Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of GPS do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by paraAdams
    If you use your GPS a lot, backpacking, geocaching or just using in the car, get the bigger more expensive models...believe me, they're worth it.
    Welcome to the site, man.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Man, I feel like I've been out on sabbatical or something...it's just not right glad to be back - or try to be back anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    Man, I feel like I've been out on sabbatical or something...it's just not right glad to be back - or try to be back anyway!
    Yeah, WTF dude!

Ice that's a cool story man, you should write to Garmin see if they could use your story for some freebies

I use Garmin eTrex Vista C

Need to find City Navigator program now....

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Ice that's a cool story man, you should write to Garmin see if they could use your story for some freebies
    I just sent the story off to Gamin

I have been going to send this story to them for a couple of years and just never got around to it. I'll let ya'll know if anything good shakes out

Of course I never did mention that the OLD yellow eTrex works about 10 times better then the NEW yellow eTrex I bought to use while the first one was lost. Not exactly sure why, but the old one, which was one of the first ones ever built. is a much better GPS. It can get locks easier and is more accurate.

Anyone else have two GPS that are supposed to be identical and find they are not? I could understand if the old beat up GPS was the weak sister, but it's the shiny new one that is the weaker of the two.

Garmin eTrex Vista
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

etrex legend c for me. price1869 has a forerunner and his locks better than mine does when used side by side. wish i would have opted for a device w/ internal compass and removable memory instead of color.

I am on my third GPS unit, and won't buy another until this one completely gives out. I currently have a Garmin 60CSx, and it is the easiest to use and carry out there. I have kept signal in slot canyons and deep timber where my other two units would completely lose it. It lights up right out of the box and has you on your way. Currently $375 to $399.
    It usually boils down to which brand you start out with and learn how to use. I have owned both Magellen and Garmin and I will never go back to the "M".
    Coach Steve

"Not all who wander are lost"

After using both Magellan and Garmin for a while now I have to admit I like the accuracy of the garmin - & the data entry key on the magellan. Garmin wins...gotta get a new unit now...maybe for Xmas

Okay, I've missed most of this post too but for the record I have a Garmin Rino 530 and I love it! The 530 has a radio which broadcasts your signal/location to anybody on your same frequency (usually on another Rino unit), and it receives the national weather broadcast.

I have owned 3 GPS units--one Magellen and 2 Garmins, but I have sold or traded them all for a Garmin 60CSx. It will hold signal when everything else fails. It will lock up satellites in my basement and hold signal in slot canyons and deep tree cover. I just bought my son a unit for $325 with a $50 rebate. If you are going to get into geocaching in a big way, the Geocaching features are hard to beat. One of the best features is the "Find Next" that will give you the next closest cache with just one click. Until something else comes along that will do it better, this is the unit I would recommend.

In the great discussion between Garmin and Magellen, it all boils down to which unit you start with and which makes you the most comfortable. As the Romans used to say, "De gustabus non est disputnadum" or in other words, "There's no arguing abuot taste".
    Coach Steve

"Not all who wander are lost"

I keep hearing great things about the 60csx. RedMan knows a lot about GPS units and he couldn't' recommend it enough. I love my Rino 530, but I really am curious about the 60csx.

I am using a Garmin Vista CSx, It has the same Geocaching features as the 60CSx, I have it loaded up with Topo's and I import 300+ Caches to it at a time! It may not hold a signal as well as the 60, not sure. I used to use Magellan but I had trouble with the exploist 600 and ended up taking it back to the store. The Vista CS is A good unit If you do not want to spend the money for the 60cs....N8
    If you are not living life on the edge.......YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH DAMN SPACE!!!

Time for me to upgrade from my Garmin eTrex Vista to the Garmin 60CSx. I am excited to go and get it
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Is it true that the 60csx has a different antenna then the 60cs? I heard the csx gets reception in slot canyons and is just all around better. I thought the only difference was the external memory?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. Pretty simple GPS, but it does great for hiking and geocaching, so I'm happy. :)

I just bought an Etrex Vista CX this seams to be a nice unit I really Like it so far

I have the Rino 530. It has the "find next" feature and I love the national weather broadcast, and the radio location feature, but I keep hearing all these great things about the 60csx.

I can sell my Rino right now and trade it straight across for a new 60csx but I just can't decide what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    I have the Rino 530. It has the "find next" feature and I love the national weather broadcast, and the radio location feature, but I keep hearing all these great things about the 60csx.

I can sell my Rino right now and trade it straight across for a new 60csx but I just can't decide what to do.
    I had some trouble with my Etrex Vista Cx over the weekend....:( when I plugged in the cig adapter it locked up! I could not even turn it off without pulling the batterys, so I bought a ne adapter, it did the same thing. I deleted all my stuff off and plugged it into the PC to update and....damn locked up again. Garmin tech support sent me a email telling me how to reset the GPS and it didn't help so I said the hell with it, Took it back to Cabelas. I had the unit over 6 months, no box, no receipt....no problem they gave me in-store credit and I laid down a couple hundred more and walked out with a 60CSX!!!!

It got a satellite lock instantly when i turned it on in my HOUSE!!! Garmin has this new technology called "SiRF", It's a high sensitive receiver that is available in 2 of there units only. The GPSMAP 60CSx and the GPS 76CSx. With Garmin units the letters stand for C=Color, S=SiRF, X=expandable memory. I am pretty excited to get out and put this baby to work and I would recommend buying from Cabelas because they will take items back. Kinda nice when the GPS cost $450 and you want to take it up a mountain! Later N8
    If you are not living life on the edge.......YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH DAMN SPACE!!!

Let me know right away what you think of the 60csx. My brother has the 76cs and I know that I don't want that (he does not have csx but cs). His antenna is so bad that he has to have an external antenna added to get a signal. The nice thing about the 76cs is that it floats but I would much rather have the 60csx. I'm so dang jealous of you!