Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Provo River tubing/kayaking

Provo River tubing/kayaking

I tubed the provo today. I wouldn't call it one of the premier adventures of the state, but it is something wet to do on a hot summer day. Besides popping one tube and having to ride double with one of my roommates (yes I know that sounds bad but it was a big tube ) it was a pretty nice two hour trip. People do it in small rafts, kayaks, fishing catarafts, inner tubes, kmart snow tubes, etc. The water is cold enough to get a little numb in, but the air is hot enough to prevent hypothermia and make it just about right on a hot summers day. Fly fisherman are usually visibly irritated that they have to share the river with so many giggling co-eds. I don't really feel bad for them. (did i mention this is a popular activity around Provo/BYU?)

The tubing section typically starts as close to the dam as you can manage to get to the river (there is a side-road and a bridge several hundred yards below the dam, shortly after the railroad underpass, that is an ideal/normal spot but any pullout will do). Possible takeouts include Vivian Park (the big nice bridge for the road up south fork) or 15 minutes down canyon at the White Trash trailer park where the "Rent Rafts and Tubes Here" sign is. Oh and you can rent rafts, tubes and kayaks there. It ends up being like 8 dollars a piece unless they've upped prices. You need to have a car at the top and at the bottom or hitch hike, unless you rent from that place and then they drive you up, which is nice. We usually take car tubes, but be warned they pop easily. The river is usually between 2 and 4 feet deep and moves pretty fast. Hazard #1 is the Railroad bridge (right after the car bridge near the middle). You can walk around, but most people float through without a problem. It becomes a dangerous obstacle at high water because it is at a bad angle to the current. Hazard #2 is logs. These are easily avoidable, just watch out. Distant third and fourth are rocks and a few riffles (class 1+).

Below the normal takeouts and near bridal veil is a class IV section only suitable for kayaks at higher water flows. Scout this section and be prepared before attempting it.

Below the class IV section is more class I and II for a few miles before you hit a small reservoir behind a dam. I've done this in an Inflatable Kayak and it was definitely a little harder than the upper section but there is less water and its short.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That sounds like a blast. I'll have to try it some day.

I've always had a great time up at Lava Hot Springs, tubing down the river up there. There's a couple of drop offs that you can go down, averaging about 4 to 5 feet high. You have to walk a few feet above the normal entrance, but they are well worth it.

I'm going over the 24th, and I'll buy a little waterproof camera.

But anyways, regarding the Provo river, I'm not too familiar with it. Is the entrance near Kamas? I've seen a few parts of it, up in the Uintas, but not much down lower. I've got a few pics, and I imagine that you don't tube down this part. I'd try it though, if somebody was filming.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    But anyways, regarding the Provo river, I'm not too familiar with it. Is the entrance near Kamas?
    It is the Provo River below Deer Creek Reservoir, which is below Heber. We're talking 15 miles above Provo city in Provo Canyon.

Hey Mr. Utah...... Check out the comments from these jokers about the interference of redneck rafting to fisherman.

Comments anyone.......

http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11369

I think the best way to avoid getting caught on either side, is to go tubing WITH a fly rod.
    They can't say you're screwing the fishermen, because you ARE one. And you can't complain about the tubers and rafters, because you ARE one.

BTW, I'm missing the Mr Utah thing. Is rock_ski_cowboy just one sexy animal? Is that where the name comes from?

BTW, I'm missing the Mr Utah thing. Is rock_ski_cowboy just one sexy animal? Is that where the name comes from?
    Well that too........
    Shan called him that last week and I thought it was funny. We joked about it on the Olympus hike.

Post: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php...ighlight=#2306

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Hey Mr. Utah...... Check out the comments from these jokers about the interference of redneck rafting to fisherman.

Comments anyone.......

http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11369
    Ah, the joy of shared resources. I do feel bad for these guys, but theres really nothing they or any of us can do about it. I can also see why trying to fish in such conditions must be frustrating. Solution: if it makes you so unhappy, find somewhere else to fish.

