Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grayling

DickHead

Grayling

I'm thinking about picking a day and going after some Grayling. I know they ain't very big, but the photos and bragging rights would be worth it, IMHO. Also, I understand several areas to snag them require a small hike, which seems like a good time. This is going to have to be by the end of the month, I'm sure, because of the longer days. Any suggestions on where to go and what to use? Anyone interested in a mid-week day trip after some?

This is from another web board

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Chivato and I caught a couple of arctic grayling at China Meadows, up in the Uintahs.

This picture was taken with a 35mm camera, and now I realize I should have zoomed in on the fish a little more.

They are hard to catch because of their small mouths, but we managed to pull in atleast 2 of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BTW, I believe we were using nymphs. We weren't having any luck with floating flys. They were all feeding under the surface.

DickHead
    Tell me more! Where can I access China Meadows? Other species in there?
    When was that trip?

The trip was probably a year ago.

It was fairly easy to get to. I drove my Ford Taurus, so the road was good. It was a populated area though, so it was a little difficult to find a spot that hadn't been hammered.

China Meadows is just south of Bridger Lake, and West of Henry's Fork. I believe we went through Mountain View Wyo., and from there, it's a little fuzzy on what roads we took. Like I said, it was a main area, so there were campgrounds and everything.

I've got a map here of the Uintas, and it looks like there's a good dirt road that goes all the way through it.

I've heard that this is one of the few places that you can catch arctic grayling.

I just got back from a hike in grayling fish-a-thon. I caught over 50 of them. The lake also has some very nice sized ones. We are sure one day we'll find the state record up there. Last year I caught one that was just over 18". I didn't get a good picture of it but here's one that went 17".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WOW

Nice pic. Where was that?

Love the avatar BTW.

Damn Wilbur! That's a big grayling! I am not sure if he'll give up where he caught that one?

I know this is an old thread but I just though I would post some info on it too!!!!! here are a couple pics from our trip for grayling in 2010. I could only find one of the grayling, and it is only an 11 incher but I must say that it was a fighter. One of the most difficult fish to catch ever. There are also a couple of Brookies that were out of the same lake and an albino rainbow that was caught after we hiked back to the truck and caught a lake on the drive out.

Name:  DSCN0653..jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  79.4 KBName:  DSCN0648..jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  103.1 KBName:  DSCN0642..jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  65.7 KB

The Grayling came out of Marjorie Lake in the Uinta Mountains. And the Albino came out of Butterfly Lake.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Nice! I would love to get into some Grayling. Is Marjorie Lake the same thing as Margie Lake in Rock Creek?

Its not the same no. Marjorie Lake is 2.5 miles from the Crystal Lake Trail head which starts Next to Crystal Lake which is kinda between Washington Lake and Trial Lake off of the Mirror Lake Highway.

I hope this helps, I pinned the board with Marjorie, Washington, Mirror Lake Highway, and Margie Lake.

Name:  Margie Lake to Ma&#1.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  99.6 KB

I'm still fairly new to Bogley so I don't really know how the map thing works, so if it shows up then YAY!!!!

Last edited by dmMatrix; 06-09-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: showed the wrong lake

I was just down by that Marjorie Lake in October but we didn't head over to it. But then when I went looking on the map all I could find was Margie Lake. Thanks.

Yeah, Marjorie is a nice little hike and a neat lake to fish. The grayling were tough for me to catch with a fly behind a bubble, but I got bites all day using a BH prince nymph.

I eventually caught one (yay, 6 inches or so), but should've had dozens.

Boulder Mtn is where the next record is coming from though. There are a couple of lakes down there that have really nice ones.

One of the Row Lakes has some big ones and Pear does too. Quite a few lakes have had them for a long time, but not all of them are easy to catch between the brookies.

The record isn't all that big though:
    [I]
    1998; 1 lb. 12 oz.; L: 17-
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Wow, and it looks like you caught it with a fly pole too!!! Awesome, everyone tells me that is rough since the don't come all the way to the surface all that often. Ours definitely weren't that big.

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    Wow, and it looks like you caught it with a fly pole too!!! Awesome, everyone tells me that is rough since the don't come all the way to the surface all that often. Ours definitely weren't that big.
    Who says a fly rod must be fished at the surface?

Killer fish, LOAH.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Who says a fly rod must be fished at the surface?

Killer fish, LOAH.
    Good point... I am still a newbie on the fly pole.... My wife is a slayer with it though.

Oh, I've still never caught anything on the fly rod with a dry (surface). Had one hooked once, but it got off.

Plenty of fish on nymphs though. The grayling above ate a copper john and many of his buddies took a killer caddis.

I forgot to mention:

On my trip to Marjorie a few years back, the guy I went with caught a solid 14 inch grayling and decided to keep it for dinner. When he opened up the belly, who'da thunk it, but it had some skeletons in it from small fish.

Even with those tiny mouths, they'll prey on other fish if given the opportunity. Crazy huh?

Since I'm an avid minnow fisherman, I think I'll give that route a go with my #2 rod this year...Just to see if I can score on it.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

I've had success for them in Marjorie. I've even caught a few of them in Washington Lake.
    I've had the most success for them in Round Lake up the Dry Fork of the Weber River.

I was surprised at the earlier post that said they don't come all the way to the surface all that often- that's where I've caught the majority of them. A size 16 black ant has been money for me.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    I've had success for them in Marjorie. I've even caught a few of them in Washington Lake.
    I've had the most success for them in Round Lake up the Dry Fork of the Weber River.

I was surprised at the earlier post that said they don't come all the way to the surface all that often- that's where I've caught the majority of them. A size 16 black ant has been money for me.
    I have just never seen them on the surface is all. I was just told by others that they didn't like the surface all that much. But, as I can see now I was misled. I'm just happy to be expanding my knowledge so much with Bogley. Best outdoor site ever.