Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your "must haves" while backpacking? Optio

:-) heehee.

Well, as I read it I use the parts I've read for firestarter!! There have been times when I've come across someone else on the trail and we've traded halves of our books for more diverse reading material... kinda fun.

I"m really just a gun wussy, they scare me!!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    That's understandable. Now that I am actually educated about firearms safety, it actually frightens me to think of a situation where I wouldn't have one.

Anything can happen in the wilderness, and I'm not only talking about scary people. I've encountered moose several times, and thought about how accessible my handgun was, in case I had to fire it into the air to avoid a "trampling".

I'd like to see some bear when I'm hiking, but not too close. This isn't always something you can predict though.

A bullwhip can have the same effect, if you know how to use it.

Bogley BigShot
    [Also, if there's trees around, I love to pack a hammock. You can get a cheap one from Wal-Mart for 6 bucks. It weighs 1.25 lbs.

It sure is nice to put your feet up after you pack in.]

Sombeech --- You look far too comfortable! I might have to add one of those to my backpack list.

http://www.zionnational-park.com

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Walkers
    Thanks to all those that have come out of the closet and admit to including a pistol as a must have in their backpack or on their hip. For ever and a day I thought I was one of a very few, now I know better. I don't feel like the lone stranger any more. Not everyone on the trail is as friendly as this group. Think back over the years and remember those people that have lost their lives to the bad guy.
    I really really really want to buy a Total Titanium Taurus Tracker in .357mag. 4" bbl, ported, 7 shot, 2lbs before ammo!
    Consider taking a Women's gun safety course. Whether you decide that owning or carrying a gun isn't for you is fine, but in America not at least knowing the basics of gun safety is kind of like not knowing how to drive a car.
    DWR has a series of Outdoorswoman classes that include guns.
    http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/bow/
    Hunter's ed
    http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/huntereducation/
    NRA
    http://www.nrahq.org/women/index.asp
    Or call over to the Lee Kay Center and see if anyone will be offering any beginning gun classes
    Lee Kay Center for Hunter Education
    6000 West 2100 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84120
    (801) 972-1326
    If nothing else, it might help you overcome your fear of an inatimate object/tool.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Also, if there's trees around, I love to pack a hammock. You can get a cheap one from Wal-Mart for 6 bucks. It weighs 1.25 lbs.

It sure is nice to put your feet up after you pack in.

Sombeech --- You look far too comfortable! I might have to add one of those to my backpack list.
    Hey, they sure are nice. For all the CRAP I continually pack every time on my back, 1.25 lbs extra pays off.

Also, my handgun is an absolute must. I'll leave the hammock home if I have to. I had my hand on it as we were walking past some bear caves.

These caves just snuck up on us. We weren't looking for any trouble, but just imagine how long it takes to get your pack off and start running.

We'll never go in with the intention of killing something (besides fish).

What do you carry? Think it would be enough to stop a bear? I carry a 9 mm because I am poor but sure would like to get a .357 sometime soon.
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Bigben
    What do you carry? Think it would be enough to stop a bear? I carry a 9 mm because I am poor but sure would like to get a .357 sometime soon.
    I think a small hand gun would slow it down.......if your a decent shot.

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I think a small hand gun would slow it down.......if your a decent shot.
    Or possibly just piss it off

If one lives in true bear country, do as the Alaskans do....carry a pistol-grip 12ga. Around here I think the biggest threat is actually Cougars and two legged. Black bears usually avoid people. If you're in Griz country, well, just don't piss 'em off with a handgun.
    Backpacking is one of those instances where a compromise between carrying a handgun vs. a longgun certainly has a case.
    For all my backwoods fun at current I carry a .45 (taurus PT145). Loaded with FMJ ammo outdoors. If I'm car camping I've always got a 12ga pump and sometimes an SKS nearby.

Taurus and Smith sell .357 on up in very lightweight packages. If you're a real man, I guess you could carry this
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...07&isFirearm=Y
    [/url]

I had a .38, 6 shots. I know it wouldn't have knocked it down, but it would have given me a chance to throw my pack off and run away screaming like a little girl.

But it would have given me a chance to throw my pack off and run away screaming like a little girl.
    You got that RIGHT!

I agree with Shan about the wet wipes. I keep a pack in the car and even pocket one for the hike just in case my coffee starts kickin' in. I have several other "musts". I plan on taking ear plugs with me to the Supai for when we get a river side spot. The rushing water sounds soothing except in the middle of the night. Its slightly annoying at that point.
    When the goin' get tough, put your shoulder to the wheel or just Beat the train
    www.Beatthetrain.com

www.myspace.com/Beatthetrain

[quote]Consider taking a Women's gun safety course. Whether you decide that owning or carrying a gun isn't for you is fine, but in America not at least knowing the basics of gun safety is kind of like not knowing how to drive a car.
    [quote]

Nah, thanks. I really have no interest whatsoever in anything "gun". I have backpacked and hiked in bear country, all over, and never felt the need or desire to carry a gun... I like it that way.

Another essential I bring is a bandana. So useful for so many things - to keep my hair back, wiping sweat, stopping bleeding, washing...
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    I have backpacked and hiked in bear country, all over, and never felt the need or desire to carry a gun.
    In bear country it is advisable to wear 'bear bells', to warn the bears away, as well as carrying bear spray made from hot peppers. It is also a good idea to keep your eyes open for bear sign, particularly their scat (poop), and to know how to tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly scat -- black bear scat looks like human scat and is commonly full of seeds and berries. Grizzly scat is larger, full of bells, and smells like hot peppers...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Grizzly scat is larger, full of bells, and smells like hot peppers...
    How does it taste?

How does it taste?
    I'm not sure, you'll have to ask rockgremlin or accadacca.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    How does it taste?
    I'm not sure, you'll have to ask rockgremlin or accadacca.....
    Nice.

I'm a believer in the .357 myself but it is heavy, I carry a Dan Wesson with the 6" full lug barrel because it is one of the most accurate guns I've evr shot.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet is a candle lantern. I love mine and with the fire restrictions in CO over the past few years it's about as big a campfire as you're allowed

the bandana and camp shoes are high on my list too!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dbessee
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet is a candle lantern. I love mine and with the fire restrictions in CO over the past few years it's about as big a campfire as you're allowed
    Yeah, we've been dealing with some fire restrictions in the last few years, but they're letting up lately.

Until another boy scout brings fireworks.... like I did when I was that age.

But, I have never used a candle lantern. Do you have a pic of yours?

DickHead
    I just looked at the Tracker at Sportsman's. I'm sold, now I just need to put the money aside....
    $369 for a 7 shot, 3" .357 that weighs in at 2lbs unloaded......

But, I have never used a candle lantern. Do you have a pic of yours?
    Nope. But I have a digital camera so I'll take one and post it up for 'ya.

Don