Thread: TR -- Paris Ice Cave

TR -- Paris Ice Cave

We don't have a caving section so here goes. Rockgremlin, myself and another friend went to check out this cave on Friday night. I was there over the 4th weekend but didn't have a flashlight. This was really a cool cave. Enjoy the pictures..........

Anyone know the difference between a cave and a cavern? We learned on a tour of minnetonka cave. A few pictures of the other section of the cave. http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Does this cave have ice all year long? Amazing with the hot weather and all. What elevation is it?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Yeah all year. I would guess the temp is around 40 in the cave? Rockgremlin? I would say the cave is around 7000ft?

Yeah, 40 degrees and around 7000+ feet elevation sounds about right.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I'm heading to Bear Lake tonight for the weekend. I plan on hitting this.

About how much time does it take to see the whole thing? Just so I can plan my saturday up there...

Would my Petzl headlamp be sufficient light, or should I have a flashlight also?

And, would my famous Ford Taurus be able to drive up to it? How long of a drive?

It will be a little longer of a drive for you from Garden City. Probably add 15 minutes to get you to Fish Haven where I go from. Then it takes about 15 minutes from there to get to Paris. From there you go about 10 minutes up the canyon. The taurus will be fine and you could do some baja with it.

It doesn't take long to explore the cave. 20 minutes. We went out another way too. (out the big hole and thru a slot to exit). We were actually there at about midnight. So everything looked dark. I would bring a flashlight. I found that my headlamp was not quite bright enough. You will probably kill a couple hours here, including the driving time.

You should also go to minnetonka cave if you are in the area. You will pass thru St. Charles on your way to Paris. Minnetonka is just up St. Charles canyon. It costs $5.00 and is open every day. The tours run every half hour, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. It is about 15 minutes up the canyon from the main highway. You could ride four wheelers up to the Paris Ice Cave. But the Minnetonka road is paved all the way.

Nice article about the cave

These are great! I used to spelunk in Indiana often.

I will have to stop at the Paris Ice Caves now, I've been past there before.

I've go here all the time. It's not much of a caving destination though. There is snow and ice in it all year but near the end of summer not much. Following the little trail takes you through a big passage way into what used to be a big room. The roof collapsed (a very long long time ago), so the cave suddenly opens up. I come here mainly to climb. There's a pretty good mix of stuff ranging from easy 5.5 up to a roof problem I'm working on. The cave continues to the north, drops down and start to head north/west to a smaller room. A smaller passage leads west that ends quickly or another goes east which will take you to a chimney. You can easily access the top of the chimney by walking above the cave to the north. It's fun to rappell down the chimney and the climb out the cave. For sure check out Minetonka cave. It's more like Timp. where its guided and you can't explore but its longer and more beautiful. Again, I go to the Ice cave to climb. If anyone wants some beta :) I'm claiming some FAs simple because I know of no one else that has climbed here or have seen any trace of climbing, so lets keep it that way.

^^ike

We went searching for these caves last week. We hit a snow packed road about mile 8.2 so we didn't see it. June 5, 2006. It's probably clear now since it's warmed up and rained since then.