Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grayling

A couple years back I had good grayling success at Caroline Lake along the Highline trail. We didn't catch anything huge but between 2 of us we probably caught 15 during the one evening we were there. My recollection is that we used a bh prince nymph just a couple feet below the surface.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    I was just told by others that they didn't like the surface all that much. But, as I can see now I was misled..
    i hope the grayling in alaska never get wind of this. i have had days, where the game was to find a dry fly, that wouldn't get a grayling to rise for it.

royal wulff's, royal coachman, parachute adams, double ugly (its like a double renegade), elk hair caddis, and humpy. those are my favorites.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I will be hitting a couple of Grayling occupied lakes again this summer. Thanks for the tips

Hopefully I will be able to snag some big ones too
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    i hope the grayling in alaska never get wind of this. i have had days, where the game was to find a dry fly, that wouldn't get a grayling to rise for it.

royal wulff's, royal coachman, parachute adams, double ugly (its like a double renegade), elk hair caddis, and humpy. those are my favorites.
    For sure. I guess I'm grayling spoiled. When we go to Fairbanks we go out to a cabin on the Clearwater and the river is chock full of grayling. The game is to see who's dry fly will catch the most fish! I've had grayling rise to nothing more than a hook and a piece of unwound feather! Then at night we'll tie super crazy wild dry flies to see if they'll work and they always do. I've had hours where we've caught 50-60 grayling if not more.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    For sure. I guess I'm grayling spoiled. When we go to Fairbanks we go out to a cabin on the Clearwater and the river is chock full of grayling. The game is to see who's dry fly will catch the most fish! I've had grayling rise to nothing more than a hook and a piece of unwound feather! Then at night we'll tie super crazy wild dry flies to see if they'll work and they always do. I've had hours where we've caught 50-60 grayling if not more.
    HOLY CRAP!!!! That is awesome. Alaska would be so much fun to fish. Although, the fishing I hear about the most is always from a cruise ship ha ha.

I've caught lots of Grayling in Round, Sand and Fish Lake up Dry Fork in the Uintas. I've always used a fly behind a bubble up there. Not any really big ones up there though. Last summer we took the Scouts to China lake and caught some really nice sized Grayling. At China Lake the thing that worked best was a Rapala minnow immitation. I like eating Grayling more than I do Trout.

I was up at China Lake right at the end of the season last year and we didn't catch a thing. I was frustrated because I always catch something. I asked several people around the lake and not a soul was catching anything.

every other time at that lake we just slayed them non stop. But, now knowing there are grayling in there.... I may have to go back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    I was up at China Lake right at the end of the season last year and we didn't catch a thing. I was frustrated because I always catch something. I asked several people around the lake and not a soul was catching anything.

every other time at that lake we just slayed them non stop. But, now knowing there are grayling in there.... I may have to go back this year.
    I logged off and realized that it was Marsh Lake that we were at last year. Not China.... The road was blocked off to China so we decided not to fish there. I had my lakes mixed up. We aren't on that side of the mountains very often.

When we were done there though, we drove around to the North slope and Hit Butterfly, Pass, and Lily Lakes. We caught a few but you could tell the season was ending that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by saunastubes View Post
    The graying is a unique fish and it can easily identifiable by its high and broad dorsal fin. A almost neon blue color on its body and fins. Fly fishing, Alaska gray-lings are both prized and easy to catch. Alaska gray-lings do have a few preferences. They tend to like active, moving insects, smaller insects and also dry flies. The fish will also feed on minnows and crustaceans, though traditional light flies seem to be the most effective. There are fish like to use hot tubs in the sea or river.
    im seeing a theme in his posts. hot tubs.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Grayling are abundant and easy to catch in Grebe lake at Yellowstone National park. I have caught a few hundred using leach patterns on a flyrod.