Thread: Canoeing the Tetons

Canoeing the Tetons

Hey all, just got back from canoe camping in Grand Teton NP. What a great, relaxing, fun trip! Nothing to do but eat, sleep, canoe and relax in no particular order.

We put in at String Lake and canoed up to Leigh Lake (includes a 100 yd portage). We were able to get a backcountry campsite for 2 nights (included in the fee!), we were lucky because these are first come first serve; unless you have some foresight you can reserve sites before May 15 for a fee. It took 1.5 hours to canoe both lakes, get to camp, including the portage.

We drove up the night before and stayed near Granite Hot Springs, a free hot spring pool with deck up in the mountains, near Hoback Junction.

Here's some photos. The people next to us said they had a bear in camp. But we didn't see any however. If you want to do this trip and need some suggestions, PM me!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

One word to describe that.....BEAUTIFUL. Rockgremlin will have to take some notes of your picture taking. Great shots.......amazing.

Wow, LOVED the two B & W, and your "clear water" shot. that water looks like heaven! I grew up on the water in Northern Michigan so that brings me back home..

We stopped in Jackson for a day on our honeymoon a few weeks ago and I can't wait to get back. A canoe or kayak trip like yours sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    Wow, LOVED the two B & W, and your "clear water" shot. that water looks like heaven! I grew up on the water in Northern Michigan so that brings me back home..

We stopped in Jackson for a day on our honeymoon a few weeks ago and I can't wait to get back. A canoe or kayak trip like yours sounds fun!
    MTNBIKER:

I sent you a PM about your post.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Gorgeous! That is DEFINATELY a trip I"d like to do. The Tetons are one of my favorite places on earth. I had the good fortune to climb to the top of the Grand back in '97, the experience still lingers in my soul, and probably always will.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I bet that was an awesome trip. I love the Tetons, especially right where you where. I think I've hiked jenny lake before...don't remember for sure though. If it was Jenny Lake then we saw a bear on the trail, it came within about 15 feet of us...pretty cool experience.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Wow, I don't know why I haven't commented on this post yet!

I must have previously seen it while at work, and didn't have time to post.

But I must say, great pics. We actually tried to go up paintbrush canyon one year. Or was it down? Can't remember. I remember planning around Leigh Lake, and Jenny Lake. We were going to do a loop which included Lake Solitude.

I would still love to go up there. The Wind Rivers were close, but they ain't no Tetons!

Thanks again for the trip report.