Thread: Lower Price River

Lower Price River

Has anybody here ridden this trail?

http://castlecountry.com/what_to_do/..._woodside.html

I've got plans to place a geocache near the confluence of the Price and Green rivers, on the west side of the Green, but I'm a little wary about a 30+ mile ride in and out of there. According to the topo map, the trail crosses the Price River about 15 times, and that's the part that's got me most worried. Honestly, I'm not much of a mountain bike rider, but since there's very little elevation gain/loss (about 400 feet), it doesn't seem so bad except for the river crossings.

If I end up going on this ride, I'll definitely post a trip report with LOTS of pictures. This picture alone, that I grabbed from the BLM's website, has got me really looking forward to this ride:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This sounds awsome, since it is called a road it makes me wonder how far you could "Toyota" in packing the bikes in the back to save some hours of riding, I also wonder if it is dirtbike or atv compatable. Let us know how it goes, I would like to hunt that cache!

I've actually been part of the way down the road before, and I got to within 12.7 miles of the Green River before I couldn't go any further in my 2-wheel drive Mazda Navajo. There was also a newer Ford Explorer parked at that point, apparently they didn't want to go further either.

The trail beyond that point looked somewhat well-travelled by ATVs, but I don't know how far the ATV trail went beyond there.

Unfortunately, I won't even be able to get that far now, 'cause the truck I own now is an extended cab long bed, and the boulders I had to weave in and out of in my Mazda would definitely keep me from bringing my new truck there. I could probably get to within 13.5 miles, though.

Huh? Looks interesting. Yeah usually when I go that far I am able to twist my hand-grip. My mt. bike is for short range..........that looks awesome though. I am sure fuzzy will chime in, he may have been on that trail or has heard about it? So fuzz whaz the scoop........

I've been wanting to try that ride for a long time, especially when I lived in Price for a while 8 years ago, but I never got around to getting a couple guys together to do it. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes & seeing pictures if you do go ahead with it.
    Mike

Re: Lower Price River

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    Has anybody here ridden this trail?

http://castlecountry.com/what_to_do/..._woodside.html

I've got plans to place a geocache near the confluence of the Price and Green rivers, on the west side of the Green ...
    DUDE!!!

Coming in from the Woodside end kind-of sucks. Long, boring, hot dirt road.

The better way would be to take Long street north out of Green River and ride north along the Green to the confluence. It's an amazing Intermediate ride along massive cliffs and Indian art, and there's a stone grain-storage hut I've been told is 500+ years old. It's not gnarly-technical but can be a challenge for the beginner in spots.

If you stop in Price and come into the shop (77 east main) I'll show you maps and whatnot. See ya.
    SCREW SEA OTTER!!!!!!! http://FuzzysBicycleworks.com

Fuzzy, I assume from your description that you actually did this ride. It looks like there's a lot of private property along the southern part of the trail, and I was just wondering if access was a problem for you. You were talking about the west side of the Green River, right?

I'm planning on doing this ride on Saturday, and just want to make sure I won't have any problems before I head out. Also, you workin' tomorrow? I probably need to get a spare tube and repair kit for my bike before I attempt this ride, plus a few other things.

YUP!!

I'll be in-shop Friday, but I'm leading the Idiotic ride for the Helper Arts Fest' Moutnainbike fest' on Saturday.

I attempted to get to the trail that runs along the west side of the Green River from Long Street, but it's private property all through there, and the road was gated. Instead, we just drove up the east side of the river, then stopped the truck short of our destination and did a 9 mile round trip on our bikes. It was nothing special (not worth a trip report), but since it was new territory for me, I enjoyed myself.

I plan on someday doing the Lower Price River trail from Woodside to the Green River, but I learned today that I'm not yet in that kind of shape. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    I attempted to get to the trail that runs along the west side of the Green River from Long Street, but it's private property all through there, and the road was gated. :)
    DUDE!

I have it from (I assume) reliable sources that it's all BLM along there, and the gate's there for cattle; just close it behind you. We always park outside the gate and go from there, but some ride the road from RAY'S all the way up.