Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What type of GPS do you have?

I started with the Etrex, then had the Etrex Ledgend, and for the past 4 years ish I've had the etrex Vista, its been awesome for me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i have a garmin gps III I got back in 2001 when i started...I am old school, lol

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'm still using my eTrex Legend. Takes a massive beating and keeps working.

I lost it at a cache hide in the 5Mile area for 2 days.. Got snowed on, wind-blown. When found, it was still powered on and functional!

Considering its usually attached to my quad, it continues to function just as I need it to.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

i've had my magellan Triton 400 for a few weeks now. and works perfectly. i haven't had one problem dispite all the horror stories.

it's color, water resistaint, and has SD card.

got it from newegg for $185 with shipping.

i've taken it on two road trips and a few geocaches and worked perfectly. like it should.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend C.

My only gripe with it has been the rubber gasket around the exterior edges coming lose after about 18 months of use. Heat seems to make the problem worse.

Other than that, it's an excellent GPS and I've been quite pleased with its performance.
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70
    My only gripe with it has been the rubber gasket around the exterior edges coming lose after about 18 months of use. Heat seems to make the problem worse.
    That happened on my eTrex Legend, and eventually the gasket tore at the flap that covers the USB port, which basically rendered the whole unit useless (because the buttons are integrated into the gasket). I replaced it with a GPS 60 and have been loving it!

had a garmin rino 530, regretted selling it the day i did :(

Originally a Magellan but it was broken out of the package (returned it)
    now a garmin Etrex Legend LOVE IT

I just got a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. My old GPS 60 was having intermittent issues where it would turn off whenever it got jostled around too much--even sometimes when simply clipping it into the belt clip or windshield mount. I love the 60CSx so far, though I have yet to add any street or topo maps, and it should be much better after that. I'm still planning on using the GPS 60 as a backup, and my wife now uses it on ATV rides so that she and I both have the same waypoints and she can now take the lead without having to ask me which way to go.
    Blog | FB

Garmin Edge 705 with Heart Rate etc....and LOVE it for biking. Also use it successfully for biking and finding places while driving.

The only real extensive use I'd had with it is the biking though, which is what it is built for.

Probably someone said this already, but I'm in love with my Garmin eTrex Legend. I've been geo-caching for a few years, and this one rules!

Has anyone tried using an iphone ap for geocaching? I just tried it this weekend - have loved my above mentioned cTrex Legend-and was positive the ap would be faulty. I was wrong. I'm still loyal to my Garmin, but the ap did just fine!

I use an old Garmin eTrex. Once I figured out how to manually get coords into it, it works well for geocaching. The drawback is the old hardware that can lose satellites when under trees - plus it's pretty slow to grab the satellites. Still, it's durable and accurate.
    Cheers,
    Pathfinder

I have a Magellan SporTrak. I have had it for a few years. I have used it to navigate in Escalante, and in Oregon backpacking as well. It even helped us route find in Denali. It is not the fanciest GPS out there, but it has got me to the spot every time I have used it. I would like to get a better one, but I still live by being able to read a map out there, electronics do fail. So upgrading has really not been on the top of my priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by coach steve View Post
    I am on my third GPS unit, and won't buy another until this one completely gives out. I currently have a Garmin 60CSx, and it is the easiest to use and carry out there. I have kept signal in slot canyons and deep timber where my other two units would completely lose it. It lights up right out of the box and has you on your way. Currently $375 to $399.
    It usually boils down to which brand you start out with and learn how to use. I have owned both Magellen and Garmin and I will never go back to the "M".
    I am not a Geocacher but am an avid wilderness explorer. I started with a magellan 15 years ago and finally it stopped recieving signal altogether. It seemed to work fine just never locked on to a location just kept searching for signal so I called their customer support. I was told that it was a "legend" model and they turned off the signal(?!) that it would no longer pick up their newest signals and was informed I could trade in its "value" towards a newer model because of customer loyalty. I told them you just lost my customer loyalty permantently and I switched to Garmin. I didn't expect an expensive product like this to become obsolete and require replacement without any info whatsoever from the company before hand. I was irrate.
    I bought a Garmin 60csx. I was completely in the dark on how crappy the magellan product was until I switched. Garmin is light years farther along in building a great product. I bought a NAt Geo topo chip for Utah and have loved Garmin ever since. I sorta wish I had investigated the Garmin Rhino because of its radio/walkitalkies type features but it was slightly out of budget at the time. I am well pleased with my 60csx and would never replace it until it completely dies or something really surpasses it in every concievable way comes out to render the 60 as a back up as a backup.
    Side note: the company I work for has several road type GPS navigations in their vehicles including TOM TOM,Magellan, and Garmin and just like the backcountry gear the Garmins whips the competion hard on the surface streets too.

I've been using an old Garmin eTrex for years. Still works fine although manually entering coordinates is a chore (see this page for all the details on that). As others have noted, it does sometimes lose its signal in canyons and indoors.

I recently got an iPhone 4 that seems to have much better reception. The software is outstanding. I have GroundSpeak's Geocaching app that links right into all the caches on their website so, for example, you can see all the caches near where you are and navigate directly to them - with maps (satellite hybrid). I also have an app called MotionXGPS for general use. It has lots of features. I use Google Earth to determine locations then enter them into the iPhone as waypoints. The waypoints can have real names and be organized in folders. These apps have free versions, but the paid versions are only $9.99 for GroundSpeak and $0.99 for MotionXGPS. I can't yet say how well it will do in the field, but it sure looks promising.

I have the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. Love it. I've had it for a few years now. It's super rugged. I've dropped it off a 15 foot cliff... still works like a charm. Accurate too. And I just use the Garmin software/Maps. I have the CitySelect MicroSD card, and the US TOPO maps on another MicroSD card.