half pipe like section just below where the trail splits into the loop -- that's one of my favorite sections of the trail. There's so much of it that's good though. There are about a dozen climbs I love to go all out on. Testosterone Hill is one of those. It's the last steep climb before you enter that half pipe area. It's hard to single stuff out though when so much of it is good riding.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    Yeah, denim shorts & t-shirts were all the rage down there back in the day. I must confess that my first ride on Slickrock was like that, and on a steel clunker to boot, that was back in 94. I'm glad mtn biking apparel & rides have come of age.
    I'm not huge into mountain biking, but that's still my choice of clothing, and my bike's not much better (a 10-year old Mtn Tek Traverse). Sounds as though if I went to Moab now, I'd get laughed off the trail. That's also why you'll probably never see me doing a group ride with PASS, for example. What do you guys wear those helmet things for anyway?

You'll see guys wearing the whole gamut of clothing down in Moab, so I wouldn't hesitate to wear whatever your most comfortable riding in if you do go. I personally can't stomach the retail prices on bike clothing, and I wouldn't own a single piece of it if I couldn't get a deal through work, and even then half the stuff I wear wasn't designed for riding, but it works for me. I was just saying before that I'm glad there's more comfortable & advanced fabrics out there than cotton to ride in nowadays.
    Mike

I like my wicky wicky clothes. Padded shorts are a must for me. I only own 2 bike shorts and 2 bike shirts; they are pricey, but I look for deals. I scoff at paying $30 for a pair of jeans, but for bike shorts that's a deal to me!

I don't think I could go back to Tshirts and shorts for biking or hiking!

I don't wear denim any more. That was back when I was starting out, and I thought I could use some "protection". I'll just wear gym shorts now.

As for the cotton tees, I love 'em. Yeah, I get drenched, but it sure keeps me cool.

I have a love/hate relationship with Slickrock. I mostly love it, but always feel like it's just plain a lot of WORK!! It's definately not a cushy little cruiser ride. What I really love about it is that you quickly learn that you can ride stuff you never thought was possible! It's pretty cool.

The first time I rode it was the second time I used clipless pedals!! I had a pretty classic crash - riding up a steep and I stalled, you know, not enough power to keep going... well, I couldnt unclip fast enough, and fell over backward and tumbled down the hill - bike and all - and landed right in a patch of cactus - adding insult to injury! haha!! That was great!!

The picture I posted on the general forum - "Posting pics" thread was taken there - I'll post a couple more when I get to my home computer.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Ok, I guess it's my turn. These are from May - 2005. I just had to add the Arches rock formation because I think it is hilarious!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I have a love/hate relationship with Slickrock.
    I think we all have a story like that with slick rock. It can be technical and in many sections you really have to stay on your toes. Being clipped in doesn't help the equation. Makes for some good stories tho.....

Great picture. It's one of those that people think is "photoshopped" or fabricated, but I've seen that rock too.

I was driving, and yes that's in Arches Ntl Pk, and my friend turns around and says, "OMG, that rock back there looked like a giant pe*is!!"

Pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger
    The first time I rode it was the second time I used clipless pedals!! I had a pretty classic crash
    Yeah, me too. I was climbing, but actually spun out. I slid down the hill on my side, elbow, and knee. The bike stayed safe though.

OK, here are a few pics:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Hey, is that a Klein?