Thread: Geocaching 101

Geocaching 101

I hope this can be a post where we can ask the dumb questions and have them answered. After all I don't have a clue and many others are just learning. I have seen a plethora of links on the UTAG site to other sites that explain a few things. But it would be good to just go over the basics. I hope you can put up with my greenness on this subject and others. This will be mush easier than having to search the UTAG forum manually. If you have a link that would take us to a specific site, post, or just web page, then feel free to post it.

What is a Travel bug and who tracks them?

What is a geocoin?
    I read a few posts briefly about them. It sounds like UTAG has their own?

Can you give some examples of some games that you play during these group events?

Something about nuts? I did stumble upon the Utah Cache Games site? What is this all about?
    Thank you in advance....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Geocaching 101

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    What is a Travel bug and who tracks them?
    A Travel Bug, or TB for short, is simply an item that has a special dog tag on it that has a TB# printed on it. These items are taken from one cache to another. When a cacher finds a TB he/she also logs the TB, then they put it into another cache. And once again they log the drop. In this way the TB's are tracked (by Geocaching.com, to answer the other part of the question) and their milage recorded. You can even look at a map of there each bug has been/gone.

What is a geocoin?
    I read a few posts briefly about them. It sounds like UTAG has their own?
    There are a few different kinds of geocoins. First you have those that are produced by Geocaching.com and are simply coins that are tracked in the same manner as a TB. There area also geocaoins that are made by/sold by various geocaching organizations. Some of these can also be tracked on geocaching.com, but others, like ours at UTAG, are only tracked on the organization's web site. Other geocaoins are simply signature items left my individual cachers or caching teams to say that they were at that particular cache.

Here's a link to a site showing examples of a lot of geocoins

And here's what the UTAG geocoins look like:

Sorry, I can't find an actual photo of one.

Can you give some examples of some games that you play during these group events?

Something about nuts? I did stumble upon the Utah Cache Games site? What is this all about?
    Thank you in advance....
    Uh, I'm still trying to figure these out too. Cach-U-Nuts is the guy to talk to about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy
    I just lost the ability to see, but I can still feel your butt looking at me!

Thanks for all your insight Black Mage. I guess I should register over at geocaching.com? Perhaps you guys consider it the dark side though?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage
    Uh, I'm still trying to figure these out too. Cach-U-Nuts is the guy to talk to about that.
    Anyone participated in this? I am not sure if Cache-U-Nuts is a user over here? Cool username BTW.

I forgot, you can also check out Cach-U-Nuts' web site, www.cachunuts.com, for more info on Utah caching games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy
    I just lost the ability to see, but I can still feel your butt looking at me!

Re: Geocaching 101

Thank you in advance....
    Nuts, or Cachunuts work just like Travel Bugs, except it's a Utah only "game" and you get points for moving them.