Thread: TR -- Donut Falls

TR -- Donut Falls

I headed up big cottonwood canyon last night with my camelbak, fishing pole, and two year old. We decided to hike donut falls and it was a good choice because it was getting late. I got to the parking area and trail head at about 8:15pm. I had to hustle up the trail because I wanted some decent photos before it got to dark. The gate also closes at 10:00pm, so I had that time constraint as well. This is really a quick little hike and I hadn't done it for a few years. But I remembered it being pretty short. It took me about 15 minutes to get to the falls. And that was with a 45 pound motor mouth on my shoulders.

This is a great trail for kids. Really wide and not to rocky. He walked all the way back, just holding my hand on a few steep and rocky sections. He had a blast and we saw two bucks on the way back. Great little trail for an evening hike. It was really nice to get out of the city heat for a few hours. The canyon was really crowded. Although not at donut falls and not traffic on the road. Just cars packed in the parking areas along the canyon road.
    Attached Images Attached Images                 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I didn't bring the pole on the hike. I just threw it in the car just in case. I wasn't sure where we would end up. It was getting late. I was originally going to go up to white pine and fish there. Then hike up to the upper lake and try it. Anyone know what the upper lake is called? I cant remember? Seems like quite the hike from the picture though. How far is it? Anyone?

If you remember the two lakes we saw on top of the crest. It is great to have these awesome canyons so close. I entered the canyon at 8:00pm and still had time for this little hike.

So, is Donut Falls "officially" open again? I remember an article in the Tribune in December about the trail being closed because it ran across private property, but I never saw any followup articles about it.

Yeah I had heard about that too. Rockgremlin told us. Then I heard it was back again? Everything was fine for us?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Anyone know what the upper lake is called? I cant remember? Seems like quite the hike from the picture though. How far is it? Anyone?
    I think it's Red Pine, isn't it? I only remember that as a kid my dad took us on a hike to Red Pine, then we climbed over the ridge to White Pine. It wasn't that bad as I recall.

Shane