Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth

Google Earth

I might be the last one to discover this, but last week a friend showed me Google Earth and I am hooked now. It seems that Google bought out Keyhole (a dotcom startup company, which spent 4 years stitching together statilite & aerial photography photos) last year. I can see my dad's hot tub in his back yard, my brother's pond, and even the pyramids of Giza! Soo cool! Keep in mind that the photo's are 1-4 years old and are not current, it is amazing, AND scary at the same time!

http://earth.google.com/

Oh, and if you haven't used it yet, and want to, download the free software (10mb) and remember where you save it, because you have to click on it and unzip and install the software from there. You need a decent video card, and PC for it to work well. If you have a kick-ass video card, then you might be able to count the shingles on somebody's house!

Oh, and I was even able to find my favorite mtn bike trails in the photo's, as well as slickrock in Moab! Crazy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah I have seen it. Pretty amazing stuff.

You should check out the Pyramids when you get a chance. Very good photos of them! You can even see all the tombs & excavating around them.

hmmmmm.....you got a listing of all the best nude beaches in the world handy?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    hmmmmm.....you got a listing of all the best nude beaches in the world handy?
    Ditto.

You'll probably only be able to see really fat people though.

Yeah, I have to second what sombeech said. Only the fat people would show up, however, I betcha the CIA could zoom right in on a person close enough to see if they have tattoos, or, ahem, a young lady with healthy lungs...

Of course rockgremlin had to chime in with the perverted take.
    If you have some time derstuka see if you can zoom in on the Playboy mansion.

The eagle has landed captain! Well, I think I have the mansion at least. If I had a better video card I could zoom in better. I know that they have a HUGE backyard with all kinds of stuff in it. Incase you have a better one, the address is: 405 Hilgard Ave LA Los Angeles CA 90095, or incase Hugh ever invites you over!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Of course rockgremlin had to chime in with the perverted take.
    Whatever!!! You're practically worse than I am! You're just pissed cause I thought of it first.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Actually, I was kinda jealous that it was thought of before me. If those thoughts are perverted, then I have more pervertion that the three of you combined!

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    Actually, I was kinda jealous that it was thought of before me. If those thoughts are perverted, then I have more pervertion that the three of you combined!

Just pokin' the ribs a bit. But really you should be ashamed.........see anything at the mansion?

Yeah, I saw Pam Anderson and Jessica Alba putting on suntan lotion for a photo shoot, you should check it out!

I went to Google earth, and I can't download .exe files at work!!

I hate my server.

I've been messing around on the Terraserver for a while. It's pretty cool. Does Google Earth get better resolution?

Terraserver:
    http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/

Can you only view the US thru the terraserver thingy? Looks like maybe...

Yeah, probably.

Maybe I will have somebody e-mail me the google one...

For me to be able to receive a .exe file through email, it has to be zipped, and then sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Does Google Earth get better resolution?
    It depends I think. Most of the photos looks the same, but from what I saw on terraserver, you can't zoom in as far close as google earth; however, many times zooming in more will only cause it to blur/distort. I think that both of them do better around large cities, and not as well around some rural areas. Just depends on the photos that they got. Google earth is cool because you can look at any place on the earth, not just the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Maybe I will have somebody e-mail me the google one.
    It is 10mb!! I just zipped it and put it on the server for you and anyone else that needs the zip file.

Pretty cool program for free. Tell me if it works?

http://uutah.com/forum/files/GoogleEarth.zip

Just got it.

Very impressive! I'm going to make a little list of my favorite spots.

This can be a great guide for trail reports! I'll find out how to save the images, and post them along with each trip report.

Holy crap this thing rocks.

The more I play around with it, I see that it SMOKES terraserver.

Play with the tilt feature. It will turn it into a 3D model.

Look at Moab, UT.

It places you near Lion's back, and just play around with it.

derstuka, you da man!

That thing is awesome. Scary, but awesome. I'm just amazed that I can follow roads all the way from my house to say, NYC. The crazy thing is that this is a child's toy compared to the technology the government has their hands on.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into