View Poll Results: Have you ever been Geocaching?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've heard about it, and would like to learn more

5 19.23%
  • Nope

5 19.23%
  • Yep

16 61.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching

Geocaching

For those who do not know what it is, this activity requires a GPS. You will receive coordinates from a certain source, usually internet or some other source, and you will go to this spot using your GPS.

Most of the time, the rules will require you to bring something that you can leave in the spot, as you will most likely retrieve the item that was previously left.

Here's one site I found on the activity. http://www.geocaching.com/

This hobby has a decent sized following in Utah, and I am curious how many of us have ever done this. Please take the poll above. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We could hide AC/DC albums for the prize!

Good idea. I guess anybody could have interest in this if the prize was right.

I've done some geocaching. I think it's alot of fun. It's not quite as easy as you might think. Sure your gps will get you in the area but then the searching begins, under rocks, in trees and bushes. If you happen to be on steep terrain the cache could actually be in a very large vacinity considering the gps doesn't account for elevation.

I mostly do it when I'm already headed some where, we make it a side attraction when we are going on a hike or out on vacation. Once in awhile when I've got a lazy day we'll hop in the car and go find 4-5 in the afternoon.

I haven't gotten into hiding them yet but I'm sure that would make it even more fun. It's also a great activity if you've got kids. My girl isn't old enought but my buddy had a couple toddler age kids and they loved to run arould and try to find the treasure that was hidden.

That sounds interesting. I've never done it myself, but I'm learning more.

I guess you can always search for the item, and just leave it there if you don't have a replacement?

I've never traded anything, it's fun to just go find it and sign the log.

The travel bugs are cool, I haven't come across one but if I do I'd take it and drop it off somewhere else.

I have heard of it, but never tried it.

I have done orienteering at camps that require a map and compass. That was kind of cool. You look for flags under stuff at the locations then it has the coordinates for the next flag. I guess that's like geocaching?

If you find a travel bug in a cache you pick it up and then drop it off somewhere else, you then go to the geocaching site and report where you picked it up and where you dropped it off. The idea is to see the route the bug takes through its geocaching lifetime.

For instance if I picked one up in Yellowstone, I could then take it down to Zion NP. Someone from New York could pick it up in Zion and then take it back to NY.

There are several different games to play other than just finding a cache and leaving it at that. The geocache website will explain all of it.

Some of the caches can be quite technical requiring climbing, repelling, and experience. I've heard of some that have been hidden in the middle of a waterfall half way down the drop, now that one would be fun. I've also heard of guys caching $100 bills in very hard to find caches.

I found 31 around Greenriver Wyoming over the july 4th weekend, 7 last weekend around vernal/little valley. This game takes me to places I would never go otherwise.

This be my first post here at UUTAH, cool site you have here. We've enjoyed geocaching for a couple years now. It's one of many things that we like to do that gets us out of the house. The $100 dollars in a cache you mentioned was place by friends of ours, the DeViDe's. It was their one-hundredth geocache.

Sorry that Accadacca's first post at utahgeocachers.com was such a downer.('') What can I say?? Hopefully you'll all take a moment and go to our site and read up on GeoCaching. It can be habit forming, kinda like flyfishing, once you start you can't stop.

The Wind Walkers, At Utahgeocachers.com AKA J&L Lee

"We're Not Lost, We Know Exactly Where We Stand!"

Hey all, I found this forum through accadacca's intro posts on the UTAG (Utag Association of Geocachers) forums. After which one of our members "pounced" on him, in a manner of speaking. Don't mind MOCKBA, Accadacca, I've only met him once, but he's a good guy, and I've heard his caches are top-rate, though I have yet to find one of them.

Anyway, I've been caching for about three-and-a-half-ish years now. Lot's of fun and it get's you out on the trail to a lot of great places I would have otherwise never found.

Hi,

We are avid GeoCachers and are excited to be part of your group. GeoCaching is a great way to have fun and see new places. We have been to some really great places looking for caches, places that we would have never known about if we hadn't gone looking for a little box in the wilderness.
    We go caching for the exercise, the thrill, the beauty, not to see what is in the box. Most of the time there isn't anything very exciting to trade for. We usually just sign the log and leave our GeoToken.

Any way Accadacca, thanks for the invite to your group. Hope to see you on the UTAG forums as well. Things are generally peaceful and pleasant there.

Quote Originally Posted by DeViDe
    Any way Accadacca, thanks for the invite to your group. Hope to see you on the UTAG forums as well. Things are generally peaceful and pleasant there.
    Which is more than can be said about the forums at Geocaching.com, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy
    I just lost the ability to see, but I can still feel your butt looking at me!

If anyone would like to try out GeoCaching just let us know. We would be happy to take you on a hunt and let you see how it works.

Any of you Geocachers ever get accused of
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Yeah welcome to you guys. Be sure to put a post in the newbies section. Good to have some resident experts on the site. As you will read in my post over on the UTAG site. My GPS is down at the moment. Several members here have requested a geocachng area. We have also talked about a few a games. Thank you for your kind words after my beating over on UTAG. We'll see how things go now. I think that life is to short to get worked up over things. Inviting a few outdoor lovers to enjoy this site was my only intention. I hope you enjoy the site, we are glad to have you.

Just got my e-mail, so it looks like I've been accepted into this illustrious group, too.

Wow...this forum has some really cool emoticons. I will have to hijack some of those.

I, of course, also came here by way of the UTAG forums post by accadacca. And am looking forward to enjoying these as well. Been caching since April of 2001 and still going strong, with a few lapses. Caching has introduced me to mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, skiing, scuba, snowshoeing, offroading (to a lesser extent) and plans are to add X-country skiing to that mix this coming winter. Too many great places to see in this state, and you have to adapt to see them all.

Count me in as another geocacher coming to you from the UTAG forums. I'm relatively new at this, but it sure is fun. We went down to Green River to the Swell (thanks, DeViDe ) for a caching event. That's something we never would have done without the geocaching.

You know that is what I have been hearing from all cachers. That they get to see parts of Utah that they would normally never see. That is very intriguing.. I went mountain biking with fourtycal this week and he told me about some of his adventures. If he was on his motorcycle he would just load the coordinates and ride. He would go down roads that he would normally not take and see new new things.

He saw favorite locations of others. Places that people grew up spending time in and wanted to share. Also areas with a great view or some other significance. Not just the cach to find but the adventure getting there and finding the new place that you get to visit. Very cool!