Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of GPS do you have?

What type of GPS do you have?

I've been looking at getting one. What kind of GPS do you guys have, or prefer?

What kind of software?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend, and I love it. I don't really need maps on my GPS (the built-in basemap has been sufficient for the past two years), so I haven't really considered upgrading. The one downside has been that signal loss appears to be more common with this unit than some of the Magellans I've seen. My sister and I went caching together once in a narrow canyon, and while I had no signal, she was tracking a few satellites just fine with her Meridian Gold.

For software, I just use ExpertGPS, and lately Google Earth. I do a lot of pre-planning before any caching trip, and ExpertGPS has been great for planning routes and deciding which caches to go after. It just uses TerraServer topo maps and satellite images, but the interface is what makes it great to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    For software, I just use ExpertGPS, and lately Google Earth. I do a lot of pre-planning before any caching trip, and ExpertGPS has been great for planning routes and deciding which caches to go after. It just uses TerraServer topo maps and satellite images, but the interface is what makes it great to use.
    So, does Google Earth work with these GPS'?

That's pretty cool.

When your sister was getting better "reception", don't they all use the same satellites? Maybe different companies have "rights" to more satellites?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    So, does Google Earth work with these GPS'?

That's pretty cool.

When your sister was getting better "reception", don't they all use the same satellites? Maybe different companies have "rights" to more satellites?
    You have to subscribe to Google Earth Plus in order to get it to work with your GPS, but the plain version will at least open GPX files so you can display waypoints and tracks on the Google maps.

As for the reception, all GPS units have access to the same satellites. I think it's just a matter of how the unit's built and how well the antenna works (both the Legend and the Meridian Gold have internal antennas).

I too have the standard issue Garmin eTrex Legend. Personally I think it provides the most functions and capabilities for the lowest price (usually in the $160 - $180 range). Though I wouldn't mind getting a Garmin GPSMAP 60cs. That unit actually has geocaching features built-in, though it does cost about $530.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy
    I just lost the ability to see, but I can still feel your butt looking at me!

Garmin eTrex Vista, for three years now. Though if I had to do it over again I would have bought a Legend and saved a hundred bucks. I turn off most of the fancy features cause they eat batteries. I have topo but never use it.

Legend

I have the etrex legend. I love it. It has 8mb for downloads. I actually use that quite a bit. Personally I would spend the few extra bucks and get it. It's a nice feature. I've seen them for $140, so it's really not that much more than one that you can't download to.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS. It is an excellant unit designed especially for GeoCachers. You can get them for around $350.

dang...I guess we all have e-trex legend! Even my two brothers and dad have one
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    dang...I guess we all have e-trex legend! Even my two brothers and dad have one
    Looks like the one to get. How much are they going for? You say about 140?

I'm the oddball I guess...I have a Magellan Meridian gold & it's worked great for me. All the magellans basically work the same despite the upgrades every so many years. I don't know enough about garmins to be able to work them yet.

Have Magellans 330 map, Meridian Gold and a Platinum they all have served me well. I down load routes from National Geo Topo and have topo maps down loaded into the Meridians. The nice thing about the Meridian is they use SD cards so you can load a lot of maps depending on how big a card you have in.

I recently sold my eTrex Legend and bought a Garmin GPS 60 to replace it. So far, it's wonderful. It gets much better satellite reception, and it's a lot more user-friendly. I don't think I'd recommend anything in the eTrex series again, not after seeing the difference in reception between them and the 60 series.

I have the etrex Summit and Venture, and used to have the rino 130. I think the rino was the best of these three, but it eats batteries and costs 375+ but if you have a buddy with one on a trip it can be very useful.

I have an eTrex Venrure which is not basemap-capable. I've never used basemaps so I don't miss them.
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Garmin 60C. It's awesome and highly recommend it.

^^ike

I had the Garmin GPS V for a while and loved it. It was great. Now I use the Etrex Vista, and like it too. But it doesn't have as many functions as the GPS V.

I know the GPS 60 is an awesome way to go. In fact that's what I would rather own.

If you use your GPS a lot, backpacking, geocaching or just using in the car, get the bigger more expensive models...believe me, they're worth it.

I also have the Garmin GPS V. Great for on the trail or on the road.

I have a Garmin eTrex. The cheap yellow one. I use Topo! States as my mapping software.

Let me tell you a true story..... I dropped my eTrex in some deep water while canyoneering the Black Hole in 2001.

Black Hole
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/blackhole.htm

I dove down trying to find it but the water was real muddy and over 20' deep. I couldn't find it. So anyhow I posted the story in a forum and about a year later anther canyoneer found my eTrex and sent it back to me. I opened it up and dumped the sand out and cleaned it up the best I could. Put in some new batteries and if fired right up. I was even able to download my tracks and waypoints that were over a year old.

The eTrex had washed down canyon about 2 miles from where I lost it and it was pretty beat up, but it still works and is the GPS I still use.

The Garmin eTrex is tough.

My wife picked up an Etrex - yellow cheap one - for $20...closeout at Wallyworld...anyway, it's pretty accurate as we;ve used it a bunch geocaching. We use both the Magellan and the garmin & we can't miss a cache! I picked up the MapSend Topo 3D for the Magellan and put maps on a card which have -sofar- been pretty accurate. I keep the Magellan in the car mount to track down the area & then both to track down a cache.