Thread: Garfield Basin (High Uinta's)

Garfield Basin (High Uinta's)

The 2-hour drive past Duchesne was filled with big talk and fish stories that hadn
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice write up shling! You guys really slayed them. What an epic trip! One that you and your friends will remember for a long time. Your fishing success was phenomenal and unmatched. Looks like an excellent area. That's what makes the uintas so great. It is off the beaten path. You don't get the typical crowds that want to drive to everything. So that makes the fishing pressure just right for success. The fish will almost bite anything in those conditions. It is difficult to explain that to some people. If they will just take the effort to get in there, it will be well worth their time. I cant remember if you mentioned. But did you encounter any other people on the trails? You know you could be on Doug Miller with that trip .
    Nice work!!! High fives all around!!!

Re: TR: Garfield Basin (High Uinta's)

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    Somehow, we were all going to be on Doug Miller Outdoors for our successes.

Dude, that's one of the best trip reports I've ever read. Excellent work, with the pictures to match.

Thanks a lot.

Gosh. Thanks guys.

The fishing was better than we dreamed. Between the 8 of us, we landed over 1130 fish in 3 days. Overall, we hiked 55 miles; 23 of which were w/ the packs (in & out) the rest was between lakes.

We did see two other groups. One was camped at either Swasey Lake or Spider, but we only saw them one day. We saw another group w/ 8-10 horses camped at Gem but they seemed to stay there. We basically had Five Point, Tungsten, North Star, Doll, Drift and the Superiors to ourselves.

The Forest Ranger stopped at our camp to issue tickets for things we were doing wrong, but we got off w/ a warning. We were camped too close to a trail and the lake (you have to be 200 feet away from each) but we didn't know this. He also didn't like the table we fashioned out of pine branches & rope. He was cool enough though, just told us to pack otu what we packed in, clean up camp and destroy the fire ring when we left. At least we know for next time.

It's been 15 years since I was up there last and it was even better than I imagined. I can't wait til next year.

clean up camp and destroy the fire ring when we left. At least we know for next time.
    So it's official. You can have a fire again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    clean up camp and destroy the fire ring when we left. At least we know for next time.
    So it's official. You can have a fire again?
    He said that they are trying to pass a rule that says that if you have a fire, you need to be 1/4 mile away from trail/lake/river. It's not passed yet, but he (the ranger) thinks it will be soon.

There was water & snow everywhere up there still. I even passed one pond that was still 1/2 frozen over.

Also: deer like pistacio & chocolate pudding and rice.

Admin: thanks for re-sizing/hosting my pics. Sorry about the big pics.

I keep looking at those photos. You killed it on the fish! Once again, well done.

Look at those blue skies!!