Thread: Loaded for BEAR and headed to the SWELL

Loaded for BEAR and headed to the SWELL

I CANT wait.........rockgremlin is taking us on one of his canyoneering rendezvous. Myself, DaveOU812 (my bro), and Fourtycal are heading out tonight. Followed by rockgremlin and Kyrell later tonight. We are doing the Upper Chute canyon. I am stoked.........
    This is a very scenic canyon and I should have some SWEET pictures to upload when I get back. The trip was thrown together quickly for my bro. DaveOU812 is headed back to Iraq for a second tour in a week or so. Everyone wish him well. He can be the uutah.com correspondent.

Canyon info: http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/upchute.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Superriffic S*
    Rockgremlin and Kyrell can kiss my gritts! Everytime those guys "throw" a canyon together just happens to be when I have something else going on: like my sisters wedding, or a reunion with girlfriends that I haven't seen in close to 10 years!!!

I understand the importance of going on this trip before your brother leaves for Iraq and I wish him the best (reallly I do) but, why couldn't it wait until NEXT weekend, when I don't have ANYTHING PLANNED!!! (see the universe revolving around me at the moment)

I haven't done a canyon yet this season and I am getting pretty perturbed about it (if you hadn't noticed)!

So, enjoy Upper Chute canyon... I hope you guys have a BALL of a time!

Tell your long lost friends to kiss your grits and come with us. What have those friends done for you in the last 10 years?!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Superriffic S*
    So, enjoy Upper Chute canyon... I hope you guys have a BALL of a time!
    Uhhhhh......The gym thing and then this. Bad week? So are you saying we can do a different canyon next weekend? J/K Hey it was a last minute deal and my bro might be out of the country by next weekend. You could take out your frustrations at the gym. Your friends don't want to see him, just you. Even though he is an international DJ.....

Superriffic S*
    Oh, if only we all could give our respective friends the finger and feel fine about it! I have had this night planned for almost 2 months and I would be a real s$!thead if I cancelled on them. We were the four top, what kindof reunion would it be if there wasn't a fourth in the four top?!?!

And, besides... I think we are talking about doing music canyon next weekend anyway. So, I don't need your stinking Upper Chute canyon fix!

S*

btw... that International DJ has got a great A$$!

I wish I could go, but by popular request, I'm heading back up to Lava Hot Springs to do some more tubing.

Also, I'll get some cool pictures of us doing backflips off of those high dives.

Accadacca

I know where your coming from, trying to put something together before you "Bro" leaves for Iraq. I've sent three of my four kids, and the one that hasn't been is going in Oct. Well, my oldest daughters marine husband went, she didn't. Scary thoughts the whole time they are gone. Child 4, Jessica 5'4 Reservist, now on a mission, spent thirteen months.

We did the Bell/Little Wild Horse loop and enjoyed it. Someone mentioned doing Ding an Dang canyons or the Chute & Crack Canyons. Other than time involved what kind of challenge is the Chute. Where can I go to learn more about canyon ratings? Don't want to get in & over my head.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Life Sucks When Making a Living Gets In The Way Of Living!

Any Canyoneering suggestions for the "elderly" that doesn't involve a lot of rope? Something that can be done in one day round trip w/o shuttling. I did find some ratings at Tom's Utah Canyoneering web site, thanks for the link.

Hmmm.....Wind. Shane's site is also a good tool. www.climb-utah.com. As for the weekend warrior type of slot canyons. I know that little wild horse is any easy one and requires no ropes. Crack canyon looks doable? Ding and Dang is a bit more difficult, but can be done with no ropes. Looks at our pictures and decide for yourself. http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649

Rockgremlin will chime in with other comments. He is the resident expert on here and may know of some other good slots that are less technical? I am just getting into this sport and this was my 3rd slot.

Thanks,

We did LWH & Bell last fall. Went up Bell and only met one other couple, but half way down LWH it was like being at the shopping mall, people every where. Never, Never go on a holiday weekend. I think we've got our sights on a two day trip and do LWH again and then Ding/Dang.

We took the blk lab on the LWH/Bell loop, but after reading "Trip Report, Ding & Dang," and viewing the photos, I believe we'll leave her home this go around. Hate to do that, anyone know where we can purchase a harness that would help us pull up and lower a dog. Choker chains just don't work, ever seen a black dog turn blue?? (Not really) I like the old bit.h, she's my friend and in dog years she's older than I am.

You could go up Ding, then return down Ding again (not doing Dang, since it is the more technical of the two). Crack canyon is also a good stroll.

Tom and Shane's sites have plenty of suggestions for easy canyon hikes.

I agree with the advise against doing LWH on a holiday weekend. It's ridiculous! You may as well go to Disneyland - you'd see just as many people! It's kind of a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    You could go up Ding, then return down Ding again (not doing Dang, since it is the more technical of the two). Crack canyon is also a good stroll.
    Is Crack canyon dog friendly?? I mean if we did OK with her in LWH/Bell will we do OK in Crack?? FYI, for my dog in areas that are well traveled I may not do the poop and scoop, but I do the SSS, Sh.t, Shovel, Shutup. It bothers me to no end when someone doesn't take a moment and clean up after their critters when they know some one else will see, smell, or step in it.

Thanks

Pretty sure Crack is dog-friendly -- especially for someone as concientious as you.