Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your "must haves" while backpacking? Optio

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yep! That's what it looks like.

Mine's the REI knockoff but it looks and works the same. One nice feature is that the globe section slides down into the base section to protect the globe and reduce the size when packed.

Some of the winter campers here in CO actually use these to heat their tent/snow shelter. It's amazing how warm 35F feels when the wind chill outside is -20F.

Don

Huh? Never used one......great tips. Cheap too!

Jerky. After a few days- all the carb-rich trail foods start to make me nauseous. Jerky is the fix- and it's on-the-trail auction value increases by the hour.
    We love the things we love for what they are
    -Robert Frost

DickHead
    Okay so I've decided to compromise. I'm going to forgo the Tracker for now and buy this asap.
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

And I ordered a new holster
    http://www.kgproducts.com/HANDIBAGS.html

It has two straps, one over the shoulder and one around the waist. I'm stoked.

+1 on the candle lantern, it's on my 'must have' list for cold weather camping. In my tiny Eureka tent, it works as a heater.

Here is the ultra-light .357 I pack, 11 oz. empty, 13 oz. loaded with 5 rounds.

It has vicious recoil, seriously, you have never felt recoil in a pistol like the 340, and it cost me over $600 at Sportsmans, but it's REAAALLLLY light, and easy to carry.[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I carry a S&W Model 63 when i backpack.

Its called a "Kit Gun" and is chambered for the .22 long rifle. The Kit Gun was introduced in 1936 ("Kit Gun" as in fishing or hunting kit and not "kit" as in to be assembled), has proven one of S&W's most enduringly popular items and has served as model for dozens of imitations and similar configurations from competing manufacturers. It's a true classic.

Neat revolver Iceaxe, the Kit Gun is a classic, and I bet it's a lot funner to shoot than my 340 hand frigging cannon.

Your .22lr revolver, is hands down the best survival weapon a fella could have, south of white bear country, in my opinion.

In a survival scenario the most likely animal food sources besides fish are birds, rodents, and reptiles, and a .22 is perfect for such tiny game.

You can easily carry 100 rounds or more, something you couldn't do with a shotgun, or a hand cannon, or a big bore rifle.

A .22 rifle would be more accurate, but too bulky to carry, and an automatic is by nature more complicated, and possibly prone to failure than a nice, simple revolver, in stainless.

No, the .22 isn't much against a large animal, but honestly, I bet the odds are you're far more likely to get lost and hungry than need to defend yourself against a larger mammal.

I have some shotshells in .357, but with a 2" barrel that bird would have to be close enough to touch.

I couldn't feed myself with my .357 unless there was a cow around.

There is a new product out for the person that wants the ultimate hand cannon, the Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull, 41 oz weight unloaded.

.454 ballistic numbers are incredible, approaching TWICE the power of a .44 mag.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/rgrRH/

DickHead
    Ouch! That fawker needs to be ported!!! I've shot a .454 out of a 6"bbl and it freaking hurt. I don't like the .454, but I'm slightly handgun-recoil sensitive. I prefer middle-calibers, unless its an auto, then its .45 acp all the way, baby!

As far as carrying a .22.....its a great survival round but I'm thinking personal defense against critters and whilst mountain biking.

I'd like to get an AR7 rifle one day, that would be a great companion on a backpacking trip.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/619835002006.html

I had a AR7 when I was a kid, and it was kinda' junky, but I loved it and would like another one because the whole idea is just so cool, the way it breaks down into one FLOATING piece, a plus for this kayaker.

I have a folding stock 10/22, and I could backpack with that, but without a scope it's still over twice the weight of an AR7, too heavy for a longer trip.

.45 acp is a great round, if a fella got one along with one of those .22lr conversion kits, maybe that would be a great survival gun.

I don't know if those conversion kits are practical to carry and swap in the field, but if you could get a smaller .45, like the Springfield Armory compacts, along with a .22 kit, that would pretty much rock, self defense and small game capabilities in a small package.

You guys scare me.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

This is the new camp gun/packing gun combo I'm looking at this year:

Camp Gun:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...=4801&return=Y

Pack Gun:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...=3425&return=Y

interchangable mags, good durability, reliable (for auto's, I do take the point on wheel guns and reliability).

Here's some pics:
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

I like that .40 pistol a lot, nice gun, I never understood why some people bad mouth Ruger autos, they make great pistols and have awesome customer service.

My buddy must have 10k rounds through his Ruger P-85 and it never misses a beat.

As far as the carbine, well, it's a matter of personal preference, but I have never seen the attraction to rifles chambered in pistol calibers, the commonality of the ammo is not enough to interest me. The interchangeable mag is pretty neat, I will admit though...

Best part about packin' a .22 is you can carry enough ammo to sit in camp and shot stuff.

Add 50 rounds of 9mm, .40, .375, yada, yada to your pack and you have added some serious weight. you will hardly notice a 100 rounds of .22 in you pack.

We all know how much fun it is to sit in camp and shot stuff..... the side benefit is nobody else camps near you.

DickHead
    I have a 12ga for when I'm car camping, and of course my scoped 10/22 goes with me then. Couple of bricks, some cans and the occassional critter, good times!
    I'm a big ruger fan. My last full sized auto was a P95DC 9mm. I'm currently more into CCW, so I think small. I've got a Taurus PT145, and that would go with me if I were to backpack, until I buy a snubnosed .357, anyway.
    The AR7 is a neat little package. Great way to harvest game out in the boonies, or just to provide cheap camp entertainment. I want to get one.
    I've kind of hijacked this thread, but here is my short list of gun wants:

Taurus .357 snubnosed revo.
    Springfield XD45 .45acp auto (brand spankin new model)
    AR7
    .357 Lever action rifle

I have a little chess set that I like to take. The board folds into the box that holds all of the pieces - so it is self contained, small, and very light weight.

I always take a magazine too. Usually Backpacker Magazine. A few different reasons; 1. I enjoy reading it, 2. it reminds me what I should have done, and 3. I use it as a brace in my first aid kit. If anyone should break an arm, I roll the magazine around it and use duct tape to secure it.
    scars are tattoos with better stories

I just got this (glock) a 19 a few weeks ago. I love how reliable it is. Concealability is also a +

I am using it as a practice weapon for when I have to qualify next year at the academy where I will be shooting a Glock 22 (.40 cal).
    Let's Roll