As for a fishing license giving them rights to water resources thats bull...

those are awesome pics sombeech! hell, I think it would be fun kayaking down those rapids!

Stay tuned for next week. I'm going to Lava Hot Springs this weekend to do some tubin'.

I'll bring a waterproof camera. You've got to see these cool little drop offs.

Be back on Monday.

I'll be looking forward to the pics!

Yeah, I can't wait to get out of here. I'll be there Thurs to Saturday, so plenty of tubin.

Gotcha pics buddy?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

I was up Provo Canyon last weekend and saw all the people floating the river in tubes. I really want to do this, but can

I run this river in tubes all the time. My directions are sketchy at best because I have never paid attention to the mileage. If you go past the upper parking lot it's not a big deal there are places to turn around and go back. There are alot of turn outs along the way, if you want the most bang for your buck be patient you will be able to tell the right one when you get to it.

Going up Provo canyon we usually park a car at Vivian park, sometimes the parking lot is full and you have to park on the side of the highway. You can park a car lower than that but I never have.
    the
    Then in the second car you drive through the tunnel and past the Sundance turnoff. The drop in point is pretty far past the turn off. I would guess at mileage but I'm sure I would be way off. The dirt parking area is fairly close to Deer Creek Dam. You cannot see the dam from the parking area. The Parking area is just a big dirt area, there is usually a bunch of poeple there filling up tubes and crap. If you get to the campground that is up there, or an easier land mark is the train bridge. If you get to that you are too far. Park and walk down the hill to the river.

There isn't really any rapids that would flip a tube or raft, unless you are really goofy, but I always make everyone wear a life jacket. There is a bridge that has some columns made of railroad ties going in the water and the current can push you against the ties and flip you over or pop your tube. you can get out on either side of the river and walk around it and get in under it. It is right after a left turn but you have plenty of time to steer clear if you want. You can always just stay to the right of the river and the water is really calm under the bridge next to the shore.
    I have always tubed/rafted throught the colums and haven't had a problem. I aim for a column and the current will push you into the left of the column you aim for and then just position yourself to push of the column to the right, don't get your body between the raft and column or you could really hurt it.

A way down the river from that is a big rock that has an eddie behind it, I'm not sure that is what it is called. But the current behind the rock runs in the opposite direction. If you just chill a bit the current will grap you and you will be back on track. The rock is right after a bunch of homes on the left side of the river. The rock is kindof on the right after the homes. There are usually hippies playing on the rock. Sometimes there is a grumpy old lady that will yell at you for endangering your kids on the river so think up something cool to rebuke her when you go past the houses.

Other than that it is pretty calm with some very small rapid parts. It only takes about 45 minutes to and hour to run that section. Dont forget the sunscreen!
    The man thong is wrong.

Sorry I forgot. I always take my kids with me. Last time we went it was My wife and my 1 and 4 year old girls in a little cheap 3 man raft. My 6 year old daughter rode on my lap in the blow up tube.

And the water is freezing cold. I get used to it after a bit but it hurts at first. Some people have suggested wetsuits, I think that would be too hot though. My kids have done fine without them, but they are usually out of the water unless they get hot and want to cool off.
    The man thong is wrong.

Yeah, I can't wait to get out of here. I'll be there Thurs to Saturday, so plenty of tubin.
    Dude, go out and buy the W30 already You keep talking about it, out of all the people you probably do the most sunny watery activities. Don't buy the junker single user waterproof cameras, they are junk. Step up to the real men camera!

Have fun tubing, if you want to float Provo, let me know. It's a great beginner rafting river for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Dude, go out and buy the W30 already
    Yeah, I need to. First of all, I need another camcorder though.

BTW, this thread was over 2 years old.

The river may be too low already this year, but here is a trip report for the lower section of the Provo River from the mouth of the canyon down to Utah Lake done on an air mattress. http://canyonsadventurecraze.blogspo...s-rafting.html
    Name:  GOPR0424.jpg
Views: 5363
Size:  93.8 KB

That's awesome man! Funny video!

So is Provo way too low now?